• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon/Lime/Citrus Curd: The Topic

bloviatrix

I tried making a double batch of PH's Lemon Cream. It tastes great but I stirred over a double boiler for almost 2 hours and still never got the mixture to 180 as the recipe states it should. I think I managed 170 and by that time I'd had enough. The recipe says it should take 10 minutes. I figured it would take a bit longer because I doubled it but what's going on? I used a digital timer and a candy thermometer. The candy thermomter actually never read over 150 but it could be because it was on the edge of the pan.

I used half of it in a mousse which tastes great and the other half is in my fridge to be used in tarts. It is very thick and I'm wondering how I get it into tart shells now. I'd like it to have a smooth top so I can finish it with apple jelly and berries. Can I heat it up until it's fluid enough or will this negate the effect of the time spent in the blender? Any ideas from someone who's used this recipe?

K8's right... next time crank up the fire. My arm would have fallen off long before two hours' time! The only time I have problems with non-climbing temperatures is when the a/c comes on and the overhead vent blows directly downward and into the pan, cooling off the contents. :sad:

I would think that you should be able to fill your tart shells after allowing the lemon cream come to room temperature, then giving it a good stir. With all that butter in there, it should chill up nicely for you.

Di

I tried making a double batch of PH's Lemon Cream. It tastes great but I stirred over a double boiler for almost 2 hours and still never got the mixture to 180 as the recipe states it should. I think I managed 170 and by that time I'd had enough. The recipe says it should take 10 minutes. I figured it would take a bit longer because I doubled it but what's going on? I used a digital timer and a candy thermometer. The candy thermomter actually never read over 150 but it could be because it was on the edge of the pan.

I am certain that the problem lies with your double-boiler set-up. If you set up a good system, you'll reach the right temp in less than 25 minutes. I use a large a large stainless mixing bowl (6 or 7qts) set over a large pot with a few cups of simmering water. The mixing bowl sets down into the pot of water, forming a loose seal, keeping the steam under the bowl. With this set-up, it takes less than 10 minutes to reach 180. It also speeds up the rate at which the lemon cream cools down to 140F (at which point you start beating in the butter).

Use a large pot for the water, and a large bowl for the lemon cream. That way you maximize the surface area across which heat exchange occurs, and shorten the time it takes. If you'd like, I can post a picture later on showing you my setup. But I think you get the point.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks for the advice guys! I think you're right. Towards the end I did crank the heat but that didn't help. I was using a 2-quart glass measure over a small pot to seal but that left the mixture quite deep. It looks like I'm going to need to buy a better sized SS bowl. :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Aha! No wonder it took so long -- glass is a very, very poor conductor of heat. Just to follow-up, here is an example of a set-up that will get you up to temp in no time:

Clickity-click

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, that's Herme's lemon cream. Easily one of the best-tasting substances in the known universe.

I made PH's lemon cream this weekend. It tastes like a bit of ambrosia to me! All other lemon cream receipes will be put on the back shelf and this one will be a standby. Very creamy, rich and tart all at the same time!

I had no problem getting the mixture to 180 degrees. I don't own a double boiler, so rigged up a system with a smallish stainless steel saucepan inside a larger one. The small top pan did not touch the boiling water. What did surprise me though, was how quickly it cooled to 140 degrees - the temp at which you add the butter.

I made a tart with some of it and spread freshly whipped cream over the top (just to add a few more calories :biggrin: ). I ate some straight out of the bowl as I could not seem to stop myself, and mixed the last bit with fresh BC strawberries in a ramekin and the leftover whipped cream on top of that.

Fabulous!!!!!!!!

Life is short, eat dessert first

Fabulous indeed. That stuff makes for an awesome, and easy, lemon tart as well.

Patrick or anyone else who's used PH's Lemon Cream... do you think I could use it to make lemon squares on a shortbread crust and then freeze till needed?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Okay, so I'm completely confused by all these different opinions.  I've made S. Yard's curd before and really liked it.  I've been thinking of trying RLB's mousseline buttercream from the Cake Bible which, to make lemon flavored, says to mix in lemon curd.  If you were doing that, which curd would you use in order to ensure you had a bright lemon flavor.

I'm pretty late to this thread, but RLB's mousseline BC recipe works fine with just lemon juice added. I did a batch a few weeks ago and thought it tasted great. (I haven't tried the MBC with lemon curd yet.)

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Patrick or anyone else who's used PH's Lemon Cream... do you think I could use it to make lemon squares on a shortbread crust and then freeze till needed?

I've never frozen it, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that.

I noticed the Cooks Illustrated link above, but it no longer worked. Has anyone tried their recipe? It is really fantastic. It has a tablespoon of heavy cream, which reallys rounds it out. I'll post if anyone wants to compare.

-Becca

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I noticed the Cooks Illustrated link above, but it no longer worked. Has anyone tried their recipe? It is really fantastic. It has a tablespoon of heavy cream, which reallys rounds it out. I'll post if anyone wants to compare.

-Becca

Oh, yes please.

Cooks Illustrated's Lemon Curd-

1/3 cup lemon juice

2 large eggs

1 egg yolk

1/2 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

1 tablespoon heavy cream

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

pinch table salt

Heat lemon juice in a non-reactive saucepan over medium heat but not boiling. Whisk eggs and yolk in medium nonreactive bowl; gradually whisk in sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot lemon juice into eggs, then return mixture to the pan and cook constantly with wooden spoon, nutil mixture registers 170 degrees and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes.

Immediately remove pan from heat and stir in cold butter until incorporated; stir in cream, vanilla, and salt, then pour curd through fine-mesh strainer into small non-reactive bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until needed.

-Becca

Wendy - I totally agree about the whipping of eggs and sugar before cooking. Completely wasted effort since adding liquid and cooking will remove all the air you worked so hard to incorporate.

I'm surprised you bring your curd to a full boil. You don't find you get a curdled, grainy texture? Also, if you wanted to bake it in a tart shell I'm afraid it wouldn't set up properly since the eggs had already been cooked as far as they could go.

Wendy and Nightscotsman, I was wondering about the whipping too. So I went back and read the fine cooking article online. She explained her reasoning and it really makes sense. Here is the address.

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00197.asp

-Becca

I think this would work. The cream is quite stiff so it cuts beautifully in a tart form. It should be stiff enough for a lemon square.

I have never frozen the lemon cream, but looking at the ingredients I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Try it! :biggrin:

Life is short, eat dessert first

• 3 weeks later...
can you freeze lemon curd than deforst it and use ..

I was just wondering

thanks

wouldn't it split after defrosting ? like all egg sauces, mayonaise and custard and so forth. mmmmmmmmmmmm... may be a little bit of corn flour as a thickener might help, Just wondering too, I want to know too. anyone ?

You can actually freeze it. I recently did and it worked out fine. It was a standard batch with no gelatine and responded just fine - perhaps a little thinner but overall OK. I would add a little gelatine next time. Maybe just a sheet or two to an 8 egg batch.

• 1 month later...

I've run into a problem and I'm wondering if anyone can help. I've just made lemon tarts in mini-muffin size shells using PH's lemon curd. I piped in the curd but didn't smooth the top. Then I put melted apple jelly on top to glaze and pressed a single apple jelly-glazed blueberry into each. When I pushed the blueberry in to flatten the top, cracks appeared in the lemon curd. Of course I didn't notice this till they were all done. I usually smooth the lemon cream before putting the apple jelly on so I can just set the blueberry on top but couldn't see a reason why I couldn't skip this step. Well now I know but in the meantime I have these cracked tops. Is there anything I can do to fix them? Maybe set them in a slightly warm oven for a bit? I don't have time to remake them and I'm fortunate they are for a family event so all will be forgiven but I would have liked a better appearance. Any ideas? I've got them in the fridge right now.

I don't know of how to fix this now that it's done. You could attempt another layer of your jelly over this, if your certain it won't crack either. Or if your desperate.....you could sprinkle some find white chocolate shavings over them if they'll stick to your glazed area......sort of hiding what's beneath.