• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon/Lime/Citrus Curd: The Topic

bloviatrix

On 6/13/2018 at 4:44 PM, Soupcon said:

@Anna N Never too late to reply. Well I have found a method for making lemon curd in a blender (Vitamix or blender of it's kind) which can be made in about 6 minutes. The Vitamix does all the cooking. I usually use a recipe calling for whole eggs and which brings the curd to a simmer for a minute to two and tweaked it for the Vitamix. Bloody genius. The finished product needs to be stashed in the fridge to set. Yummmm. See "thekitchn.com for the method. Use what ever recipe you like and tweak it to fit. 

I somehow missed this post.  I will be trying that method.  I like that it uses whole eggs.  I hate using just whites or yolks - I always save them vowing to use them and usually end up tossing them.

@Avachocolate - that is incredibly beautiful!  What kind of meringue? 

On 2/14/2020 at 4:19 PM, Avachocolate said:

@Cahoot....the Pierre Herme recipe sets up beautifully...I use it all the time in our Lemon Tart, don't even use a baked shell for it.

Screenshot_20200215-071636_Instagram-01.jpeg

wow so beautiful!! I've done this recipe and added gelatin to it but I take it that's not what you did? Did you just cook the curd, blend it then pour into the form with a liner and chill or cook it again? great work

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I somehow missed this post.  I will be trying that method.  I like that it uses whole eggs.  I hate using just whites or yolks - I always save them vowing to use them and usually end up tossing them.

@Avachocolate - that is incredibly beautiful!  What kind of meringue? 

Just a basic Italian meringue...piped directly on, not baked

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AAQuesada said:

wow so beautiful!! I've done this recipe and added gelatin to it but I take it that's not what you did? Did you just cook the curd, blend it then pour into the form with a liner and chill or cook it again? great work

Thank you...

You are correct, no gelatine, ...just cooked, strained, poured into a form and chilled...sets up beautifully

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I always mix everything together  with a mixer until all incorporated and the cook. The mouth feel is great and the color is always a creamy yellow. It also has a nice body to it. In doing it this way I have also noted that I never get that metallic taste that sometimes comes with lemon curd. Try it with some fresh thyme mixed in when cold. It’s amazing!

• 1 month later...

Eureka!!! For those of you who love lemon curd, you can freeze the damn stuff. I make mine with whole eggs so am not sure about how well curds made with egg yolks only survive freezing. I freeze the just made cooled lemon curd in 16 oz containers and then thaw it in the fridge when needed. Yippee.

• Like 3

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

• 2 years later...

I had either forgotten or never seen @Soupcon's previous post re: freezing curd.  But a German friend who I gave a jar to some months ago mentioned that they froze what was left of the jar before they went on a long trip.  I tried it a month or so ago.  I also made a fresh batch of @Tropicalsenior's Microwave Lemon Curd (which is amazing) and tested the fresh against the thawed and couldn't tell the difference.  We can never finish up a batch in time, so this is a wonderful thing for us.

1-IMG_1605-001.jpg.225a308fbfbd91d6d3ad77ecf9c85ec6.jpg

• Thanks 2