• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon/Lime/Citrus Curd: The Topic

bloviatrix

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I saw an episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, and the chef at one of the places made a lemon curd using water, as well as the usual ingredients of sugar, eggs, lemon juice, and butter.  This seemed very strange to me, and a preliminary internet search turned up nothing about this technique.

Why would water be added to a lemon curd recipe?  Any ideas?

... Shel

To stretch when you haven't got enough lemons to make an entire batch with just juice, perhaps?  I'm guilty of doing this occasionally myself, particularly when the lemons are older and not so juicy.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Mjx, what other dairy products might one use in a curd? I've only ever used butter. I agree with Panaderia Canadiense that it was probably purely a "stretch" move, though I suppose we could be generous and allow that maybe the diner didn't want the intense flavor you get with just lemon juice.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Mjx, what other dairy products might one use in a curd? I've only ever used butter. I agree with Panaderia Canadiense that it was probably purely a "stretch" move, though I suppose we could be generous and allow that maybe the diner didn't want the intense flavor you get with just lemon juice.

Further investigating brought up a recipe for lemon curd by Alice Waters that used a small amount of milk.  And I vaguely remember a recipe that called for the addition of cream, but I'm not at my computer now, so I can't verify that from my recipe collection.

ETA:  I remember now - Cook's Illustrated has a lemon curd recipe that uses heavy cream.

I'll be "generous" and go along with your supposition ...

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I've seen milk, and, I think – this was a while back – possibly one of the pourable fermented dairy products. I do remember seeing a couple of lemon and other citrus curd recipes, and flinching and thinking 'Ew', which would be my exact reaction to such an ingredient in this sort of recipe.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I've seen recipes using cream and milk, but it is usually to replace some of the butter so the fat content of the lemon curd is decreased somewhat. I don't think the intent is to decrease the lemon flavor. I don't see how water can do the trick, but then I've never tried it. Be interesting to see the proportions of the recipe.

• 8 months later...

I made lemon curd last night to use up the yolks that I had left after making multiple batches of nuts.  I am detecting a very slight metallic taste (though Mike isn't).  I made it in an improvised double boiler - an aluminum mixing bowl set over simmering water - and whisked with a metal whisk.  I've never noticed this problem before.  Has this happened to anyone else, or is my 'taster' messed up? 

I'll never forget the time a first year apprentice made whipped cream with an alumium bowl....

She had popped the bowl and s/s whisk in the freezer for a few minutes--as she had been taught, albeit taught with a s/s bowl, neveer aluminum.  She started to whisk and whisk, and was getting very close to whipped cream, but something was wrong....... The whipped cream took on a grey/silver metalic colour, and the cream tasted metalic.  The Chef popped a gasket, threw the bowl and cream into the garbage and issued orders for any aluminum bowl to be "quarantineed".

I am really not sure if the bowl is aluminum or SS.  I bought it over 20 years ago at a Dollar General and it is VERY light.  Maybe just use glass next time?

I don't think glass conducts heat very well, so you might be whisking for a very long time.

Hey Kim,

I agree with cakewalk that glass doesn't conduct heat well, but you'd eventually get their anyway. We bake in glass pans.

Did you use any cut and stored lemons or older uncut lemons?

Cut lemons have a really short shelf life, and citrus in general, to me, has a short shelf life for optimum flavor. Limes will show their age with brown spots on the skin, but actually taste better than old lemons whose skins do not reveal their age.

I usually make "key" lime pie topped with meringue with common limes, because real key limes are scarcer than hen's teeth around here. It's always delicious with no off flavors, but because I need so many limes, they're always bought fresh for the purpose.

One of my staples I like to have on hand is a lemon or two in case the husband comes home with a fish or so he wants cooked, but I have to keep an eye on the lemon's age, and use them up in beverages or something if no timely fish appears. Aged lemons are really nasty tasting. Don't know if I'd call it metallic, but it surely is off-putting.

So glad to hear you're feeling better.  :smile:

> ^ . . ^ <

A magnet will not stick to an aluminum pan. However, it may not stick to a stainless pan either. So if the magnet sticks then it is definitely not aluminum. If it doesn't stick then you be may be no further ahead.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Any of the prep items aluminum - measuring cups, juicer?

Here is some discussion on Serious Eats.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Kim, you say your lemons were fresh, but were they fully ripe? What I am asking is if the skins were still green, partially green or full yellow?

John

Edited by JohnT (log)

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

• 2 weeks later...

I make my lemon curd using a double boiler.  Is there an ideal or recommended temperature for the water so the curd doesn't cook too fast or get too hot?  I've been keeping the water below boiling, around 200-deg F, but is there a better temp?  Thanks!

... Shel

Keeping it at a simmer is fine, but you don't need a double boiler.  Cook it like you'd cook a crème anglaise over direct heat, and pull it off and strain once it thickens (around 75-80°C).

Maybe I'll give that a try when making the next batch. It'll make cooking the curd a little simpler.  I've always used a double boiler - that's how I was taught.

... Shel

Maybe I'll give that a try when making the next batch. It'll make cooking the curd a little simpler.  I've always used a double boiler - that's how I was taught.

Double boilers are fine if you have the time and are scared of curdling it.  Some recipes actually call for boiling the juice, sugar and egg mixture, but I really don't like the texture you get from that.  Take it to 80°C, strain and let it cool to about 40°C and blitz in the butter (lots of butter), and you're golden.

To make it even better, add a touch of gelatin when it's hot, leave to rest overnight then whip it up.  The gelatin makes it freeze stable, so you can use it in a bûche or entremet.

• Like 1