• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon/Lime/Citrus Curd: The Topic

bloviatrix

I'm thinking of layering lemon curd with cheesecake.

As in (from bottom up) some sort of crust, lemon curd, cheesecake, and then lemon curd again.

But should I bake the first three layers (crust, curd cheesecake) and then pour more lemon curd on top and bake just until it sets?

I want to try the PH recipe, unless it's not as perfectly suited to what I have in mind as something else?

That layering isn't going to work out well. You can't really bake a curd unless you have a ton of cornstarch in it, and I'm asuming you'll want to bake the cheesecake layer. Unless it's a no bake cheesecake, but the cure would still squish out under the weight unless you cut it while frozen I guess.

I would just recomend a thin layer of curd on top.

*pouts* Oh well. At least someone told me before I found out the hard way.

Thanks Sethro!

Hmm... But Lemon Curd does freeze okay, right? I think K8 talked about freezing the stuff?

So I could bake cheesecake (without a base) on a sheetpan, and layer it. :cool:

When I used to do this I would par-bake the crust (not always necesary depending on the type), bake the cheesecake right onto that, let it cool and then spread the still warm curd over top. Freeze and cut.

gallery_20409_2985_10015.jpg

Edited by Sethro (log)

I just gotta kno, Sethromybro, is that marjoram or thyme atop your confection?

I would just like to dedicate this morning's lemon bars to Joanne Chang at Flour bakery; thanks for posting when those bastards at Taunton's tried to gatekeep your recipe. Your curd is the wurd, JC.

I might need to start a new thread for this question but hope it gets noticed here. Can PH lemon cream be used instead of lemon curd to make a lemon curd cake? This is not Emily Lucchetti's curd cake where the curd is mixed into the batter--it is a layer cake with curd between the layers and mixed with whipped cream for icing.

I might need to start a new thread for this question but hope it gets noticed here.  Can PH lemon cream be used instead of lemon curd to make a lemon curd cake?  This is not Emily Lucchetti's curd cake where the curd is mixed into the batter--it is a layer cake with curd between the layers and mixed with whipped cream for icing.

You will need a buttercream dam for the layers. And you will have to cut the cake frozen.

Not sure how it'll last mixed with the whipped cream for icing.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I have made the cake several times using lemon curd--I have learned the "tricks" the hard way--chill layers before icing, make dam to prevent curd seepage, make 4 thin layers instead of 2 thicker ones, use skewers until it is set etc. I love the curd/cream icing and just wondered if the lemon cream will give the same results as curd. This has become one of my favorite cakes.

I have made the cake several times using lemon curd--I have learned the "tricks" the hard way--chill layers before icing, make dam to prevent curd seepage, make 4 thin layers instead of 2 thicker ones, use skewers until it is set etc.  I love the curd/cream icing and just wondered if the lemon cream will give the same results as curd.  This has become one of my favorite cakes.

Oh....I thought the Lemon Cream is a curd? :blink:

May

Yes, it is a curd. I have not made it and wondered if it would give same results. I think the only difference is in the technique and I would think it would be just as tart, but I don't know that.

Yes, it is a curd.  I have not made it and wondered if it would give same results.  I think the only difference is in the technique and I would think it would be just as tart, but I don't know that.

I'm no curd expert, but it tastes pretty tart to me. Comparable to the Medrich recipe I made before this.

May

I wanted to thank you all for this tread and all the info contained herein. As it so happens I had to do a wedding cake this weekend with Lemon Curd filling. Im not really a fan, and as it turns out, it was because of the crap recipe I had.

I did a little tweeking to the Sherry Yard Recipe, doubling the original, adding 1 extra egg yolk, 2 extra table spoons of butter (just cuz butter makes everything betta) and another 1/3 cup of sugar (I guess my lemon tree is a little on the tart side so it was necessary).

It came out pretty thick, like pudding and was wonderful to fill the cake. I have a ton left over so Im making a bunch of goodies to use up the extra.

I used the lemon cream to fill 2 cakes this weekend and it worked wonderfully. I spread the cream in 2 pans the same size as the cake, lined with plastic. Froze them, put between split cake layers and iced one with lemon buttercream(Paige Retus'[Olives]recipe and the other with lemon curd mixed with whipped cream. I refrigerated them overnight then attempted to decide which I liked better. Undecided at this point--they are both fabulous! I guess I would call it a draw.

I frequently use lemon curd with my cakes and have found great success when I freeze it for short periods of time.

I have to make sure that I cook it long enough for it to thicken - actually using an instant read thermometer to make sure it hits 170+ degrees. After straining and refrigerating it, I'll freeze it in a plastic container with plastic wrap laying directly on top of the curd.

I've made RLB's lime curd as a filling for coconut cakes - customers like that combo, too. But, I haven't tried any other lime curd recipes.

I've used her orange curd, too, and found it to be soft and sweet, but quite delicious. Mixed with white chocolate mousse, it's a fabulous cake filling!

Does anyone have good recipes for orange and lime curd recipes that they'd like to share?

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

Interesting. So none of you use gelatine in your curd ? Am I cheating ?

(from Jan Hedhs recipe):

2 g gelatine

150 g eggs

75 g +75 g sugar

75 g lemon juice

zest from 1.5 lemons

100 g unsalted butter

Soak gelatin in cold water

Whisk egg and 75g sugar to poreuse stage.

Bring zest, the other 75g sugar, butter and lemon juice to a boil.

Pour lemon mixture over egg/sugar and mix.

Pour mixture into a sauce pan or similar and bring gently to a boil while whisking.

Remove pot from heat and whisk till it's very smooth.

Squeeze water out of gelatine sheet, drop it into curd and stir until gelatine has melted.

Strain. Pour directly into tarte or chill rapidly in water bath and cover.

Conversions for the imperial crowd :raz: :

2g gelatine = 1 sheet

150 g eggs = 3 eggs depending on size

150 g sugar = 2/3 cup

75 g lemon juice = 5 tbsp

100 g butter = 7 tbsp

Texture is silk smooth. Consistency is pretty stiff but not wobbly jello-ish, rather soft butter-ish.

Taste could imho be a bit more pronounced, next time I'll probably add some more zest. Couldn't detect metallic taste so amount of sequestrant is enough. Just make sure that high enough temps are reached for the proteins to coagulate.

Scent is light citrusy.

Sorry no pictures. Only have scanner. Spreading curd on the scanner is probably not a great idea.

btw Hi, I'm new here.

Edited by priich (log)

Interesting. So none of you use gelatine in your curd ? Am I cheating ?

(from Jan Hedhs recipe):

2 g gelatine

150 g eggs

75 g +75 g sugar

75 g lemon juice

zest from 1.5 lemons

100 g unsalted butter

Soak gelatin in cold water

Whisk egg and 75g sugar to poreuse stage.

Bring zest, the other 75g sugar, butter and lemon juice to a boil.

Pour lemon mixture over egg/sugar and mix.

Pour mixture into a sauce pan or similar and bring gently to a boil while whisking.

Remove pot from heat and whisk till it's very smooth.

Squeeze water out of gelatine sheet, drop it into curd and stir until gelatine has melted.

Strain. Pour directly into tarte or chill rapidly in water bath and cover.

Conversions for the imperial crowd  :raz: :

2g gelatine = 1 sheet

150 g eggs = 3 eggs depending on size

150 g sugar = 2/3 cup

75 g lemon juice = 5 tbsp

100 g butter = 7 tbsp

Texture is silk smooth. Consistency is pretty stiff but not wobbly jello-ish, rather soft butter-ish.

Taste could imho be a bit more pronounced, next time I'll probably add some more zest. Couldn't detect metallic taste so amount of sequestrant is enough. Just make sure that high enough temps are reached for the proteins to coagulate.

Scent is light citrusy.

Sorry no pictures. Only have scanner. Spreading curd on the scanner is probably not a great idea.

btw Hi, I'm new here.

They spread curd on the scanner at Moto.

Just kidding. heh heh.

I use gelatine sometimes depending on what the application is. I also like to raise it all the way to a boil and then stick blend it. I find the coagulation at that point is enought that it will stand fine at fridge temp without weeping.

• 2 weeks later...

A few questions:

Is it possible to make a curd without the egg white coagulating? Or is something I should just deal with and sieve all my curds?

If I want to sandwich a cake with lemon curd folded into whipped cream, what would be ideal ratios/recipe? Mine appears rather liquid, but it's not yet been in the fridge overnight.

Is it possible for me to fold the curd into a Italian or Swiss Meringue instead of whipped cream? I'm not talking about a buttercream here (I've made it from scratch, and it's not really my favorite frosting), but just the meringue part. I'd be using it to fill/frost cake.

Thanks!

By the way, lemon curd cheesecake bars Are Good Things. :smile:

May

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of making coconut cupcake with lime curd filling. Would making lime curd be the same as making lemon curd? Does anyone have an actual recipe for lime curd? Also, how long does it last?

Google turned up quite a few results. How about:

Lime, Orange or Lemon Curd

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I think I'd try to make Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream with limes. Made with lemons I've kept it for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I think the recipe says about 5 days otherwise freeze it.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

i've made lime curd and blood orange curd, and with both, the key for me was to use some lemon juice along with the other citrus juice. the tang of the lemon is needed for the best flavor.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I think I'd try to make Pierre Herme's Lemon Cream with limes. Made with lemons I've kept it for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I think the recipe says about 5 days otherwise freeze it.

Pierre has a lime cream recipe in his other book (The Patisserie of Pierre Herme). If I remember correctly, it's the lemon cream recipe with lime substitution (equal weights). If you're doing it from "Desserts by Pierre Herme" you have to account for the fact that limes are smaller than lemons.

I use the recipe in the "Cake Bible" for Lime Curd, with a few modifications.

I rub the zest into the sugar to release lime oils, then strain the zest out at the end of cooking. It's wonderful as a filling in coconut cake - I've used it many times.

Note that the curd will be a yellow color, not green, since the juice combined with the yolks have more of a yellow color.

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog