• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Osteria del Galileo

This is my idea of Osteria heaven. If the fat, freckled one would only descend from on high in NY and set up a branch in DC, I for one would gladly defray his rent by basically setting up house in his wine cellar.

PS: Gotta love the glossary!

Lupa's so good (I used to live about three blocks away).

I'll always remember the bavette cacio & pepe as the ultimate in simple pasta. It sounds like nothing, but tastes like heaven.

Weather report from Foggy Bottom: Not that muggy. I just walked about 5 blocks from my office to Kinkeads. I was being treated by a "powerful lobbyist", but even with the free lunch incentive didn't seem that hot over here. Especially compared with yesterday -- now that was hot! At the moment looks like rain is in the offing...

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Roberto is grilling today...

tom,

Do you work near there? Or do you call each day?

Roberto's a trooper. It's 87 degrees.

Yeah, but when you're over the grill it's a dry heat.

:laugh:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I started heading towards Galileo, and not 'cause I had plans to eat there, but because subconsciously it was on my mind and my office is so icy cold that I was drawn to the fire (or maybe I'm just evil). I'm a little indecisive at times, though. I darted across K Street, cut over a few blocks and found myself in line at Dickey's for a nice cold cone of custard. Everyone around me was wearing hospital scrubs; it was like every doctor's office in the city was taking lunch at the same time. They all looked liked clowns on cell phones, and I wondered if I was having another circus nightmare. I looked around, though, and saw no elephants, only a tent on Farragut Square that said 'Smooth Jazz', a few psychedelic pandas on the sidewalk.

The custard was great, but be careful for people like me.

I walked back to the office in a complete sun-induced trance, licking the cone as it tried hard to melt in my hand...

All in all, custard and Galileo are two smart things to do at lunch time. THE END

Edited by morela (log)

Everyone  around me was wearing hospital scrubs; it was like every doctor's office in the city was taking lunch at the same time.  They all looked liked clowns on cell phones, and I wondered if I was having another circus nightmare.  I looked around, though, and saw no elephants, only a tent on Farragut Square that said 'Smooth Jazz', a few psychedelic pandas on the sidewalk. 

Hunter S. Thompson look out. Just another surreal lunchtime in DC! :biggrin:

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

I looked around, though, and saw no elephants, only a tent on Farragut Square that said 'Smooth Jazz'

I'm feeling verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. Let me give you a topic. "Smooth Jazz" is neither "smooth" nor "jazz". Discuss...

Smooth Jazz is the dinner music of Hell.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Or the cab ride to heaven! I don't even know what I mean, but does it ever really matter?

You know the driver with the 'smooth jazz', is mellow, will likely not bring up President Bush and is certainly not on an endless wireless phone call with someone in the middle east...

<you asked for it Dente> :raz:

Edited by morela (log)

I looked around, though, and saw no elephants, only a tent on Farragut Square that said 'Smooth Jazz'

I'm feeling verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. Let me give you a topic. "Smooth Jazz" is neither "smooth" nor "jazz". Discuss...

Totally correct. If there are elevators in Hell, smooth jazz would be the music you hear on your way down!

• 4 weeks later...

Was in that part of town tonight, so stopped by OG. They've taken out the couches from behind the cheese room and set up about 6 tables there. Rustic Italian at seriously low prices-- about $5-6 for appetizers (soups, salads and one or two other things) and $10 for mains (a couple of pastas, plus four meat dishes). Had some good anchovies with a salsa verde, duck leg with a cherry sauce and house-made pork sausage that was delicious. We were also brought a nice selection of breads, including a couple that were stuffed with cured meats. About 10 or so inexpensive wine selections are available by bottle and glass (you're free to order off the main wine list as well). There's also a dessert cart (tiramisu, tarts and a couple other things), but having been staring into the cheese room the whole time, we talked our friendly waiter into fixing us a plate.

There was only one other couple there besides us, but I'm sure things will pick up once word gets around. We did notice two of our more infamous eGullet members show up at the bar later :shock: . Perhaps they'll chime in...

Chris Sadler

We did notice two of our more infamous eGullet members show up at the bar later  :shock: .   Perhaps they'll chime in...

Who were they, how did you recognize them, and why didn't you say hello?

Don't ever, repeat, don't ever go to this place - or for that matter, anyplace - with Mark Slater "for a quick snack" when it's his night off from work. Ever seen flies swarming around a turd on a hot summer day? Just try walking into a DC restaurant with Slater.

I had every intention of being home early this evening. Let's see ... two hours later there had arrived in front of us, apparently from a combination of the Osteria, the main restaurant, and the Laboratorio, not sure which thing came from where...

the obligatory aperitif martini for Slater, a plank full of stuffed breads, three huge glasses of wine, anchovies in green sauce, tuna and cucumber tower, fried pigs feet with candied fruit, a mushroom and peach fricasee, two amazing pasta dishes, a bottle of Tokay from Friuli, an evil cheese course, a baba al rum, and of course the obligatory digestif Captain Morgan and Diet Coke, again for Slater.

Livin' La Vida Broke-a,

Rocks.

What Rocks failed to convey, I think, is that everything that was served to us was INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS. I admit, its nice to have friends in restaurants you go to....I had the most perfectly cooked spaghetti ala puttanesca that I've ever had in my whole life. Toothsome spaghetti, slightest whiff of anchovies.... I loved it. We tried 10 things. Go there!

Mark

Does OG follow the same hours as the restaurant?

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

We did notice two of our more infamous eGullet members show up at the bar later :shock: . Perhaps they'll chime in...

Three...

I was hiding in the Lab with some ball'n doctors who take pity on me and allow me to share in their big boy wine.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

We did notice two of our more infamous eGullet members show up at the bar later  :shock: .  Perhaps they'll chime in...

Three...

I was hiding in the Lab with some ball'n doctors who take pity on me and allow me to share in their big boy wine.

Dang! We missed you. It was fun sitting at the bar having food sent to us from the Osteria menu, Roberto in the Lab and Daniele in the kitchen.

Mark

• 1 month later...
What Rocks failed to convey, I think, is that everything that was served to us was INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS.

I was also there the following week, and had a fabulous lobster risotto (on Galileo's regular menu, but available at the Osteria). Every time I have something like this (which isn't often), I wonder why I bother going to so many different places.

And unlike so many other casual front-rooms in town, the wines will not break the bank. Like the bar at Taberna del Alabardero, people feel like they "shouldn't" come in here for lunch, or for a casual meal after work, because these are traditionally revered as special-occasion restaurants. But this is precisely the place where you want to come and unwind - an amazing value and a great addition to the Washington dining scene.

• 1 month later...

Mr friend and I stopped by Sunday evening to sit at the bar and see if they were serving the Osteria menu but they were not.

Disclaimer: I know this isn't about Osteria per se but I searched and the only other Galileo thread is about Laboratorio. Since the closest I came was sneaking a look inside and being surprised to find people dining there, I figured this was the better thread. This post isn't worth of its own thread.

But back to experience.

Because that is what it was. The girl behind the bar was well, a Sunday bartender. When we ordered the wine she commented that it was her favorite. 45 minutes later when they comped us more wine because our order took so long she didn't remember what we had originally ordered and poured us a better wine :wink:

We ordered the cheese plate. When we finally got it we were not disappointed. The selection of cheeses were beautiful, although I was surprised to find so many French cheese at an Italian restaurant. It started with a delicate goat cheese, moved on to a strong cheddar then and eventually ended with a Brie (I think, this was four or five glasses later). The bread was exactly what you would expect for Sunday night bread, which was dry and blah and did nothing to enhance the cheese. I was hoping we would get some bread sticks but we didn't.

When the plate was delivered a "manager" came over to apologize for the delay. I have never smelled such strong, fairly cheap cologne in a restaurant of that caliber. His scent literally lingered for at least 10 minutes. It affected the experience of the cheese because all I smelled was him and his cologne. I've been to Italy and know how Italian men love their cologne. But in a restaurant where smell is such an important part of the experience? I was surprised and not happily.

I realize we went in on a Sunday night. And sat at the bar. And didn't order much. But still, the place was slammed. Rereading everyone's posts made me realize what I had missed.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

• 3 weeks later...

Took some friends prior to heading to the 9:30. The menu is completely changed from the last time I was here (wish they would have kept those anchovies on there, though). The highlights were the duck carpaccio (really, really good) and the carbonara. Had a nice bottle of Barbera d'Asti for a good price. This place is such a deal-- my friends couldn't have been happier. So why is nobody going here? We were the only table there. :sad:

Chris Sadler

So why is nobody going here?  We were the only table there.    :sad:

My wife is out of town and I have been thinking about going there this Saturday evening on my own. If anyone else is lame and has nothing to do this Saturday night, would anyone be up for a group visit?

We could transition this over to the "Whim" thread if people are interested.

Bill Russell

I'm still trying to sort out my feelings about my experience at the Osteria last night. Let's look at the following true statement:

:blink: "I had a strip steak at Galileo last night for $8" :blink:

I think that says it all. Two contradictory concepts are contained in that sentence-- I had a cheap and poorly prepared steak (given that I paid only $8 for it), and I ate at Galileo (albeit the Osteria).

Nearly everything had that contradictory quality to it last night. The duck carpaccio and the Barbera were good, especially for the price. But the service was a complete afterthought. We were handed napkins twice when we sat down, the wrong entrees were brought to us and then sent to another table, when my entree finally did arrive it was the pork chop and not the steak, we asked for the dessert menu and the check came instead. My steak was full of gristle and, in the rush to get it to me after the pork chop mixup, barely cooked. My gf's penne puttanesca was okay, but nothing special.

The Osteria had but one other occupied table and a handful of people at the bar. The rest of the restaurant looked nearly full. I think the reason is that people have it figured out. You either go to Galileo or you don't. If you try anything in between you'll be disappointed.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

This post saddens me, because in general I am such a big fan of this trend. My wife and I eat out quite a bit, but can only swing a Galileo-level restaurant a few times per year (Which is a lot for many people!) -- but the "Bar menu" "Small plates" "Grill" "Osteria" thing lets us experience these places so much more frequently. We are still talking about our meal at the bar in Palena from four months ago. Heck, even though we just ate in the dining room at Citronelle in April, we still bring up that time two years ago when, on a student budget, we got dressed up and went to the bar at Citronelle for cocktails and desserts. It was a wonderful experience, and we will always carry around warm feelings about the restaurant because of it. High-end places should cultivate these relationships, if they can.

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!