• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Osteria del Galileo

In his RAMMY chat on the Post site today, Roberto Donna states: "The next thing I plan to do is open an Osteria inside of Galileo with an inexpensive menu (everything less than $15). It will be available in the evenings. We will be opening this in two weeks." Anyone smell an outing coming on?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I'm not sure if this is what Robert Donna meant by 'Osteria Galileo', but he's been out on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant for the past couple days grilling up panini and ribs. No joke. I stopped by today at noon and was one of the last people served before he was shut down by city officials. "Fire hazard" was the reason-- completely ridiculous considering that everything within three blocks is concrete. Our fine DC government at work. Roberto joked he would "find a loophole", vowing that he'd grill out back if necessary. I had an excellent pork shoulder panini with a garlic-parsley sauce. There was also sausage and chicken paninis. You have to admire a chef of RD's stature standing out on the street asking "You want sauce with that?".

Chris Sadler

I'm not sure if this is what Robert Donna meant by 'Osteria Galileo', but he's been out on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant for the past couple days grilling up panini and ribs. No joke. I stopped by today at noon and was one of the last people served before he was shut down by city officials. "Fire hazard" was the reason-- completely ridiculous considering that everything within three blocks is concrete. Our fine DC government at work. Roberto joked he would "find a loophole", vowing that he'd grill out back if necessary. I had an excellent pork shoulder panini with a garlic-parsley sauce. There was also sausage and chicken paninis. You have to admire a chef of RD's stature standing out on the street asking "You want sauce with that?".

WoW! Did you get a photo?

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

and the CH update--he'll be grilling again, albeit on the back deck, as of Monday, and hopefully through the summer. the update

This is great info -- thanks! I think it's supposed to be rainy again on Monday :angry: But Tuesday could be a good possibility for me, and maybe I can persuade a few of my colleagues to come too. What an opportunity! Can anyone lse make it on Tuesday?

I called before marching over, thankfully and was told that the Chef would not be grilling today. Since the lady who answered the call sounded rather abrupt, I didn't press her about future possibilities. I wonder if the fire code issue is preventing this from continuing?

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

And more:

Galileo: Hi Tom,

I just wanted to let you know that Roberto will be doing the grill thing again. He got so excited about the beautiful weather last week that he jumped out there and fired up the grill, but we weren't able to post a regular schedule for it. As you know he's a very busy man so the grilling will not take place every day, or at least not until he's trained one of his cooks to prepare everything just the way he likes it. We will have a schedule up on our site by next week.

Also, Roberto will be calling you today if your schedule permits. It's hard to get you two near a phone at the same time!;

Many thanks,

Alysa from Galileo

Tom Sietsema: And thank YOU for filling us in!

So what does "osteria" actually mean/imply? I believe it could be most closely translated (I'm doing this from Latin, since I don't parla Italiano) as Eatery. But if the iteration at Galileo is going to feature grilled food only, that doesn't really capture the osteria concept, or does it? Help me I'm CONFUSED!

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

I've seen chefies grilling outside before. Never expect it to happen in temperatures over 90 degrees. At that point the kitchen/stove combo is as comfortable as the great outdoors.

What's up with the OG menu overall (indoors)?

I think the OG will basically be Roberto grilling and then the lunch bar menu, which has been around for awhile now. Just guessing that's what he means by OG, as they were putting copies of the bar menu in your bag when he was out there grilling. Here's a sample menu. Prices were cheap-- averaging about $8 a dish on the menu they passed out.

Chris Sadler

This is my idea of Osteria heaven. If the fat, freckled one would only descend from on high in NY and set up a branch in DC, I for one would gladly defray his rent by basically setting up house in his wine cellar.

PS: Gotta love the glossary!

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.