• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nesselrode Pie

basispoint

Many years ago I had the pleasure to eat at a famous German steak restaurant

in Brooklyn,New York.At that time they served a wonderful pie called Nesselrode

pie.Sorry to say they have stopped serving it when the bakery that made it went out of business.

After searching the internet I finally came across a recipe for it.The recipe includes

a canned fruit mix names Raffetto's "Nesselro" fruit.I f I have been unable to find this product.

Does any one have a source where this item can be found?I would prefer if it could be purchased on the internet or in the New York area.

Many thanks to all,

email address is basispoint49@aol.com or post response here.

Thanks much,

basispoint

I've made Nesselroad pie before. My uncle, my favorite epicurean and foodie extraordinaire visits every Christmas.

Back in highschool, he decided one year to make Nesselroad pie. He's from New York, and apparently it was popular there at one time.

It was exceedingly painstaking. We cooked the chestnuts ourselves, and made it from bottom to top, so to speak. It was an incredible learning experience for me, and I've never forgotten it. It was divine, and I often think of making it again. I'll have to write him and get the recipe.

My advice is skip the canned chestnuts...... but I don't know how hard raw chestnuts are to find nowadays.

Edited by nessa (log)

Here is the website of the distributor: Ultimate Gourmet. You can contact them for a store in your area. The Raffetto brand is from NYC, so its got to be available somewhere near you. It is here in the Philadelphia area.

This is a link to Arthur Schartz' website and his history and recipe of this pie.

Neeselrode Pie--Arthur Schwartz.

Hope this helps! :smile:

It was exceedingly painstaking.  We  cooked the chestnuts ourselves, and made it from bottom to top, so to speak.  It was an incredible learning experience for me, and I've never forgotten it.  It was divine, and I often think of making it again. 

If one uses marrons glacees, and makes a paste of them as the recipe above requires, might that not save on the effort, if only slightly? :rolleyes:

The following echoes your sentiments exactly:

In this process I dirtied 18 pots, bowls, sieves, meauring devices and other implements, and took up an entire afternoon. The ingredients (including the decade's supply of Maraschino) cost about $40.00; of course I have enough left to make several more Nesselrodes, oh joy.
(see website cited above)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Here is the website of the distributor: Ultimate Gourmet. You can contact them for a store in your area. The Raffetto brand is from NYC, so its got to be available somewhere near you. It is here in the Philadelphia area.

This is a link to Arthur Schartz' website and his history and recipe of this pie.

Neeselrode Pie--Arthur Schwartz.

Hope this helps! :smile:

I'll match your Arthur Schwartz with mine (above) ... anytime ... you do click on the links provided, no? :rolleyes:

I'll match your Arthur Schwartz with mine (above) ... anytime ... you do click on the links provided, no? :rolleyes:

Ooops! :shock: I'm sorry I repeated the link. I love the Food Maven site.

Ooops! :shock: I'm sorry I repeated the link. I love the Food Maven site.

No problem whatsoever! One can never get enough of the Food Maven himself!

Of course, I only speak for myself here ... :biggrin:

The flavoring ought to be candied chestnuts and rum, but chestnuts haven't been a major part of the pie for a long time. The following recipe uses a product called Raffetto's "Nesselro" fruits, which does indeed contain a trace of chestnut, though the first ingredient listed is, of all things, cauliflower, which apparently has a similar texture to chestnuts when candied.

Cauliflower! :blink:

The very popular "Nesselrole Pie" that was featured for many years at many of NYC better Restaurants was made by "Hortense Spier's Bakery".

All of their pies were made with better quality natural ingredients, were consistant and never duplicated for taste, texture and flavor.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.