• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with a future visit...

knifehandchop

We (my wife and a couple friends) are going to visit New Orleans in late July and I've heard some good things about a few restaurants and was wondering if anyone could naysay or back them up, or perhaps suggest better .

Gautreau's

Bayona

Herbsaint

Thanks a lot in advance. We're coming in from Boston and New York, and would appreciate the aid.

Welcome to eGullet. It's a great time to come to New Orleans, the rates are down and the reservations are much easier to get this time of year.

Here are a couple of past discussions that might help:

Typically New Orleans

How to gain 10 lbs in 3 days

Save Your Money

FWIW, I like Herbsaint more than Bayona, but that is wholly personal preference that is kind of hard to explain. Bayona is lovely, but a much more formal dining experience. Susan Spicer will be my candidate for the new Iron Chef when they get around to letting me decide (these things take time :wink: ).

I like Gautreau's. That being said, in that kind of dining catagory I would choose Upperline or Clancy's every time. I like them both, and they are similar types of places. I just think that the food and the experience (for me, anyway) is better at either of those places.

Have a great trip and let us know what we can do.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to reiterate a rec. for Upperline over Gautreau's. Once again, Gautreau's is very good, but Upperline is a serious food experience that is (in my opinion) a step up frim Gautreau's.

Make sure that you speak to Joanne if she is there. She is charming in the first place and is a veritable fountain of info about the New Orleans dining scene.

And she digs eGullet. What mo could you aks fo?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Check out any of the threads originated by Jason Perlow in this forum. They will give you a lot of information and are from his trip there. The pictures alone will blow you away.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Theres a index of topics at the end of this thread of the places we visited in our last trip. All of them contain photos.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=30965&st=60

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I had dinner at Herbsaint very recently. I'll post at length when I can string together more than two minutes at a time, but I give it a big thumbs up. Herbsaint emphasizes Lousiana-influenced American bistro food (if all those adjectives add up to something intelligible). It's informal, with an extremely well-executed menu and a decent wine list -- as well as a list of very interesting wine specials by the glass. I didn't get to Bayona, so I can't compare the two. I suspect that it wouldn't be a helpful comparison -- they don't have the same goals (except a general dedication to good food), price points, or even clientele (unless you're an eGull).

Upperline is a stand-out in a city full of exceptional restaurants. The duck etouffee, green tomatoes with shrimp remoulade, roast duck (with peach-ginger or port-red wine sauce), oyster stew, bread pudding and creme brulee are the best of their kind. I recommend the Louisiana Purchase prix-fixe, if they're still running it when you get there, and I'd go for the accompanying wine flight -- nicely matched, with generous pours.

And yes, Jason's threads are excellent.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.