• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IndeBleu, 7th and G Streets NW

decadent elegance?

decadent (def.) - Being in a state of decline or decay.

Marked by or providing unrestrained gratification; self-indulgent

elegance (def.)- Refinement, grace, and beauty in movement, appearance, or manners. Tasteful opulence in form, decoration, or presentation. Restraint and grace of style.

decadent elegance (def.) - imbecilic trying-too-hard to be hip in a NYC way oxymoron of a soon to be failed venture.

Someone e-mail Safire.

Edited by JPW (log)

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

It has to be! Read this crap

This vineyard and winery will showcase premium handcrafted Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay, and Vidal Blanc, as well as a signature Tuscan Blend. Located on 200 acres of Virginia's picturesque Blue Ridge and seeped in tradition, Bleu Ridge Winery is poised to become Virginia's premier producer of fine wine. Additionally, Winery Bleu's distinctive log-cabin and guest house setting is sure to be a treat for those looking to relax in Virginia's own 'wine-country.'

First of all, being a premier producer of wine in Virgnia is not saying much. Second, it gonna be hard to go from HAIR SALON to winery. The French must be enduring some sleepless nights...

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen another ad in this week's Post, I called to get the latest info on Indebleu, as I haven't made my mind up about this place.

Chef Uday Huja is "definitely out" as I was told, and Vikram Garg is the new chef. Garg has not worked in the States before, the receptionist said. (Does anyone know anything about this guy?) Other than that, she knew nothing, only to refer me to a Post article...

They are, btw, having a hiring open house today (Thur), and another one next Tues, for anyone wanting a ride on the "swinging sofas"....

for curiosity's sake, I am tempted to go on Tuesday, but as I am already coming into town for dinner at Corduroy that night, I don't want to exert myself too much... :wink:

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

• 1 month later...

Here's the chef bio from their press info:

"A 1990 graduate of the culinary arts program at New Delhi’s Oberoi School of

Hotel Management (the Cornell of India) and recipient of a post-graduate

degree at the Oberoi Center for Learning and Development, Chef Garg honed his

skills at India’s top five-star hotels and restaurants. There, he was exposed to

the culinary sophistication of French cuisine juxtaposed against the bold

flavors demanded by the Indian palate. The chef’s tour included Bay Island in Port

Blair, the Oberoi Hotel in Bombay and New Delhi, and the Metropolitan Palace

Hotel in Dubai. In 2000, Chef Garg relocated to the British Virgin Islands to

take on the role of executive sous chef at Rosewood’s Little Dixie Bay. In his

most recent post, Chef Garg headed up the kitchen at the five-star Leela

Kempinski Palace in Bangalore. While running the daily operations of five

fine-dining outlets, Chef Garg also found time to co-author The Asian Menu Planner

cookbook, which focus on blending traditional Indian dishes with Western flavors.

Chef Garg is also involved in several charitable organizations, including the

annual fundraiser for Meals-on-Wheels called “Meals from the Masters.” And,

now, Vikram is ready to introduce his cuisine to the western hemisphere,

specifically, Washington, DC’s Downtown Penn Quarter—a melting pot of international

and cosmopolitan influences.

In crafting Inde Bleu’s menu, Chef Garg incorporated the boldness of Indian

spices with the subtlety and refinement of contemporary French cuisine. A few

examples among the 20 selections offered at Inde Bleu as first, second, or

third courses include petite Provençal naan with sundried tomato chutney; wild

mushroom dosa (crispy Indian crêpe) with a bleu cheese gratin and white truffle

oil; scallops scented with cumin on a bed of braised chicory; and veal-stuffed

gnocchi served with chanterelles and infused with a fenugreek-chardonnay

sauce.

When the talented young chef finds a free moment, he enjoys exploring the

sites of Washington, DC, with his wife and new baby girl Iya."

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

• 2 weeks later...

Well, first of all I don't think judging the restaurant in this sort of situation is fair. The place was more than crowded. The servers were rushed all night, and at times it was near impossible to move, let alone grab a drink.

The space is phenomenal. I have a sneaking suspicion that the large red room on the second floor (with the fireplace) will be one of the more sought after seats in DC come the official opening. The rotating chef's table is also beautiful.

The food was just okay; nothing mind blowing. I wish the sauce on the crab had been a bit more assertive, and the spice on the porkchops the same. But again--the restaurant was beyond capacity and I'm sure the staff was doing their best to keep up with the hunger of the crowd.

I look forward to going to the restaurant when its less crowded to get a better sense of the food. Saturday's party was, I believe, more to show the space off than anything. There will be a fuller review on DCist later today. Jay--if you read this, no insult, really. Looking forward to a regular night at your restaurant!

K

Some would argue that there is better Indian in London than in Bangalore. I have not been to IndeBleu yet but I have had several meals at Zaika and Vama, the first of which had a Michelin star when we went. (The chef has moved fro there today.) This was fusion which was extraordinary. Biryani with a flaky pastry crust drapped over the top of the casserole, tikka masala risotto-remarkably personal food from a chef with a very real flair for genius which was awarded the title of London's best Indian restaurant.

I cannot remember ever reading about anything other than the food at Zaika which seemed to be its whole focus. In anticipating IndeBleu I would feel a bit better if I didn't even know that ballet had played a part in servers' training or that a table rotated. I can't help but feel this is going to be less about food and more about performance.

DC needs Zaika not a studio.

DC needs Zaika not a studio.

Do you think it's possible to execute a successful and serious restaurant for people who are serious about food while at the same time sustaining a cutting edge lounge and bar for hipster types in the same space? I'd love to hear examples, maybe from Europe, where this concept works. Failed examples in DC where the original concept had to change and the bar has clearly overtaken the kitchen in importance would include Local 16 and H20.

IndeBleu seems set on having it both ways -- high priced entrees and choreographed, synchronized service in the dining room upstairs, DJs and curvy mattresses with a trendsetting crowd in the lounge downstairs.

Seeing is believing and the opening party wasn't a good indicator of what to expect, so I'll be curious to see if they can live up to all the standards they are setting for themselves.

Can it be done? I'd be curious to hear what others think.

Amanda

Metrocurean, a D.C. restaurant and food blog

I don't know if I'd call H2O and Local 16 places that shifted focus from food to bar - I think both were always intended to function more as bars, despite what the license or opening press releases may claim. I'd throw Mie N Yu into that category, too - all three were opened by owners with other nightlife establishments but not other restaurants (with the exception of the underrated Dragonfly in Local 16's case). They all billed themselves as upscale restaurants to help insulate themselves from ANC protests.

IndeBleu seems to be a different animal, though, heavily hyping the chef and food through the whole process. If I had to guess, though, I'd say a good portion of their business plan relies on capturing the high rollers both pre- and post-MCI Center games. Will they have bottle service? Minimum charges at tables in the lounge? Maybe not when they open, but there are going to be a lot more people that want to come there than there will be that want to have a full meal, guaranteed. If they get the hype they're shooting for they'll be a victim of their own success on weekends and MCI Center event nights - the restaurant portion will work fine for crowding with the nature of the place, but the lounge/bar will either be overcrowded or they'll have to put up a velvet rope to control the number of people coming in - and it doesn't seem like they're looking to do either.

I walked by last night and the valet parking sign was out, and they looked open for business.

I ate there last night... It was a mock service. They open tonight.

First impressions: the design is amazing. Like nothing else in DC. They clearly spent LOTS of $ on the decor. Not the surface style like some other places (paint, curtains, low sofas) real modern design here.

It is sleek and modern, but with a warm edge to it. There's soft curtains in the main DR that warm up what could be a stark modern space.

The lounge/bar area is away from the dining room. No restaurant by day/move the tables at night type of thing. The lounge area is especially unique with warm colors (browns, reds and oranges and curves all over).

The food was not as Indian as I expected. More like modern American/French with Indian spices. We had 4 courses each. I had scallops w/aged prociutto(sp) with spices, shrimp w/goat cheese and for an entree: tamarind (I think) duck breast with morell risotto. My GF had crab/lobster, escargots, and salmon w shrimp crust. For desert we split the profiteroles. I'd describe the dishes better, but I was busy enjoying them rather than critiquing them. The escargots were too sweet for my GF, but I liked them--she expected garlic and butter, I appreciated the different presentation and flavor--the texture was perfect. She loved the salmon, but I liked the duck with risotto the best followed closely by the scallops. Desert was a big hit too; the profiteroles were like creme puffs with a caramel crust and filled with a fresh oreo style ice cream and served with RICH hot cocoa. Not your typical creme brulee or cheesecake.

Service was friendly and casual, so was the menu. Maybe a little too friendly. I think they are going for a no-pretensions type of atmosphere. Waiters wore dark jeans and black jackets, backstaff wore untucked black shirts with their dark jeans. The service was very accommodating. We never once had an empty glass of water, and the bread (Indian style flatbread with foccacia flavored seasonings-served 1 peice at a time) was replaced as soon as we ate a piece. There were tons of servers and backwaiters. I'm not sure if this will be typical, but there were a lot.

I would go back in a second. I think this place will be a big success, based on the food coming out of the kitchen. The decor and service nonwithstanding, I think the innovative and high quality food that is being turned out is what will set this place apart.

so I was there on tuesday night with a friend at the bar. I must tell , interior design is very impressive. upstairs dining room , private dining room , chefs table , lounge even the restrooms are sick.

we ordered couple items from the dining room menu and couple items from the bar menu. I liked the food in overall , mushroom dosa on the dining room menu and lentil doughnuts on the bar menu are must.

of course keeping in mind that this is a very new start for them , Im hoping they will get better.

I`ll definitely give another try after 3 months or so

Corduroy

General Manager

1122 Ninth Street, NW

Washington DC 20001

www.corduroydc.com

202 589 0699

Sitting at the corner table this evening, looking out through the window onto 7th Street, I saw a juxtaposition of expensive, thick, shimmering draperies, the Chinese-language sign for OBA Bank on the wall of the building just outside, and the bright, flashing lights of the Regal Cinemas Gallery Place Stadium 14, all within my purview and framed and layered like some kind of Franco-Cino-American Visual Napoleon.

Then turning towards my left, looking across the expansive, elegant, empty dining room where, for two hours, I was the only customer with a minimum of a dozen staff working the area, I felt like I was the central character in a Fellini film.

And so it is with IndeBleu, a bizarre combination of Zaytinya (large, hip, faux-ethnic), LeftBank (all things to all people), Kinkead's (many ingredients per dish), Nora (attention paid to raw ingredients), Heritage Dupont (Indian fusion [i hate the term "fusion" too, but what else would you label a crispy wild-mushroom dosa with blue cheese gratin and truffle oil?]) Zola (swank, MCI-Center digs), Komi (young, polished, genuinely friendly and caring service), and Maestro (a hard-working, hand-selected chef brought into Washington from overseas.

I had a really nice dinner tonight at IndeBleu - five courses, all ranging between $9 and $12 (entrees are in the $20s and $30s) - the meal included a demitasse of potato-marjoram soup as an amuse-gueule, excellent fresh-fired oiled-and-herbed mini-naan throughout the meal, and a little tray of mignardises after dessert. The food tended to be bit heavy and busy for my taste, but I'm fairly certain the ultra-modern exotic nature of this restaurant, coupled with its proximity to the MCI Center, will have a far-reaching appeal to tourists just like that of Zaytinya. It's always difficult to judge the service when there's a 20-to-1 waitstaff-to-diner ratio, but everyone I met, downstairs and upstairs, was fabulously friendly and wonderful, including the quietly charming Chef Garg.

Good luck to IndeBleu - I look forward to going back and trying it again.

Rocks.

I stopped in last night after work with friends. Stunning place. We were given a tour of the whole place, including the kitchen. We had a nice conversation with Chef Garg, who was eager to show off his new kitchen. The menu in the lounge downstairs runs till 1AM we were told. We scarfed down a very tasty selection of dosas, lamb chops and some delicious crunchy things. Everyone should stop in and support these guys!

Mark