• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanuts

My local Indian grocer sells spicy peanuts that when fresh are good. Since they are rarely fresh, I've decided to come up with my own recipe. Roast cumin, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and, of course, a little msg.

I also use peanut butter, almond butter and cashew butter to thicken flourless gravies.

The most pleasure I receive, though, is eating them plain, by the handful and peanut butter, by the spoonful. Yum!

Edited by scott123 (log)

One of the things I like best about Maharashtrian cooking is its use of peanuts, placing real value on it for its taste and texture. A properly made poha for breakfast, with the rice flakes just soft enough, with curry leaves and mustard seeds and small pieces of potato, a pinch of sugar, some turmeric for colour and peanuts for a contrast in texture and taste, is a very good way to start the day.

everytime we buy peanuts, storing is same as for rawa.... dry roasting.... as for usage......................... sabudana vadas :biggrin:

Swati - I was addicted to Sabudana wadas when I was pregnant! Can I request you to describe these delights more for everyone :biggrin:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Guest nimki

what can't one do with unsalted dry roasted peanuts -

with icecream (preferably chocolate)

with tea

peanut masala = peanuts + chopped onions, green chillis, lemon juice, salt, a little bit of chat masala all tossed together

peanut chutney - divine stuff....made with coarsely ground peanuts, curd, fresh dhania (coriander), garlic, green chllis and salt

in upma, poha an bread upma (a category of its own)

tried my hand at peanut butter but i just ended up with a sticky mass of crushed peanuts...

i enjoy peanuts with rice and dal (for that extra crunch).

With anything basically. And i firmly believe peanuts are good for health. that would account for the handfuls i eat everyday!

Soak the Sabudana in water. darin the water five minutes later. leave the sabudana vernight. Mash boiled potatoes and roasted peanuts (proportion as per taste and mood). Mix potatoes, peanuts, sabudana, paste of green chillies, salt, and Coriander-Leaves. Take a lil part, shape into tiny pancakes. The priginal recipe calls for deep frying ( and lots of oil). I shallow fry them.... same results and same taste)

Serve hot with coriander chutney

Soak the Sabudana in water. darin the water five minutes later. leave the sabudana vernight.  Mash boiled potatoes and roasted peanuts (proportion as per taste and mood). Mix potatoes, peanuts, sabudana, paste of green chillies, salt, and Coriander-Leaves. Take a lil part, shape into tiny pancakes. The priginal recipe calls for deep frying ( and lots of oil). I shallow fry them.... same results and same taste)

Serve hot with coriander chutney

Sounds delicious, except I dont think I have ever tried them.

I know you mentioned "proportions as per taste and mood", but could you at lease provide the rough proportions for me please? especially the proportion of sabudana, peanuts and mashed potato?

Since I have never had them before, I dont even know what the final result would look like?

Please? :smile:

Sabudana soaked in water, drained and left overnight (2 large cups) , 2 1/2 potatoes, 1 handful roasted and coarsely ground peanuts, green chillies (as per taste), salt, lemon juice and lots of coriander leaves....(mix well) ( i seem to have 4gotten the last few ingredient when i posted the recipe last time.lots of apologies :sad: ) and 1 1/2 tsp jeera (tempered in ghee)

Anyway my mom, my sis and I had quite a good time posting this recipe. Mom usually adds ingredients as per habit/ taste.

As for the khichdi

Sabudana soaked in water, drained and left overnight (2 large cups), 50-100 gms peanuts (roasted and coarsely ground), 10-12 leaves coriander leaves, green chilles as per taste, jeera , 1/4 grated coconut, lemon juice, salt,

Temper jeera in the vessel to be used for making khichdi. Add everything except coriander leaves. Cook for 2 mins on low heat. Before serving add coriander leaves

Khichdi is ready

Here's a Maharashtrian recipe:

PEANUT POTATOS

1 1/2 lb potatos, boiled, peeled, and cut into pieces 1 1/2 inch square

2 tb oil

1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, ground to a powder

1-inch piece of ginger, finely minced

1 tsp whole cumin seeds

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tb coriander powder

salt and chili powder to taste

Use a nonstick pan or spray the pan before heating the oil. Fry the ginger and cumin seeds until they stop crackling. Add the boiled potato cubes and fry for 5-6 minutes until they start to turn brown. Add salt, the cumin, coriander, and chili powders, and the ground peanuts. Toss gently and throughly for a couple of minutes and then remove from the fire. Decorate with grated coconut and coriander leaves.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a Maharashtrian recipe:

PEANUT POTATOS

1 1/2 lb potatos, boiled, peeled, and cut into pieces 1 1/2 inch square

2 tb oil

1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, ground to a powder

1-inch piece of ginger, finely minced

1 tsp whole cumin seeds

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tb coriander powder

salt and chili powder to taste

Use a nonstick pan or spray the pan before heating the oil. Fry the ginger and cumin seeds until they stop crackling. Add the boiled potato cubes and fry for 5-6 minutes until they start to turn brown. Add salt, the cumin, coriander, and chili powders, and the ground peanuts. Toss gently and throughly for a couple of minutes and then remove from the fire. Decorate with grated coconut and coriander leaves.

suruta - can I request you to enter this in the recipe gullet.. I am sure people will thank you for that! (More folks can then enjoy this simple and delightful recipe)

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

About that yummy sabudhana khichdi recipe, I found that it can be a trifle tricky the first time around. It turned out a lil sticky and not nice and separate as I remembered. I asked my mom and she said that the trick is in the soaking of the sabudhana. At the time of soaking, the water should exactly submerge all the grains. Not more and not less. Soaking it in too much water apparently makes it sticky. I used that guideline subsequent to that time and the khichdi always turns out just perfect!! *Sigh* I love lil details like this :wub:

-worm@work