• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger

slow roasted aadraki salmon, ginger and ajowain marinated salmon, with apricot ginger coconut creme

Edited by M65 (log)

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

"Aaalii Paak!"  :smile:
I'm enteraining this evening and dessert is candied ginger crème brûlée...

I might gate crash, what else are you making?

Ok, you may gate crash ... but by the time you arrive I do not promise leftovers :laugh: ...

The menu

With drinks

Masala peanuts (the ones with a besan coating) & mung dal

The meal

Tandoori shrimp brochettes with lemon rice and red onion salsa

Chicken curry with tomato kachumar (salad) and chole (chick peas)

The crème brûlée with mango slices

Cofffee/Champagne with mithai (got a variety hmmm)

With the meal we'll drink a young red Côte du Rhône, mango juice & apple-raspberry juice...

Edited by bague25 (log)

Ginger & lime cordial (a wonderful sherbet)

Preserved ginger (ginger in sugar syrup)

recipes please

:biggrin:

Rushina

Ginger & lime cordial (a wonderful sherbet)

Preserved ginger (ginger in sugar syrup)

recipes please

:biggrin:

Rushina

No problem but I'll post the recipes only next week

- hectic party week & weekend - here's it's a long weekend because of Pentacost -

In the Shivaji Park area of Bombay you get some wonderful "Ale pak" ginger sweets

I adore Ale Pak, there's usually a jar full of it on my dining table, but I've got a cold at the moment, and have eaten it all. Its fudgy fire, if you can imagine such a concept - its got the texture of fudge, but when you put it in your mouth, first you get the sweetness and then the pure and powerful burn of ginger.

Its the best thing to eat when you have a cold, and I eat it anytime, but its not for everyone (thank god). Friends I have offered it to are prone to reeling back, clutching their throats and screaming hoarse imprecations at me. I need to stop off at Dadar today evening to replenish my supply.

Has anyone tried making it? That Indian Pantry book has a recipe, but since I can get it quite easily (Tambhe Arogya Bhavan is where I usually buy it, along with their delicate puran polis) I've never tried making it.

Vikram

I need to stop off at Dadar today evening to replenish my supply.

Has anyone tried making it? That Indian Pantry book has a recipe, but since I can get it quite easily (Tambhe Arogya Bhavan is where I usually buy it, along with their delicate puran polis) I've never tried making it.

Vikram

You lucky guy slurp, slurp :sad:

Is Ale Pak anything like the chinese ginger candy?

Its a little chewier/rubberier than fudge, and is wrapped in rice paper. I LOVE it.

Its got a good burn.

I love ginger, pickled ginger, candied ginger, ginger candy.....

GINGERBREAD!!!!! :wub::wub::wub:

I'm going to a barbecue in a couple weeks, and I'm going to make a lemon-ginger cheesecake on a gingersnap crust. I'm planning on topping it with a lemon or lemon-ginger curd and raspberries.

The monsoon has set in here in South India and the ginger now available is tender and without fibres.

I am going to skin large sections and peel long thin lengths, marinate them in lime juice and salt and store it in the fridge.

I will then lay the lengths to form roses in a flat plate, sprinkle crushed red chilli and serve it with my next Thai meal.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

In the Shivaji Park area of Bombay you get some wonderful "Ale pak" ginger sweets

My mother in law makes these at each visit here and we so love it. I eat one with tea each morning and she swears it wards of all illnesses! :smile:

It keeps well too.. alas we finish it too fast

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

slow roasted aadraki salmon, ginger and ajowain marinated salmon, with apricot ginger coconut creme

WOW!!!

Please, please a detailed recipe...

i second that!

i'm totally hooked on ginger curry,using a recipe from the excellent mrs k.m.mathew.it's gooood!

I love ginger and use it as often as possible. One of my favorite applications is in a marinated beef / fried rice dish. I marinate the beef in a touch of chili oil, chili paste, green chiles, fish sauce, soy sauce, a boat-load of minced ginger and garlic (microplain), and a pinch of palm sugar.

Quickly fry the beef after marinating...then when I fry the rice I add ginger, red chili paste and finish it off with soy sauce.

I also enjoy making a coconut based chicken dish using large quantities of ginger, very refreshing.

And, if my throat is feeling sore - ginger and honey smashed together is quite nice. The heat of the ginger and the soothing properties of the honey work so nicely together.

--Jenn

And, if my throat is feeling sore - ginger and honey smashed together is quite nice. The heat of the ginger and the soothing properties of the honey work so nicely together.

Yes. And ginger tea is great for upset stomachs, it's the first thing I make for myself when I have one. Some people like to add honey and lemon to the tea but I prefer it straight, about 1 tablespoon minced ginger per cup of hot water, steeped until cloudy and strong.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-