• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taste of Chicago, June 25-July 4, 2004

-The place was like a giant pick-up joint. I told my wife and a friend that they were wearing too much clothing to fit in with the majority of women there. :wink:

-The number of food options seems to have decreased over the past couple of years that I have gone. The number of booths where you could get a henna tattoo was close to the number of booths where you could get something to eat.

Seems like you got a real "taste" (metaphorically) of Randolph! :biggrin:

In case you didn't know, traffic is being re-routed already as they set up for the Taste this weekend. I'll be in the Family Tent with Adler staff on Monday afternoon if anyone comes down to the chaos for lunch. :)

--adoxograph

I agree the food is not much of an attraction for many of the above stated reasons. The music is great, and the people watching is unequalled, especially on a hot day.

Also, Dominicks sponsors a chef demo tent across from the fountain that is a great shaded oasis with a nice breeze off the lake. I did my demo this past Saturday for the 6th year and still enjoyed it.

TC

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

I agree the food is not much of an attraction for many of the above stated reasons. The music is great, and the people watching is unequalled, especially on a hot day.

Also, Dominicks sponsors a chef demo tent across from the fountain that is a great shaded oasis with a nice breeze off the lake. I did my demo this past Saturday for the 6th year and still enjoyed it.

TC

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

the people watching is unequalled, especially on a hot day.

yes, and it often falls on the hottest day of the year. people get nigh-feral when that fountain goes off, it's 101, and their stomachs are packed with whatever (generally) horrible, greasy concoction they chose for their magical tickets.

oh, to have the life of a beer distributor.

Sarcasmo~

(fictionislying.com)

TC

How was the crowd the day you were there, Chef?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

the people watching is unequalled, especially on a hot day.

yes, and it often falls on the hottest day of the year. people get nigh-feral when that fountain goes off, it's 101, and their stomachs are packed with whatever (generally) horrible, greasy concoction they chose for their magical tickets.

oh, to have the life of a beer distributor.

Did adoxograph enjoy her stint at the Taste? :cool:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

The overall consensus of the Adler contingent was "eh".

There seemed to be fewer food vendors with mostly the same stuff. There was a jerk catfish and a turtle soup (can't remember where from, went through very quickly) which were OK, a curry fries with good curry sauce on bad fries, and, you know, fried things everywhere.

Glad we didn't have to pay for food tickets.

--adoxograph