• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taste of Chicago, June 25-July 4, 2004

Well, obviously they do since Mayor Daley's web site boasts that "year after year, more than 3 million people choose Taste." IMO, and this is probably not a very controversial thing to say here, Taste of Chicago is the world's most over-rated food event.

Do I sound cynical? I am...but with good reason. This event, in its original incarnation, was a fun and sensible one. It provided a beautiful, lakefront venue where folks could gather and sample all sorts of great dishes--dishes that represented what some of the city's best and most well-known restaurants were known for. But with each passing year, Taste morphs further into an over-crowded funnel cake fest where fewer of the city's best restaurants appear and those that do are more inclined to serve up easily-prepared fare which isn't even offered in their permanent locations. Sound like fun? :wink:

I do have some friends who work downtown and Taste provides them with an excellent lunch venue for 2 weeks each summer--the crowds are light, it's only a short walk from their offices and I've been told that Taste beats brown-bagging it, but I have my doubts about that. I'd bet that the lure of Taste attracts the out-of-towners and the tourist groups as well. But I cannot imagine any local person who makes a special trip to Taste being anything but disappointed and/or frustrated with it.

I'll admit that I don't much like crowds. Perhaps that's it--maybe folks who really enjoy being in massive crowds of people enjoy Taste. Inadequate seating and bathroom facilities also make Taste less than appetizing. Perhaps the line-lovers enjoy Taste. There sure are plenty of lines at Taste...lines for everything. I am sincerely perplexed by the popularity of this event.

Please don't let my ranting scare you off. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about Taste of Chicago--even, no especially if you love the event. What am I missing? Have I just become too curmudgeonly to appreciate something wonderful?

Lastly, are any eG'ers planning to attend Taste? Am I so off-base on this that a meet-up at Taste could actually be a fun time? Okay, okay I know what you're thinking...but if you could convince me that a day at Taste really is enjoyable, I'd even consinder attending and I'd promise to keep my whining to myself until after we parted ways. :raz:

For anyone who's interested, here is a link to the official Taste of Chicago web site:

Mayor's Office of Special Events - Taste of Chicago 2004

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Taste of Chicago is the world's most over-rated food event.

agreed, why?

#1. It is no longer a "taste" the portions are large, defeating the purpose of tasting many different foods.

#2. Places serve food at the taste that a diner can not get at their restaurant. Turkey Legs!!?? C'mon get real!

#3. McDonald's was there a few (maybe more) years ago, no need to say anymore.

There were some shining moments when the Taste first came around, my favorite hands down was the turtle soup that the now defunct Binyon's served.

I will still go, to have a beer (or 10) and people watch, always a hoot, but no tasting.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I love Taste for the exact reason Ronnie mentioned, if I am in Chicago when its going on, it offers a great option for lunch and a nice walk away from the office. Under no circumstances would I go anywhere near Taste on the weekend though. I forgot whose stand it was, but last year one of my favorite's were the fried crawfish tails!

I agree, the Taste has become too crowded, too big and full of mediocre, overpriced food. The only way I'll go is to have a couple of cold ones w/ those great crawfish tails (I need the beer to help me put up with the crowds)...

For a better "tasting" experience, the Taste of Randoph Street fesival (late June) is something to consider. Smaller crowds and better restaurants with some food (actually from their menus!) that can be really quite good.

I haven't been there in 15 years including 10 of which I worked in the Loop. Crowded, hot, smelly and expensive mediocre food. Other than that, I loved it.

Kevin

Please don't let my ranting scare you off. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about Taste of Chicago--even, no especially if you love the event. What am I missing? Have I just become too curmudgeonly to appreciate something wonderful?

=R=

:biggrin::biggrin:

Ronnie, Ronnie...you poor abused moderator, you haven't heard my rant on this event yet! Brace yourself, gentle soul.

I have worked downtown in Chicago since 1978, and all of these jobs have been, for my sins, at various addresses on South Michigan Avenue, one very long block directly west of what I have come to call the Waste of Chicago. I went there, years ago, after work, for an evening of noshing and people watching, and was grossed out in the extreme; the tokens used to buy food were more expensive than I liked, the servings more thrown at customers than handed out, the paper plates were dangerously fragile for foods that were at all saucy or soupy, and in the brutal July heat some overserved soul barfed Dudweiser (no, that's not a typo)-plus-eight-kinds-of-dinner down the entire length of my right leg (This had an upside, however: the smell quickly became such that I had a four-foot buffer zone around me for the rest of the evening. NO one wanted to get within elbowing distance. No cab driver wanted to drive me home, either: they all thought I was the one who was drunk!) My jeans had to be bagged separately from the rest of the laundry; the right shoe was a total loss (The sock tried to walk away by itself. I discouraged this.).

The next morning, I got to my twelfth-floor office early to finish off a project that had been threatening to finish me off instead, and glanced out the east windows at what usually was the joyous sight of the Art Institute nestled in its sweet green gardens. I saw that, to be sure...but I also saw the AI staff furiously sweeping up and hosing various organic messes off its walks, in counterpoint to the City's Streets and San brigade bulldozing -- yup, you read me right, bulldozing the accumulated crap, figurative and occasionally literal (The lines at the Port-A-Potties were astonishing, and many drunks were taking advantage of the bushes.), off the grounds from the previous night's collective debauch.

If I want a turkey leg, dammit, I bone and stuff and roast my own, these days. The one place I won't ever go to get it is the Waste of Chicago.

[/End of rant./]

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I'll add a few caveats to my post which will generally endorse the event:

1. I'm fairly new to the city - I just moved here 3 years ago

2. I'm from Cleveland where nothing of this sort exists (well, there's the rib fest, which is really good, but not quite the same)

3. I love music

So, having said those things, I like Taste for a couple of reasons. I went last year for the first time and I enjoyed myself more than I expected. First, I spent considerably less than I expected for 2 people. I was expecting to blow $50 easily; but I managed to escape with as much food as I wanted for a little over $30 or so. Second, even though some of the restaurants are pointless (McDonald's??! Come on), some I hadn't heard of (maybe it's the new-to-the-city thing). And the "you can't get this at their restaurant" thing doesn't really bother me for a few reasons: first, I probably won't go to a restaurant just because I ate their stand at Taste; second, if it's good, even if I CAN'T get it, I'll probably go to the restaurant anyway; third, it doesn't really bother me that the 'high end' restaurants have stopped going because I can't afford those places anyway. There are enough booths there that I don't have to go the McDonald's stands, the Chili's stands, the funnel cake stands - those are there for the less adventurous who want to feed their kids something they know will be eaten to stop the whining.

What I LOVE about the Taste though is the bands. Last year they had Elvis Costello and Sheryl Crow for FREE. Come on! How do you beat that?? Well...this year they have the Counting Crows and the Old 97s! Two EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT bands (PLEASE, go check them out, both bands just flat out rock!) For me, $30 to eat some decent food and see a band for 'free' on a beautiful summer day - doesn't get much better than that. I could do without the crowds, but it comes with the territory, and they didn't really both me last year. The people are idiots, but that comes with the territory as well. Anyway. Give it a few more years and I'll probably develop into the jaded chicago-an y'all have become :biggrin:

I haven't been there in 15 years including 10 of which I worked in the Loop.  Crowded, hot, smelly and expensive mediocre food.  Other than that, I loved it.

:biggrin::laugh::biggrin:

=R=

I'll add a few caveats to my post which will generally endorse the event:

1. I'm fairly new to the city - I just moved here 3 years ago

2. I'm from Cleveland where nothing of this sort exists (well, there's the rib fest, which is really good, but not quite the same)

3. I love music

So, having said those things, I like Taste for a couple of reasons. I went last year for the first time and I enjoyed myself more than I expected. First, I spent considerably less than I expected for 2 people. I was expecting to blow $50 easily; but I managed to escape with as much food as I wanted for a little over $30 or so. Second, even though some of the restaurants are pointless (McDonald's??! Come on), some I hadn't heard of (maybe it's the new-to-the-city thing). And the "you can't get this at their restaurant" thing doesn't really bother me for a few reasons: first, I probably won't go to a restaurant just because I ate their stand at Taste; second, if it's good, even if I CAN'T get it, I'll probably go to the restaurant anyway; third, it doesn't really bother me that the 'high end' restaurants have stopped going because I can't afford those places anyway. There are enough booths there that I don't have to go the McDonald's stands, the Chili's stands, the funnel cake stands - those are there for the less adventurous who want to feed their kids something they know will be eaten to stop the whining.

What I LOVE about the Taste though is the bands. Last year they had Elvis Costello and Sheryl Crow for FREE. Come on! How do you beat that?? Well...this year they have the Counting Crows and the Old 97s! Two EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT bands (PLEASE, go check them out, both bands just flat out rock!) For me, $30 to eat some decent food and see a band for 'free' on a beautiful summer day - doesn't get much better than that. I could do without the crowds, but it comes with the territory, and they didn't really both me last year. The people are idiots, but that comes with the territory as well. Anyway. Give it a few more years and I'll probably develop into the jaded chicago-an y'all have become :biggrin:

Well said, jglazer. I really do appreciate your perspective on Taste.

=R=

Please don't let my ranting scare you off.  I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about Taste of Chicago--even, no especially if you love the event.  What am I missing?  Have I just become too curmudgeonly to appreciate something wonderful?

=R=

:biggrin::biggrin:

Ronnie, Ronnie...you poor abused moderator, you haven't heard my rant on this event yet! Brace yourself, gentle soul.

I have worked downtown in Chicago since 1978, and all of these jobs have been, for my sins, at various addresses on South Michigan Avenue, one very long block directly west of what I have come to call the Waste of Chicago. I went there, years ago, after work, for an evening of noshing and people watching, and was grossed out in the extreme; the tokens used to buy food were more expensive than I liked, the servings more thrown at customers than handed out, the paper plates were dangerously fragile for foods that were at all saucy or soupy, and in the brutal July heat some overserved soul barfed Dudweiser (no, that's not a typo)-plus-eight-kinds-of-dinner down the entire length of my right leg (This had an upside, however: the smell quickly became such that I had a four-foot buffer zone around me for the rest of the evening. NO one wanted to get within elbowing distance. No cab driver wanted to drive me home, either: they all thought I was the one who was drunk!) My jeans had to be bagged separately from the rest of the laundry; the right shoe was a total loss (The sock tried to walk away by itself. I discouraged this.).

The next morning, I got to my twelfth-floor office early to finish off a project that had been threatening to finish me off instead, and glanced out the east windows at what usually was the joyous sight of the Art Institute nestled in its sweet green gardens. I saw that, to be sure...but I also saw the AI staff furiously sweeping up and hosing various organic messes off its walks, in counterpoint to the City's Streets and San brigade bulldozing -- yup, you read me right, bulldozing the accumulated crap, figurative and occasionally literal (The lines at the Port-A-Potties were astonishing, and many drunks were taking advantage of the bushes.), off the grounds from the previous night's collective debauch.

If I want a turkey leg, dammit, I bone and stuff and roast my own, these days. The one place I won't ever go to get it is the Waste of Chicago.

[/End of rant./]

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:biggrin: LMAO :biggrin:

Classic, Sue...thanks for sharing. I hope it wasn't too painful to dredge that up for us. I'm still ROTF over it, though.

=R=

Sue, no matter how drunk I get, I will still be too scared to puke on your leg.

:laugh::biggrin::laugh::biggrin::laugh:

Me? Scare you?

Gentle me? Nonviolent li'l ole oenophilic me?

Surely you jest, Liz...why, I haven't broken down a T-rex into T-bones with my bare hands in just ages and ages! I haven't committed verbal warfare in -- gosh, it's gotta be at least 15 whole minutes...how could you say such a thing?

:raz::laugh::raz::laugh::raz::laugh:

(Edited to rearrange adjectives with fun aforethought)

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I haven't committed verbal warfare in -- gosh, it's gotta be at least 15 whole minutes...how could you say such a thing?

:laugh::laugh:

On topic, I guess I should say that I have never been to the Taste. There was some talk on eG of going last year, but it never happened.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I moved to Chicago some 5 (how did that happen?) years ago, and my first year, when I found out about the Taste, I wanted to go more than anything. I thought it would be something like a food version of the Big E (the Eastern States Exposition for you improper Yankees). My jaded never-leaving-Chicagoland friends told stories of McDonald's and Chili's and Dominick's. I was convinced that could not be true, but then work commitments interfered, I got sent to some strange locale and missed the Taste.

The next year, I convinced my SO that I had had had to go. He had been, tried to dissuade me, but I insisted. So we went. It was disgustingly hot, humid, and expensive. I tried to figure out how a turkey leg could be a taste, but found one or two little spots that had a bite worth trying. Overall, though, it was fun to find the one or two interesting spots, until I realized how much they cost. I skipped the next year.

Now, I'll be there Monday the 28th. I was there last year. Why? I'll be working the Family Activities Tent. Solar telescope viewing between the clouds! Since we have to be there, we try and make the best of it - we scope out short lines and good tidbits for each other, and we each do get a few free food tickets - but if I had a choice, I'd skip it. At least we're there on a weekday...

If anyone does come down, come and say hello, and I'll give you an Adler Temporary Tattoo. :)

--adoxograph

I have not gone to the Taste in this century. Back when I was in grade school/high school, we would work for the one of the restaurants (Little Quipo or some other Asian restaurant) and would trade off meals with some of the other restaurants. I had done this for 4 years. Now that was fun.

To this day I still have a hankering for fried dough (many vendors), fried ice cream (ditka's) and bbq rib sandwich (fireplace inn). I am curious to hear what are some your favorite Taste items?

BTW, what ever happened to Chicago Fest? You remember, the Jane Byrne era, don't you?

Now, I'll be there Monday the 28th. I was there last year.  Why?  I'll be working the Family Activities Tent.  Solar telescope viewing between the clouds!  Since we have to be there, we try and make the best of it - we scope out short lines and good tidbits for each other, and we each do get a few free food tickets - but if I had a choice, I'd skip it.  At least we're there on a weekday...

If anyone does come down, come and say hello, and I'll give you an Adler Temporary Tattoo. :)

How cool adoxograph! What a great reason to be there and a unique conduit by which to arrive. I don't anticipate attending (Duh! :raz:) but if I get abducted by aliens and they carry me off to Taste, I'll be sure to drop by--and you can even let the aliens view their home planet while we're there :biggrin:

=R=

BTW, what ever happened to Chicago Fest? You remember, the Jane Byrne era, don't you?

I remember accidentally throwing my retainer away at ChicagoFest. Man, were my folks pissed at me :laugh:

=R=

I remember accidentally throwing my retainer away at ChicagoFest. Man, were my folks pissed at me :laugh:

=R=

How did that happen? Did you puke it out?

:biggrin:

What was ChicagoFest? Was there food?

Noise is music. All else is food.

=R=

How did that happen? Did you puke it out?

:biggrin:

What was ChicagoFest? Was there food?

ChicagoFest took place on Navy Pier (IIRC) and yes, there was food.

I took out the retainer to munch down some corn on the cob, set it down on my plate, forgot about it and casually tossed the plate into the garbage when I was done eating. Stupidly, I confessed as soon as I realized what I'd done and took much heat, on premises. I should have waited until I got home to say anything. :wink:

=R=

The Taste has become at least for me a disappointing rehash with the same players. Too few new places, foods that don’t fit the venue and a few other things that others have mentioned. I only go if someone from out of town wants to or if I have some time to kill. Too bad because the concept is great but the execution has become trite.

Living hard will take its toll...

• 3 weeks later...

Some information about what's new at Taste this year from the Mayor's Office of Special events, via the Chicago Tribune...

A Taste of what's new for fest

Low-carb devotees won't be forgotten at this year's Taste of Chicago--neither will sponsors

The "corprification" of Taste seems to have ramped up to unprecedented levels this year. The entire story is about changes in sponsorship elements--with the sole exception being the mention of 1 new restaurant participating in the event. To the Tribune's credit, they don't give Taste a free pass on the issue. The article has a passively derisive tone.

=R=

Just back from a long weekend in Chicago, I missed "Taste of Chicago" but I did get to "Taste of Randolph Street", which was supposed to be a smaller, hauter version.

Admission was $10/person, which got us NO food. There were no tickets or tokens - everything was paid in cash. There were ten or so restaurants represented, some of high repute, some not. There were MANY single people there with dogs hooking up, which was amusing to watch.

I had a steak sandwich with sauteed onions and garlic aoili, with beef hand-carved by the chef of Red Light. That was maybe the high point. Also tried a N.C.-style pulled pork sandwich from Wishbone, and a shrimp and veggie kabob from somewhere...can't recall.

The crowds and lack of seating made eating tricky, but everything was on the tasty side of not bad. Still, to think hubby and I paid $36 for an afternoon snack leaves me with some buyers remorse. :smile:

I was at Taste of Randolph this weekend as well. Luckily we were there early enough to pay just $5 to get in. I'll second two of EGQuan's criticisms:

-The place was like a giant pick-up joint. I told my wife and a friend that they were wearing too much clothing to fit in with the majority of women there. :wink:

-The number of food options seems to have decreased over the past couple of years that I have gone. The number of booths where you could get a henna tattoo was close to the number of booths where you could get something to eat.

That being said, the food was good. I had a grilled duck leg (the haute version of the turkey drumstick), a good tuna taco w/ mango salsa and the pulled pork sandwich (with excellent slaw).