• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nanbankan

I've been eating at Nanbankan since day 2 of the restaurant. It's in West LA on Santa Monica Blvd, just west of the 405. They offer several "tasting menus" sort of, with their most common items bundled. For those who don't know, Yakitori is a grilled meal consisting of many different items, each grilled on a skewer and served individually. Thnik about a sushi bar where everything is cooked. You sit around the counter and order as you go, with the cooks in front of you.

Kim, the manager and the several servers bring you the back kitchen items and the sake and beer. My favorite items after 20+ years are the bacon-wrapped Asparmaki, the soft shell crab (back kitchen), quails eggs, sweet shrimp, chicken balls and the clams.

I'll be doing my B-day there Friday and will have some friends with me. We usually drop $35-40 a person and go home full. The place is always happy and full. But, no one whom I've talked to knows the place because they don't advertise, just a small name on the front. No reservations. Either for them or from me.

Does anyone know of any other yakitori places on the Westside? This place is a gem. Kim has been there since day 1 and is a very gracious and humorous host.

Captain Hongo

For purely yakitori, I prefer Kokkekoko in Little Tokyo. But there is a yakitori place on Sawtelle, close to Nanbankan. Katana on sunset is another place with yakitori, they have a good sake selection too.

I like Nanbankan, I usually order the lamb chops.

Captain Hongo, welcome to eGullet & the California board!

After a long lapse for no good reason, I recently started going to Nanbankan again, and I agree, it's excellent. I also get the lambchops - they're brilliant. Just sea salt and the smoke from Japanese charcoal.

lambchops.jpg

nankotsu - the bit of meat & cartillage between the thigh and drumstick of a chicken - the knee

nankotsu.jpg

Asparagus wrapped in paperthin pork loin (each order is 2 skewers)

asparagus.jpg

Last week, I happened to try Yakitoriya on Sawtelle, which tissue mentioned. My Japanese is rudimentary, but I think yakitori refers specifically to chicken on skewers, ya means shop or store. I was hoping that since it really is only chicken and duck on the menu , there would be some unusual parts of the chicken available. As far as I could tell, there aren't any exotic items like nankotsu. Chicken skin and liver are about as wild as it gets, FWIW. Nevertheless, everything is prepared well. I'd certainly be happy to eat there again, but I'd rather go to Nanbankan for the wider variety and better service (based on a first impression).

Sakura House on Washington Blvd near Walgrove is more directly comparable to Nanbankan, being kushiyaki (the more generic word for various skewered items, grilled), also good, but I prefer Nanbankan.

~Tad

Edited by FoodZealot (log)

I love NanBanKan! The grilled rice balls with pickled plum are so good.

It is a great place to go for an early and somewhat quick dinner before a Wine House class.

Cpt Hongo, has it really been there for 20 years? That's terrific!

• 4 months later...

Just to keep the thread going on a good place to eat.....

I had dinner at Nanbankan, tonight, and they had a new fish on the special menu. It's called a Sanna Fish and is a long sknny Pike with a sweet charcoey(sp?) flavor. Very nice. The Yellowtail collar was tasty and flavorfull with a tangy marinade, then, the Sole was sweet and buttery. Altogether, a good meal. Some props for Yakitori, please.

Edited by Captain Hongo (log)

Captain Hongo