• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hardest Skill to Master?

Dear Alton,

Good Eats has taught me a great deal about the science and mechanics of cooking. Before GE, I had no idea what was going on with my food. Who knew hot water plus flour doesn't equal gravy? Of course, I still struggle with foods like custards and breads.

I wonder what culinary skills you found tough to master. Are there any foods that still give you headaches?

Thanks,

doc_howell

“The souffle will rise or it won't. There's not a damn thing you can do about it, so just sit back and see what happens.” Cpt. Benjamin Sisko

Heck, they all still give me trouble. Your skills can never be too sharp...which brings me to knife sharpening, which is the one thing that I absolutely never could bet right. Sure I can hone with a steel but give me a stone and I just ruin everything in site. As for cooking, I guess my biggest limitation is my taste sense. I'm pretty good at recognizing the individual ingredients in the foods I taste but I seize up when pressed to identify most of them. I know them, I just can't put names to them. So when I eat out with people and they taste something and ask me "hey, what's in this?" I have to concentrate really, really hard on tasting the sample. Even then, I sometimes excuse myself to the men's room and then sneak to the kitchen to bribe a cook into telling me.

I probably shouldn't confess this kind of stuff should I?