• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Burger in Chicagoland

Many, many years ago, I lived in Chicago. There was a restaurant out in one of the western suburbs (my memory is far too hazy to know exactly where it was), called the Come Back Inn. It was a loud, noisy, peanuts on the floor kind of place, with amazingly good burgers. Does anyone know if it's still around, and if so, if the burgers are still wonderful?

Many, many years ago, I lived in Chicago. There was a restaurant out in one of the western suburbs (my memory is far too hazy to know exactly where it was), called the Come Back Inn. It was a loud, noisy, peanuts on the floor kind of place, with amazingly good burgers. Does anyone know if it's still around, and if so, if the burgers are still wonderful?

Come Back Inn on Lake Street in Melrose Park, Char broiled burgers IIRC.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I had a damn tasty burger at The Twisted Spoke a few weeks back. Charred, juicy, enormous.

In the Western Burbs Alfie's in Glen Ellyn (has been around forever) makes a good retro burger -- the kind you might have bought at a roadhouse in the early sixties.

And yes, In-and-Out can't expand fast enough for me.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I had a damn tasty burger at The Twisted Spoke a few weeks back.  Charred, juicy, enormous.

I was wondering how long it would take for The Twisted Spoke to get a mention. :wink:

IIRC, the restaurant as a whole scored 4 Forks (out of 4) the last time they were reviewed in the Chicago Tribune's 'Cheap Eats' category. Unfortunately, the story is archived and requires a fee to read, so I cannot confirm their 4-Fork status.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

So it is still there?

It's been thirty-ish years since I lived in Chicago (I was there for law school) but some food memories persist. I wasn't even a burger fan then, (nor am I now), but the burgers at Come Back Inn were especially good. Has anyone here been there in recent years who can report on what they're like now?

Although it's a chain, Blackie's makes one heck of a good burger.  I also like Meyer's (sp?) at the west end of Wilmette off of Lake Street, although you need two to really fill up.

I don't know, Michael, I think Blackies used to be better. Their original place in Streeterville used to cook up a mean burger but lately (at least the one in Glencoe) has been disappointing. Plus, one time by nephew was served chunks o' glass in his water at the one that was (is?) in Deerfield.

Meyers if fun and brings up happy memories of drunken high school teachers. Good tater tots.

Niv, you ignorant slut . . .

I had a good Blackie's burger at their Monroe and Canal restaurant recently. I can't speak for the Glencoe location.

I think there's some sort of glass curse following your family. Didn't this happen to your son at Max & Benny's? Maybe the Hearltand group can have an exorcism at the next gathering. While Ron may not have any pig blood for the ritual, I'm sure he has some blood sausage.

There are two types of burgers -big fat juicy char burgers and the flat greasy griddle fried burgers. Depending on my mood, both can hit the mark. For the flat variety I like Top Notch in Beverly and the double steak burger at Steak N Shake (a great excuse to get their fab fries). A taste of WC if I pass one on the way. Still looking for the perfect char burger-Hackney's bread too funky for me-I want a toasted bun. 'Beinlacks' overrated. I Remember a great char burger at (don't laugh) Ponderosa years ago.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I think there's some sort of glass curse following your family. Didn't this happen to your son at Max & Benny's?

No, that was completely different - that was chunks o' glass in my son's ice cream. The restaurant graciously offered to comp the ice cream after we pointed it out. Haven't been back since.

Kevin

So it is still there?

It's been thirty-ish years since I lived in Chicago (I was there for law school) but some food memories persist. I wasn't even a burger fan then, (nor am I now), but the burgers at Come Back Inn were especially good. Has anyone here been there in recent years who can report on what they're like now?

Still there. Drove past it a few days ago and it appeared to be open. Had lunch there about a year ago but did not have a burger so I can't report on that.

In Chicago, have resounding hangover resulting from trying to match drinks with a dude last night.

Not unusual, only he was the owner of the bar.

At Western & Fullerton. Require burger. Where shall I go?

And don't say the Pontiac. They have good burgers, yes, but I can't face it right now.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Nero. Wow, you're right by my house.

I'm rather fond of the Burgers at the Northside on Damen. In fact, very fond of them. Not so fond of the restaurant itself, but I'll put up with it for a good Burger.

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

There are two types of burgers -big fat juicy char burgers and the flat greasy griddle fried burgers.   Depending on my mood, both can hit the mark.  For the flat variety I like Top Notch in Beverly and the double steak burger at Steak N Shake (a great excuse to get their fab fries).  A taste of WC if I pass one on the way. Still looking for the perfect char burger-Hackney's  bread too funky for me-I want a toasted bun.  'Beinlacks' overrated.  I Remember a great char burger at (don't laugh) Ponderosa years ago.

Steak & Shakes are popping up all over the place--there's a new one up north--adjacent to a strip mall--on Willow Road between Waukegan and Shermer (right near Carrot Top, actually). I've heard it's pretty good but my predominant S&S memories are of the one in Champaign, IL, which was really kind of scary. Of course, scary doesn't mean the burgers are bad :biggrin:

"Beinlacks" - :biggrin::laugh::biggrin:

=R=

I'm rather fond of the Burgers at the Northside on Damen. In fact, very fond of them. Not so fond of the restaurant itself, but I'll put up with it for a good Burger.

Damen and what?

Do they serve Bloody Mary? Wanna meet up for a burger and a Bloody?

:biggrin:

So it is still there?

Still there. Drove past it a few days ago and it appeared to be open. Had lunch there about a year ago but did not have a burger so I can't report on that.

Unfortunately, according to the bunch in another forum, the beloved Come Back Inn is closed. :sad: Fond memories of the giant moose above the fireplace and the peanut shells on the floor remain.

I've heard rumors that it was for sale.

Flip

"Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy."

-Ben Franklin-

Damen and what?

Do they serve Bloody Mary? Wanna meet up for a burger and a Bloody?

:biggrin:

1635 N. Damen, just near the six corners in Wicker Park.

They actually do a good bloody mary, if memory serves. I would love to meet up but I'm at work right now :angry:

Thanks for asking though! :smile:

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

Steak & Shakes

I take it that you haven't been to one of these yet (since Champaign)? I was thinking of trying one. I don't have many memories of the one from College but that can be fully explained due to extenuating circumstances. :rolleyes:

Kevin

Steak & Shakes

I take it that you haven't been to one of these yet (since Champaign)? I was thinking of trying one. I don't have many memories of the one from College but that can be fully explained due to extenuating circumstances. :rolleyes:

Steak & Shake burgers arent bad at all for a fast food burger. And they're cheap.

And don't forget to try their chili - the best thing on the menu, along with their brownie a la mode with hot fudge.

I also like Meyer's (sp?) at the west end of Wilmette off of Lake Street, although you need two to really fill up.

Slightly OT here, but I also like Meier's Tavern because they serve tater tots with their burgers. :smile:

=R=

I also like Meyer's (sp?) at the west end of Wilmette off of Lake Street, although you need two to really fill up.

Slightly OT here, but I also like Meier's Tavern because they serve tater tots with their burgers. :smile:

=R=

I've never had a tater tot.

Hackney's turns out a decent product, but it's uneventful, boring and--as of late--inconsistent.  I need something more than a mounded patty between 2 pieces of cold black bread and topped with a plank of raw onion to get me going.  Yes, you can request grilled onions at Hackney's but that's not enough to push it into the upper eschelon, for me.

I could never understand the appeal of Hackney's either. :sad: Flaccid, flavorless black bread surrounds a patty that I found to be too finely ground and not flavorful. Yes, they slap a slab of raw onion on top of the burger, but neither the bread nor the burger have any texture or, to my mind, taste.

Local carnivores can find a much better burger at Top-Notch Beefburger Shop at 95th and Leavitt in the Beverly neighborhood of Chicago. The interior reminds me of Arnold's on the old "Happy Days" tv show: orange vinyl booths with wood paneling and a long lunch counter. But Top-Notch grinds U.S. Choice beef fresh daily for their burgers, which they grill up and serve to generations of South Siders. Their burgers have a nice, coarse grind and wonderfully beefy flavor.

Plus, everything on the menu costs under $7.00.

Holly Moore should stop by soon...

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

=R=

I've never had a tater tot.

:shock:

=R=

At Western & Fullerton.  Require burger.  Where shall I go?

And don't say the Pontiac.  They have good burgers, yes, but I can't face it right now.

This means you're at Quenchers, NeroW. I used to go there with a former girlfriend, Diana Banana.

Oddly, Nero herself lives on the same street as Ms. Banana, just fifty feet away. I learned this upon driving Nero home in my slick PT Cruiser from an eGullet gathering. This is just too cosmic. :blink:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Naha (on Clark Street in River North) serves an amazing cheeseburger at lunch: half-pound of very high-quality beef, cheese (I like it with blue cheese), a perfect bun, and some of the best fries I've had this side of Brussels. For ten bucks, it's an absolute steal--especially considering where you're eating it.

Was on my way downtown to the MCA ( http://www.mcachicago.org/ )to see the Lee Bontecou exhibit which has been extended through May 31.

IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN HER WORK, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was flying along on my cycle when I realized I had passed up the cheaper spots on the outskirts and found myself in the expensive river north area. I then remembered hearing about a $10 angus burger at Naha.

Showed up at 11:30am, DEAD! Absolutely DEAD, by the time I left slightly after 12, there were 6 people total, 4 tables taken, that is it. I’m guessing it had to be due to the Friday before a holiday weekend.

Started with a potato, corn and saffron soup w/some sautéed leeks. Good soup but the potato flavor should have been more pronounced IMO.

Then came the angus burger, slightly done past my requested medium rare. I chose the blue cheese as my cheese of choice. The bun is a good egg bun that has been grilled to get the flat sides crisp, not too dense. There is a “gourmet” salad mix and sliced plum tomatoes on as well. The burger has seasonings but they add not detract from the burger.

Fries I thought were only ok at first, but the way I started to polish them off, they were much better than ok, not quite Belgium quality (maybe I'm missing my Frite sauce) :smile:

Bottom line, the incredible quality blue cheese and the lovingly caramelized onions (think French onion tart caramelized) made the burger. If it were not for these two catalysts of flavor, the burger would have only been good.

For $10 a damn good burger, I would have it again.

http://www.naha-chicago.com/

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"