• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Burger in Chicagoland

I can’t for the life of me remember the exact name of the place. A little joint on Ogden Av. in Downers Grove, Great burgers and some interesting choices of toppings to choose from. Hand formed and grilled over charcoal served with fries and slaw with a pickle spear. Ronnie do you remember the place as I remember we talked about it at the Bourdain book singing? It has INN in the nam.

Living hard will take its toll...

Naha (on Clark Street in River North) serves an amazing cheeseburger at lunch: half-pound of very high-quality beef, cheese (I like it with blue cheese), a perfect bun, and some of the best fries I've had this side of Brussels. For ten bucks, it's an absolute steal--especially considering where you're eating it.

I was flying along on my cycle when I realized I had passed up the cheaper spots on the outskirts and found myself in the expensive river north area. I then remembered hearing about a $10 angus burger at Naha.

Showed up at 11:30am, DEAD! Absolutely DEAD, by the time I left slightly after 12, there were 6 people total, 4 tables taken, that is it. I’m guessing it had to be due to the Friday before a holiday weekend.

Started with a potato, corn and saffron soup w/some sautéed leeks. Good soup but the potato flavor should have been more pronounced IMO.

Then came the angus burger, slightly done past my requested medium rare. I chose the blue cheese as my cheese of choice. The bun is a good egg bun that has been grilled to get the flat sides crisp, not too dense. There is a “gourmet” salad mix and sliced plum tomatoes on as well. The burger has seasonings but they add not detract from the burger.

Fries I thought were only ok at first, but the way I started to polish them off, they were much better than ok, not quite Belgium quality (maybe I'm missing my Frite sauce) :smile:

Bottom line, the incredible quality blue cheese and the lovingly caramelized onions (think French onion tart caramelized) made the burger. If it were not for these two catalysts of flavor, the burger would have only been good.

For $10 a damn good burger, I would have it again.

http://www.naha-chicago.com/

I love NaHa. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I can’t for the life of me remember the exact name of the place. A little joint on Ogden Av. in Downers Grove, Great burgers and some interesting choices of toppings to choose from. Hand formed and grilled over charcoal served with fries and slaw with a pickle spear. Ronnie do you remember the place as I remember we talked about it at the Bourdain book singing? It has INN in the nam.

It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember the name. I'm pretty sure it's in or adjacent to a Metra station as well. There is a patio (IIRC) and they're known for their burgers. I searched a few places but could not come up with it... :wacko:

I think at the time of that Bourdain signing (May 2003) it had just been featured on CLTV's Good Eating.

=R=

It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember the name. I'm pretty sure it's in or adjacent to a Metra station as well. There is a patio (IIRC) and they're known for their burgers. I searched a few places but could not come up with it... :wacko:

I think at the time of that Bourdain signing (May 2003) it had just been featured on CLTV's Good Eating.

=R=

Yes I want to say The Dupage Inn but am not 100%.

Living hard will take its toll...

• 2 weeks later...

We hit Steak & Shake (1st time in ~20 years) for lunch today and I really enjoyed it. Since we carried-out, something was probably lost in the translation but much of the food held up, regardless.

I thought the Bacon 'n Cheese Double w/ tomato was very good. The burger meat was tasty, and even though it was cooked through, the meat wasn't overly dry. The toppings were flavorful (esp. the bacon), well-applied and fresh where applicable. The bun was standard issue. Even having ordered a double however, it was a bit on the smaller side, but that was okay since we trying several other items as well. It is a 'fast food' burger but it's clearly superior to McD's or BK. Not sure about how it stacks up vs. Wendy's. It's just been too long since I've burgered at Wendy's. In my mind, this burger easily beats Beinlich's and Hackney's too. True, those burgers are of a different genre, but still, S&S's burger delivers a more satisfying flavor.

The other items--which we ordered to sample--varied...

Fries - cold as all get out by the time we lunched, but still, those little match sticks were crispy. I'll bet these are great when eaten on premises.

Onion Rings - Salty was the first thought I had when I tasted them. Not bad though, crunchy and oniony but very 'foodservice' like.

Chili - very tasty, nice use of chunk-meat instead of ground beef. Less tomatoey and more beefy than other burger-joint chili.

Baked Beans - not a big fan in general of baked beans. These had a nice flavor. Not too sweet. As good or better than other carry out baked beans in our neck of the woods.

Cole Slaw - really enjoyed it. Tangy and pickly sauce, maybe a touch too sweet.

Chocolate Shake - good, but I hardly ever order shakes, so I don't have good basis for comparison.

Service was excellent. We downloaded an order form from their website, scoped their menu on-line, filled out the form and faxed it to them. At our request, within minutes they called to confirm receipt of our fax. When we arrived at the restaurant, the pick-up line inside was well-managed and our order was ready when we got to the front of the short line. The clerk who helped us made sure that we had all the bags before we left...even as my companion was trying to rush out of the place. When we got back to the office, every single item we ordered was present and accounted for.

Overall, this was a very good (fast food) burger experience. Next time, I hope to eat there and see if it improves the experience. I'm guessing it will.

=R=

I will have to throw in a nostalgic yes to the Hackney burger. I love the dark rye, and grilled onions, the onion loaf, and the feel of the place. It may be that the place brings me back twenty-five yearss just walking in the door, but it will always be a place I find myself returning to.

On the other hand, the best burger I can find right now, without cooking my own, is at the Towne Tap in Warrenville. The place is tiny, only open at lunch, and doesn't seat more than about thirty people. But they have a good, hand-formed quarter-pound of beef, charred nicely (although the buns could do with a little toasting) and they are juicy enough to require two napkins at least. All for $3.75, $1 more for fries instead of chips. Portillo's are good too, but they're a bit more spendy and the fries are unpredictable.

Hey Mark,

Good to see you...it's been a while.

I trust you survived your move. :biggrin:

=R=

Thanks, Ronnie. Yes, we survived the move. I finally got a lawn about a month ago, so I'm even relatively happy with all the rain. What Mother Nature supplies, we need not buy. :biggrin:

We're in the process of scoping out new restaurants and finding a few good ones. What I'm currently searching for is really good chinese food on Route 59. The family is not always willing to venture too far for a good meal. What can I say, when you're 7 years old and hungry, you're hungry NOW!

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit the Culver's outpost in Buffalo Grove, IL. Thought it was "meh" at best. As chains go, Steak & Shake blows it away. So does just about every local Chicagoloand outlet at which I've ever had a burger. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Here's a link to the more detailed thread, specifically about Culver's...

Culver's thread

=R=

Charlie Beinlich's is the closest burger to a White Manna that I've had around here--cheese and grilled onions!. Hackney's does a fine reuben, but their burgers bore me. And Meier's tavern is too...well...paper plates and "characters" who've been at the bar all day don't exactly enhance my cullinary experience (not that one can expect a cullinary experience at Meier's).... ["Peel back foil to reveal tater tots...]

If you love a crusty char-burger, hit the Little Island in NW Evanston. And their fries are my definition of perfect...grease that's just old enough to give the fries the perfect crispy-ness, with a couple of completely overdone crunchy ones lurking in the salt at the bottom of the bag.

Yes! I forgot about Poochie's. I think their burgers are fantastic--so were their hand-cut fries last time I was there. I've had their char-dog as well, but I'm not sure if I've ever had the Maxwell Street Polish...next time :wink::biggrin:

=R=

• 11 months later...
Chicago's Best Burgers (Chicago Tribune)
1. Rosebud Steakhouse

2. Naha

3. Park Grill

4. Select Cut Steakhouse

5. Paradise Pup

Other Top Contenders Include:

Bristol Tap, Candlelite, Hackney's, Hunker Down Steaks, Jake Moran's, Medici, Nick's Tavern, Rockwell's Neighborhood Grill, Silver Palm, Square Kitchen, Wollensky Grill

What a fun list! I'll be hitting each and every one of those places on the list before 1 pm today :raz:

=R=

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Rosebud a couple of blocks from my office, in Highland Park. We called them and asked if they have the "same" burger that the folks at the Tribune raved about. They said they did and today we ordered a couple -- carry out. I know this isn't the exact basis on which the Tribune rated them, but since we always get carry-out, for purposes of our comparison, it was fine. In fact, the places I list below prove that excellent burgers -- cooked exactly to order -- can be had rather easily on a carry-out basis.

Since we like Rosebud, I was a bit surprised by the mediocrity of their burgers. Yes, they were big but size isn't everything. They were scorched (acrid tasting) on the outside and nearly gray in the inside, even though they were ordered medium-rare. And they were dry, oh so dry.

The Rosebud burgers we had today don't even make the top 3 in Highland Park:

Player's Grill

Norton's

Michael's

Overall, I can think of 5 better burgers within 5 miles of my office:

Player's Grill

Norton's

Barnaby's - Northbrook

Charlie Beinlich's - Northbrook (I don't love them but they are superior to Rosebud's version)

Hackney's - Various locations (I don't love them but they also are superior to Rosebud's version)

=R=

From reading this thread, it is obvious that none of you have been to The Lantern in Lake Forest. That is the best burger in Chicagoland!

LOL! Oh, I've been there and I definitely like their burgers but don't love them. But, it's a great place and definitely one of the most unique and charming joints on the north shore. I love that electric train that travels on its high shelf around the entire place; kinda reminds me of the old Sweet Shoppe in Winnetka.

=R=

But the Sweete Shoppe has too many kids and no beer. Has anyone been to The Depot in Arlington Heights, speaking of places with trains?

Actually, I went to college in Lake Forest and waitressed at The Lantern for a couple of years, and my brother was the grillman during his tenure at LFC, so I have had a lot of Lantern burgers.

Edited by scordelia (log)

S. Cue

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Paradise Pup over the weekend. Burger w/grilled onions was wonderful, EASY to see why it is in the top 5 listed. The egg challah bun is very good and fresh

The Merkt's cheddar fries, made with REAL CHEESE, not cheese sauce crap were great. They taste better as the cheese cools a bit. I prefer the regular crinkle cut fries as opposed to the seasoned fries.

A black cherry drink was a refreshing change of pace from my usual ice tea or lemonade choice.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

• 1 month later...

Regarding the Tribune list, Select Cut Steakhouse served a very poor burger (overcooked, meat not the highest quality) compounded by rushed, manic and un-smiling staff... but the fries were excellent.

Their meat (steak included) has a nice aged tart taste, but they start out with choice, so there is a lack of fat and tenderness to balance it. Two trips, and we're done.

Our go-to's for beautifully charred burgers, alway cooked properly are Jake Melnick's ( excellent crisp fries, and possibly the best, smokiest juicy spare ribs on the North Side) and Pete Miller's, same as the prior with the addition of wonderful horseradishy slaw, and the superb Callebaut dark chocolate sticks brought with the check. Erwin's burger is always dreamy, but I feel stupid ordering burger there.

I am going to try to talk my wife into outside burgers at Gibson's today or tomorrow.

The same neighborhood as Select Cut is Tavish...there burger is great and they have a neighborhood cult following..they just don't do any of the PR stuff to get mentioned on lists....they are at Wrightwood and Wayne and they have an outdoor section on the side of the restaurant that usually has Cubs games on the TV....thats the only bad thing I can say about it....

From my experience I would like to add that Bienlich's hamburger is a bland joke. Hackney's can be decent but is inconsistant. If you truly wish to know the commercial burger's potential, try the green chile cheeseburger at Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe. (ten onces of prime ground chuck with asadero and hatch green chiles). To my shock I ordered a second one to see if I were dreaming or not. I wasn't.

From my experience I would like to add that Bienlich's hamburger is a bland joke. Hackney's can be decent but is inconsistant. If you truly wish to know the commercial burger's potential, try the green chile cheeseburger at Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe. (ten onces of prime ground chuck with asadero and hatch green chiles). To my shock I ordered a second one to see if I were dreaming or not. I wasn't.

I LOVE Bobcat Bite! I agree - one of the best anywhere.

With Green Chile Cheeseburgers in mind, Ted's (as in "Turner") Montana Grill, the new restaurant at The Glen Town Center in Glenview, offers both beef and bison burgers (as well as a grilled chicken sandwich) in a Green Chile version. It's called the New Mexico and is surprisingly delicious. It comes with guacamole which you can ask for on the side. It's the closest I've found to Bobcat Bite's GCC.

And while you're there, have the Strawberry Shortcake for dessert - they make their own shortcake biscuits.

Ted's Montana Grill

1811 Tower Drive

Glenview, IL 60025

(847) 729-1117

Nero. Wow, you're right by my house.

I'm rather fond of the Burgers at the Northside on Damen. In fact, very fond of them. Not so fond of the restaurant itself, but I'll put up with it for a good Burger.

Well, it's about a year later, but happy to say I finally tried the burgers at the Northside. Good burger, and great fries with a touch of vinegar. I love a place that will put vinegar on the fries without asking.

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 1 year later...

Top-Notch Beefburgers Inc.

2116 W 95th St

Chicago, IL 60643

773-445-7218

I made my first journey to the much acclaimed Top-Notch Burger on the Southside last week. When talk of the best burger in Chicago comes up, if a Southsider is within ear-shot then Top-Notch definitely gets thrown into the mix.

gallery_30892_4177_847616.jpg

I arrived around 2 pm and the place was doing a brisk business. I would have taken shots of the interior but that may have alarmed some of the patrons so I passed :raz: .

gallery_30892_4177_1114154.jpg

gallery_30892_4177_416848.jpg

I ordered a chocolate shake and the 1/2 lb. burger with cheese.

gallery_30892_4177_165063.jpg

gallery_30892_4177_320819.jpg

All the burgers at Top-Notch are cooked to their specifications so my preferred Med-Rare was not an option. That said the burger was good and though cooked to Med-Well still juicy. This was a very filling burger, good fries and a good value.

I am not sure that I can rate it as best in chicago...my favs:

late night burgers at the original Billy Goat Tavern under Michigan Av always hit the spot for me

Muskie's on Lincoln- their burgers are great, cooked anyway you like them (this place has supplanted Wiener Circle for me)

Boston Blackie's- the original one on Grand...very good

Erie Cafe- on the lunch menu...the Wexler special, might have to disqualify me on that one

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com