• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stage House Restaurant & Wine Bar

birder53

Hubby and I dined at Stage House last night. We were anxious to see if there were any noticeable changes since David Drake sold the establishment to a corporation( whose name escapes me.) We were last there is January of this year. I recognized some of the staff from previous visits but the server we have had for the last three years was not there. While the food was excellent, the service was not up to par. They were extremely busy for a Tuesday night, IMHO. There were two large groups in the outer rooms and all but two tables in the main dining room were filled. Our server seemed inexperienced and overworked. We ordered from the Market Menu - three courses for $35. Two tasting menus and an a la carte menu were also available. We ordered glasses of champagne to begin our meal. When asked if we wanted to see the wine menu, I declined but said we would order by the glass with our entrees. We both started with pea soup that tasted like spring! I don't recall ever having pea soup that did not taste either of salt or was overwhelmed by a smoked ham hock. No ham hock here! The presentation included crabmeat and caviar atop a large crouton and creme fraiche swirled lightly atop the soup. Entrees were hanger steak and chicken, both simply prepared but well done. Our server had not returned at this point, but a gentleman , possible the maitre'd?, came by to ask if all was well. I asked for a wine suggestion for my dish. He returned with the wine menu and helped to select a wonderful California cabernet sauvignon. When dessert arrived, molten lava cake for himself and the cheese selection for me, I was able to flag down our server to ask for the names of the cheeses and a wine suggestion. She deferred to the sommelier who had prepared the cheese plate. The sommelier suggested a wonderful sauterne, but it must have been the end of their last bottle and since not a full pour, was served wihout charge. She also gave a wonderful cheese by cheese tour of the goodies she had selected for me. They were served with an apricot compote and slices of warm raisin/nut bread. That was my first cheese plate which I tried after reading all the egullet reviews of how wonderful they could be. I liked it alot! :biggrin:

Now, the BYO reference - I think David Drake began waiving the corkage charge during the summer two years ago on weekdays. I just checked their website and it seems that every Tuesday is now BYO. They took each table's wine and labled it and served it. It wasn't left on your table for you to pour, they treated it as one of their own. I'd say that 85% of the tables last night in the main dining room had brought their own wine. I guess that explains the big crowd on a Tuesday night.

The total experience last night wasn't as wonderful as our previous ones had been. I've never seen it so crowded and noisy. The staff was gracious but stretched thin. It will be inetresting to see how the new owner does in bringing the new staff up to par with the prior level ovf service we had come to expect.

One note - there is a lovely garden patio with several tables set up - but no diners last night. There were two trellises overflowing with beautiful pink roses and the herb gardens look lovely. I don't know if I'd want to eat my meal outside, but it would be a nice spot for coffee, dessert and an afterdinner drink.

KathyM

To clarify, the new chef took over sometime between Jan and July? Sorry I didn't mention that when creating the link, I should have, it could confuse or misinform readers.

Remember that there is a new owner, new manager and a new chef at Stage House Inn.

New GM and partner is Tom Britt, formerly of The Frog and The Peach.

Give him time on the service as he has only been there about a month.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

I have to wonder how they decided to allow BYO one night only. It seems like a big hit just from the number of tables who brought their own, but it was a bit disconcerting to see the large numbers of assorted bottle carriers that were arriving. It looked like people toting lots of beach bags into the dining room. Maybe it was too popular and they decided to limit it. I would avoid dining there on a Tuesday unless I planned on bringing my own wine.

KathyM

Our experience at the Stage House Inn began before we even entered the restaurant. Passing the beautiful trellised flowers and fragrant herb garden set the mood for a most luscious evening.

We started off with cocktails from their new cocktail list. Do not miss the White Sangria with its colorful arrangement of fruits. The Summer Pear cocktail was too sweet and we were told it was coming off the menu. However the Stage House Lemonade made with vodka, triple sec, fresh lemon juice and simple syrup would be perfect on a hot summer eve especially if you choose to have drinks on the patio. Coffee Dream was just that—a luscious eye appealing combination of espresso, Absolute vanilla, Bailey’s Irish cream and a swirl of chocolate sauce which sounds perfect for dessert but was a luscious starter in my book. A kir was perfectly made with a coil of lemon hugging the glass.

The amuse bouche, a shrimp dumpling, was sitting on a pineapple wedge creating a pleasant mixture of flavors. Appetizers consisted of sautéed skate wing with melted leeks, chanterelles and curry tomato jus; a light but very flavorful English pea soup with whipped goat cheese, morels and garlic oil; a smoked salmon with spoonbill caviar, crème fraiche, shaved fennel and herbs; and a dynamite warm ricotta cheese tart with wild mushrooms, asparagus and Parmesan crisp.

Entrees also deserved applause. The Atlantic halibut with peas, braised ramps, honshemji mushrooms and parsley emulsion was full of flavor as was the Arctic char with potato puree, asparagus, morels and balsamic game sauce. Black sea bass was perfectly cooked and served with peas, Israeli couscous, and fresh mint and bolstered with a lemon chive butter. Not to downplay the fish but my favorite entrée was the Pekin duck breast enhanced with a star anise scented rhubarb sauce and served with Jerusalem artichoke puree and fava beans.

Usually if a chef excels with the appetizers and entrees the desserts don’t reach the same level of quality. This is not the case at Stage House Restaurant. Executive chef Michael Clampffer (watch this young man as I predict great things for him) also creates the stunning desserts. My favorite was the shot glasses served with different soups that were so wonderful that we were all sticking our tongues into the glasses to get the very last drops. We had pina colada; Bing cherry with sweetened cream cheese; and a rhubarb Riesling zabaglione. However, the milk chocolate pot de crème with berries was perfect as was the poppy seed financier with roasted pineapple, and comforting tapioca which I haven’t had in years. We were too full for a cheese course. Coffee was very good.

Put Stage House on your list. We’re going back!

Phone: 908-322-4224

Chef Michael Clampffer will be on Channel 4 NBC's The Today Show at 8:50 AM on Sunday May 30th. He will be doing a demonstration on preparing a meal on the grill, in keeping with the start of the summer season.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Just got this email from Stage House Inn regarding the Today show tomorrow:

We just wanted to drop you a note to let you know Chef Michael Clampffer of The Stage House Restaurant will be on Channel 4 NBC's The Today Show at 8:50am on Sunday May 30th. He will be doing a demonstration on preparing a meal on the grill, in keeping with the start of the summer season. Be sure to tune in!

Casey

Entrees also deserved applause. the Arctic char with potato puree, asparagus, morels and balsamic game sauce.

This sounds like quite a combo..did the game sauce work with the fish?

Thanks for the updated review, I really need a return visit after reading this.

It sounds like you were there with a large group..how was the service? Phil mentioned they were just getting their "sea legs"...did you feel they were on the right track to compliment the food you enjoyed so much?

We were there on a weekday night and the restaurant only had a few tables that were occupied. There was also a party of 8 in the side room. No problem with service but I can't answer for what the situation would be on a Sat. night. There were 4 of us.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE