• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lamb patties

mrbigjas

I have these two lamb patties that I bought on a whim a while ago. A little over a pound of ground lamb, basically.

I had them in the freezer, and am defrosting them for dinner tonight. But I have no idea what I should do with them. I have some nice spinach to go along side, and either have or have access to most any ingredients.....

Any ideas? For some reason I'm just drawing a blank on what to make with these things tonight. Usually I have some idea of a direction I want to go in, but I'm not coming up with much. I was thinking maybe a lamb-burger (obviously) but with either a moroccan-style "ketchup" that's all cuminy and raisiny and whatnot, or a mint/herb mayonnaise or something? It's not coming together in my head though.

Mix some yogurt and Middle Eastern spices into the meat (ras al hanout; or a combination of cumin, coriander, cinnamon, etc.) then shape them into small patties or short cylinders, skewer, and grill or broil as kofta. Serve with couscous or rice pilaf, tzatziki, and the spinach, sauteed, with raisins and nuts.

Mix some yogurt and Middle Eastern spices into the meat (ras al hanout; or a combination of cumin, coriander, cinnamon, etc.) then shape them into small patties or short cylinders, skewer, and grill or broil as kofta. Serve with couscous or rice pilaf, tzatziki, and the spinach, sauteed, with raisins and nuts.

ding ding ding ding I think we have a winner here!

(Not that the others weren't; I just don't have time to make moussaka tonight, and I just made hamburgers the other night).

One question: what do you mean by "etc" when you're talking about the spices? Just a little more detail would be great. Most of the recipes I see call for some breadcrumbs in there too; I'll have to look into that.

Thanks Suzanne.

Oh, gosh, I usually just throw in whatever my hand hits when I reach out to the spice rack: a healthy dose of sweet spices, such as the aforementioned coriander and cinnamon, maybe the tiniest pinch of cloves, some cardamom, ground ginger, allspice -- that's why I first said "ras al hanout" which is a blend, usually very personal. Also a little salt and pepper, maybe a pinch of cayenne. I also like to add a couple of glugs of bitters. Not much of a fan of adding crumbs, they make it a bit too compact, although they can be good for holding on to the tasty fat. Anyway, I don't usually measure, just dump stuff in. Sorry.

Claudia Roden's basic recipe includes only meat, S & P, chopped parsley, and grated or minced onion. Variations add chopped fresh mint; cinnamon and allspice; cumin and ground coriander; red pepper flakes or ground chili. So go with your favorite spices. She also suggests threading 1 1/2 inch slices of thin (Japanese?) eggplant between the lumps of meat. Deconstructed moussaka? :laugh:

Heh, definitely. I never thought of mixing yogurt in with the meat either.

I had some eggplant but grilled it last night with a black bean/soy glaze, so that's out, though.

Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Report: it worked great, and I have it for lunch again today. I think next time I might add a little bread crumb and maybe an egg, to make it hold together better--alternately I could probably add a little less yogurt to the meat.

Why they sell ground lamb in supermarkets im patties instead of a in bulk like other ground meat always confused me.

Anyway, I like to make lamb chili with ground lamb. Crumble the lamb into a large, hot skillet and brown it. Drain off some of the fat (or not), then throw in a holy trinity (onion, celery, pepper (I like to use red instead of green). When the veggies have softened, add curry powder to taste. Next add whole san marzano canned tomatoes, roughly chopped with a wooden spoon. add stock (beef, etc.) to cover, and stir in canned, rinsed kidney beans. Cook on high heat until the liquid is reduced to your liking and serve.

MMM.....Lamburger on foccacia with aioli and grilled onions..mmmm :wub:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Various ground meats are sold here in round patty form. I have bought beef, lamb, bison, and ostrich in this manner, maybe other meats as well. Whatever form, I view it as ground meat and make cooking decisions based on that. Sometimes it is burgers, but it may also be meatloaf or chili. The possibilities are endless.

Moussaka

Mousakka burgers maybe?

seasoned lamb pattie on a bun, followed by grilled eggplant, tomato sauce and bechemel? Served with greek fries (french fries tossed with lemon juice and oregano)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hi,

This is one thing that I am an expert on. I make 1/2 lb patties, salt and pepper liberally and grill. I use a little less heat than with beef, closer to medium/medium rare.

If you like lamb you will love these. No condiments or sauces or buns.

I have never understood why people want to use so many spices and sauces with lamb......it doesn't need it. Enjoy the taste by itself.

Cakes