• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Norfolk/Hampton, VA

dscott

I'll be in Chesapeake and Hampton next week for one day (and Hampton the week after) for work. What's good to eat in that area?

I figure that Norfolk's on the way from Chesapeake to Hampton and I've heard that the Ghent area of Norfolk is a good place for chow. Any place specifically? Given my dining partners, a nice mid-range bistro would be perfect but they're pretty open to all foods. Whatever is best. Oh, this would be for lunch.

Anything in Hampton itself? I'll be looking for dinner here, preferably at the low-price end and suitable for solo dining.

T.I.A.

The Bakers Crust is a good soup, salad and sandwich shop - Very good fresh breads. Good deserts too. It's down around 22nd or 24th street in Ghent as I recall. - Regional Chain - There's one in Richmond

One place I used to like in Hampton was the China Garden chinese buffett. they tend to prepare food in small batches so the food is always fresh. It's not too expensive as the main clientele is from Langley AFB. Clean, bright and friendly. Located on Mercury Blvd just east of the I-64 overpass. - Locally Owned

Slightly more upscale would be Cheddars at the Patrick Henry Mall. Good "Fern Bar" atmosphere. Located SW of the I-64/US-143 (Jefferson Ave) interchange on Jefferson. - Chain

If you continue on down Jefferson past Cheddars for a few miles you will pass a number of restaurants, some chains, some mom & pop type places.

I hope this helps - drop me a line directly if you want to talk about other places there - I lived there for four years just before I moved to Richmond.

- Tom

Edited by TGTyson (log)
Tom Tyson

CORA'S RESTAURANT ON 21ST IN GHENT IS GOOD- A LITTLE ON THE VEGGIE FARE FOR ME THOUGH. PROBABLY YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE TO PARK ON GRANBY ST IN DOWNTOWN NORFOLK. BEST PLACE IN THE CITY IS TODD JURICH'S BISTRO- GREAT WINE SELECTION AND SOME COOL SPIN ON TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN CUISINE. ALSO A FEW TAPAS PLACES-ONE TRADTIONAL ONE MORE SPANGLISH ALONG GRANBY. JUST PARK AND WALK. DON'T BOTHER WITH HAMPTON. IT'S ALL FASTFOOD AND I-HOPS.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

If you want great fresh seafood head to Harpoon Larry's in Hampton. It's a little shack, but they have excellent fish sandwiches that you can get anyway you want. They have a blackboard w/ the fresh fish for the day, it usually contains at least 6 different kinds. Good beer too!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I only got to eat on one visit and we were pressed for time but...

we ate at the Pottery Wine & Cheese Shop on Wine(?) St. in Hampton. It was very good. Looks like a gem of a little place. Excellent beer choices (didn't look at the wines). I had a mixed salad plate that included a delicious mango chix sal, waldorf salad and a couple other bits and pieces. It was very good. I would certainly go back again were I in the area for lunch.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

we ate at the Pottery Wine & Cheese Shop on Wine(?) St. in Hampton.

Excellent choice. I've eaten lunch there a couple of times, and have thoroughly enjoyed the sandwiches. Beers and wine are both well-represented there. Glad you enjoyed it.