• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mezzanotte now Luce

Susan

The info. that I can give you that I know is accurate is that one of the former owners Ken Daneyko (of the NJ Devils) is no longer involved with the restaurant. Also, they are once again BYO. I do believe that they have completely changed both in ownership and in the kitchen.

(Edited by RockADS21 at 10:02 am on Sep. 28, 2001)

A.D.S.

Might also want to check if they have a liquor license.

it's sorta complicated, but I believe the liquor license Mezzanotte had was rented from another owner. The license was withdrawn before the place changed hands.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 11 months later...
Was there once and it was ok. I prefer Bella Rosa in East Hanover and Corso 98 in Montclair.

Ditto on what she said

The BYO place across the street (Forte's) has better food at a lower price. Unfortunately it also has even more attitude.

The Fresco place should be open in two weeks, I heard. On the avenue, just east of Central. Used to be Oggi.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Hey thanks for the replies. I have been to Forte's a few times. I usually go to the take away side on the right. The pizza I had was pretty good and the place seems often busy.

Rosie I have a feeling you live in the general area I do from the places you mention on the board here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We met friends at Luce, in Cauldwell this evening. The good news is that they are BYOB and we had two very fine bottles of wine. The bad news is that we drove 45 minutes to have food that will in no uncertain terms ever bring us back to this restaurant. To say that it was ordinary would be very kind. The worst part of the evening was that we had to wait an hour (no exageration) for our appetizers. When we complained to the manager we were told that it takes a long time to grill calimari. An hour??

Hank

Mike the owner of Forte's is a good friend of mine so I could be biased, but they have the best escarole bean soup anywhere. Probaly the best if not most interesting flavors of pizza in the area. And yes, it is packed all the time.