• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good tea selection to keep on hand?

phaelon56

My friends and acquaintances know that they'll always get to try one of my ever changing espresso blend when they visit and I typically have some roasted coffee varietals (at least three or four) in the freezer for regular coffee.

How about tea? I drink it only on occasion and keep a tin of Earl Grey and one of Irish Breakfast in the freezer (loose tea - I use a tea ball). Will one of you kindly souls with tea expertise suggest five or six varities that I might invest in? I'd like to have a coupl stalwart old reliable type selections for the unadventurous but also want to have a few that most of my friends have not tried - something a bit less commonplace that I might introduce them to.

Carmel cream is a good after-dinner black tea (ideal with milk). Coconut is another adventurous and appealing black tea. Both are available through Teavana.

I noticed in your original message that you keep loose tea in the freezer. Never, ever keep tea in the freezer! The moisture can potentially ruin it. Always keep your tea in a tightly sealed container, preferably in a dry, dark place. Tea will keep for months if kept in a stable climate.

For China greens, I'd suggest Todd & Holland.  For Japanese greens, Gray & Seddon. Both companies also feature a range of other Asian teas, but there's a lot of less pricey importers who will do for the more mature teas like oolong and pu erh.

You can learn a lot from browsing the two websites, and both companies offer samplers.

I've been looking for a place to buy good tea. Thanks for these suggestions!

How about Thai tea? It is not really a connoisseur's drink but it is some what unusual; we have taken to drinking it hot for breakfast, as we decided coffee was giving us the jitters. But normally everyone goes for it on ice, sweetened with condensed milk (it's popular in Thai restaurants).

Also I love inexpensive Red Label tea- either Brookes brothers or Lipton from the Indian shops. You can add whole cinnamon sticks and green cardamon pods, for flavoring. Served with milk, I guess it is known as 'cha'.

Karla Baumhover Pengsagun

Temple of Thai - online Thai food

• 1 month later...

Poking my nose in here, I concur most strongly with the recc. of Upton. I know I should branch out, but they are so efficient and easy to deal with I just go for it.

I drink mainly Chinese black teas of the Yunnan variety; Lapsong is also a favorite to consume with bagels and lox. I also keep Assam and green teas for the afternoon.

I used to contribute to rec.food.drink.tea but after reading anodyne's posts, I gave up.

Drinking Chinese black teas is so much like drinking red wine... tannins, body and ... flavor!

• 1 month later...

:biggrin: however new you are , are you permitted to take up a smitten topic once again :wub: I hope to try in my bit here..

I love herbal teas of

edited: http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com, and www.yogitea.com

I've tried bedtime tea and winter tea from yogitea,gives me a really good feeling of relaxation etc. though it was my first time trial here into herbal.

Other one s are lipton any green or black, and taj mahal from india(hope you've had a chance to make the chai version of this variety)

Since tajmahal teas are black and strong may be they should be cobrewed with water mixed with milk and may be cardomom sugar to taste.. :wub:

edited to add the correct web addresses

Edited by Geetha (log)

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss this thread before?

Another fan of Upton here. You'll find my reviews scattered around the Indian & Ceylon teas. (I went off Chinese teas some years ago.)

Sadly, in the past couple of years, Upton has put 4 of my all-time favorite teas on "permanently sold out" status. Nor do they answer my emails as to why this has happened. That's a bit frustrating. Still, they keep finding new teas, & their overall quality & selection are so consistent, I keep going back.

To me, it's essential to have some good Assams around for morning.

I concur with memesuze above on brewing. I've used the two-pot system (one to brew, one to strain the tea into) for nearly 30 years now. I have two heavy pots (McCormick & a Hall) that I found at NYC flea markets a couple of decades ago. I love the heft of them & the way they retain heat. Do they make 'em like that any more? Modern pots seem thin & flimsy by comparison.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

This http://www.perchs.dk/engelsk/produkter.asp?Type=Grøn%20the

is where i shop(it's around the corner from me). Which would you choose and why? The descriptors on the page aren't that great. The last thing i bought there was the Focha Dragon King which i enjoyed and the gunpowder green is my normal cup.

thanks,

Brian

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long