• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The NY Times (re)Discovers IPAs

Rich Pawlak

It would be interesting to know which other beers, besides Brooklyn's, didn't make the cut, and why. Very few of my favorites are there, and I'm left wondering if they tasted and didn't like them, or just didn't taste them.

According to the article, the panel tasted 22 IPAs, and gave us their top picks out of the 22.

I would imagine that they took out Brooklyn's very fine IPA due to the fact that Garret Oliver, its brewer, and a good friend of the Asimov, was on the tasting panel for the article.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Actually, the article does say that Brooklyn EIPA was among the beers tasted, and that Garrett ranked it highest among all others tasting. Janet's point was that it didn't get a recommendation from the panel. I too am curious which others were tasted that didn't make the top 10.

Asimov made a point of saying that he was surprised that Brooklyn's offering didn't come out higher, given how much he enjoys it; so as an experiment, he brought home a cold bottle and thoroughly enjoyed it. He attributed the poor performance in the tasting to a bad bottle, but I wonder how much that was a factor versus tasting the mellower EIPA among such hop-intensive brews as Victory HopDevil and Dogfish head Imperial IPA.

Christopher

I couldn't believe they chose the Portsmouth stuff. I had a pint of the very same at the Portsmouth BrewPub two weeks ago (okay, two pints) and thought it was just okay. Shipyard IPA is better

Perhaps I'm missing the subtle differences vs. pale ales? D.L. Geary's here in Portland being a spectacular one.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Ballantine's IPA was aged for six months in wooden casks which was one of the reasons it was soooooooo goooooooood! Fuller's 1845 bottle conditioned is my favorite after my brother in laws full grain IPA. Goose Island hand pumped is also very good but you have to go to their establishment to drink it and they don't do growlers. -Dick