• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Framingham Sauvignon Blanc 2002

primowino

This is a fairly French style SB, especially as it comes from the heart of New Zealand SB production, just down the road from Cloudy Bay.

The main flavours I got from this were gooseberry and asparagus ( I often taste this in SBs that are part way between Loire and typical New Zealand style). However, the most prominent characteristic is the searing acidity which reminded me of some of the young Australian Rieslings I've had. This acidity was a slight problem with my first bottle as it was drunk without food and I think most people would find the acidity overpowering. The second bottle of wine came into its own with pasta and a tomato based sauce, when I started to notice flavours I hadn't picked up before and found it very pleasant.

This wine retails for around £11 in the UK and won a silver medal at the 2003 IWC. Their standard 2002 Marlborough SB won a gold and from its description is probably more typical of the region. The Winemakers Reserve is a quality wine and I enjoyed it very much with food. I suppose in a perfect world you would drink this wine with food and the standard "cuvee" without.

Just had the Sauvignon Blanc Franingham Marlborough 2001.

Lovely, refreshing and fairly priced with a perfectly balanced acidity.

Thanks for sharing. will be looking out for the 2002.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.