• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diamond's. the 'burg in Tenton

Kim WB

Went to Diamonds int he Chambersburg section of Trenton last weekend.  Have not been there is about two years..I have other favorites in the area that we usually choose.

They've redecorated since then, thankfully moved those family photos to the lounge area. It's still tacky, cheap scones, gilded mirrors with fake flowers,  grape vines, sponge painting.  And the crowd in there...right out of a Soprano's episode.  They are so mobster looking, they almost look like actors trying to be mobsters...over the top, if you know what I mean. It's fun, the waiters know the regulars.

My husband loves their Dried aged steak,  and had that witht eh scungelli salad ans sausage bread.  I tasted the bread, very great..but c'mon, sausage, cheese, roasted pepppers, bread...like its hard to make that taste delicious? LOL. I am rarely impressed with a dish that includes butter and cheese...my theory being that EVERYTHING with butter and cheese tastes good!  Anyway, I had the traditional caesar..a treat after the typical ersatz ( is that the word of imitations?) caesars all over...filled with anchovies and great croutons.  I continued on my traditional path, and had Veal Oscar.  There are other, more updated menu selections, and the pasta selections are especially diverse.  The Veal was wonderful, with a made form scratch hollandaise, not overcooked asparagus, lump crabmeat that tasted fresh even if it wasn't ( I don't know) ..for dessert, I had tiramisu.. No funky interpretaions of this often re-invented dessert...traditonal soaked lady fingers, strong espresso taste, wonderful cream...

It's a fun, almost "back in time" experience.  WE had an expensive Italian wine,  an Amarone I think, and so were offerred after dinner drinks at the bar...it was a real offer, not just to turn the table.  The bar lounge area had a very bad lounge singer in a red sparkly vest, doing Beach Boy songs...I was looking around waiting for hte joke, and then I realized he was for real, and the mobsters and moles ...er, I mean the  men and women at the bar were intently listening.

Michaelangelo's in Newark has some of the same elements. Good, technically proficient Italian-American food (veal parm, baked ziti, etc) but the real show is the crowd.

Guys in black shirts with white ties, muscle shirts, lots of jewelry, women showing off all God gave them (and maybe a little more). Blue haze from the cigarette smoke. Dean Martin songs.

For all I know, maybe these folks are accountants on a night off, or Mafia wannabes, but it can be fun.  Bloomfield Avenue, about a mile east of the railroad tracks, on the right, cross street might be 9th.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Bellissimo's?

Nice place, upscale clientele, good food, they enforce the no smoking rules. Don't know if I'd be able to tell an organized criminal (or a disorgnized one, either) on sight. I suspect anybody in a black shirt and white tie would be laughed out of the joint. In the back of my mind, I think the chef/owner and maitre came from San Carlo in Lyndhurst.

But, it is only a short distance from Tony's TV home.

Rosie -

It's just before schools stadium in Newark, perhaps 4 blocks from Belmont Tavern. I believe  family members own La Panna Griglia in Madison (the former, and lamented Three Central). Right around the corner from, and sharing a loading area with, Il Mondo Vecchio.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

actually, I have driven by it.

Any time relatives from out of town come, they DEMAND to see it.  But the house doesn't look anything like it does on TV.

When they do the exterior filming of the two houses, a landscape crew installs shrubbery, a new door appears, and voila! When they finish, the landscape moves on...

rancho gordo

actually, I have driven by it.

Any time relatives from out of town come, they DEMAND to see it.  But the house doesn't look anything like it does on TV.

When they do the exterior filming of the two houses, a landscape crew installs shrubbery, a new door appears, and voila! When they finish, the landscape moves on...

it looks the same to me!  i guess i don't notice landscaping too much.  and they didn't make it easy, putting it on a cul-de-sac and all.  you feel like a real twit pulling up and turning around.  i heard they actually had a cop at the end of the street for a while stopping people.  i don't blame them.

my wife grew up in mt lakes, and when we watch the sopranos she's constantly pointing out various spots that she recognizes. it was a special thrill when the young kid got whacked in boonton.

Tony's mom's place actually looks just like the house where her mom grew up in east caldwell.

Jim

ps...her folks finally moved to florida last year, so we don't get back as much as we used to...about as often as I get to this board

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food