• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Shrek" M & Ms

Brad Ballinger

Anyway, getting back to Shrek M&M's (we've kind of got an existing topic for all of these other "novelty" candies--at least in general), I kind of dig the artwork on the front of the Shrek Peanut bag (at least the 14.0 oz. size), where "Yellow" has turned Shrek green and into an Ogre.

So has anyone succeeding in biting in half a group of normal M&Ms and Ogre-sized ones (peanut would work best) and giving us a comparitive photo of the cross section? :laugh:

Raises hand and volunteers for experiment.

I'll give it a go. I like the peanuttiness of the regular ones, so I may not like the Shrek ones, but I'm willing to buy a pack of each and try them. I have a digicam, so I'll try to post photos as well, as long as you don't mind pics of slobbery candy cross sections.

Gourmet Anarchy

OK, if I can figure out how to take a close-up with my digicam, I'll take a picture of the cross-section. It's a PITA to get one, as most of the shell wants to come off in the process, but I think I've got a pretty good system going with a serrated knife (biting does not work).

I'll also take a picture of the naked peanut from each.

In the experiment, samples taken are the average size for each type of peanut M&M.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, but is happy to reap the benefits of having candy in the house (we normally keep it far, far away because I have no self control).

And I like the regular ones better. Not that I don't like the Shrek M&Ms, but I do like more peanut than chocolate. I do wish they would make the green the standard, though. I love that color!

Gourmet Anarchy

The latest limited edition stuff I've noted at the stores:

Almond Joy Pina Colada (pineapple flavored coconut)

Almond Joy Chocolate Chocolate (chocolate flavored coconut)

York Peppermint Patty Chocolate Truffle Mint Patty

Hershey's White 'Chocolate' with Almonds

Hershey's Cookies and Chocolate (instead of the Cookies and Cream)

Kit Kat Mint

Kit Kat Orange

Pearson's Chocolate Covered Salted Nut Roll

Kit Kat Mint are awesome. So good. So, I might not fit into my stupid bridemaid's dress, good. I highly recommend picking up a pack.

The orange, not so much. Buy an extra mint!

Oh, and to stay on topic. I bought some (highly overpriced) Shrek M's at Blockbuster when we were renting a video. I couldn't really tell the difference between the regular and big peanut variety, but I loved the plain. They are much larger and crunchier. It seems like there's more candy coating and it makes eating them so much more satisfying!

Edited by JenBrava (log)

Had two bags of peanut Shrek 2 M&Ms this weekend. My instant reaction was a bit of deja-vu. I have no evidence whatsoever to back this up, but I think that these taste more like peanut M&Ms used to taste "back in the day", whenever that is. I wonder if the company has gotten skimpy with the ingredient mix over the years.

Or maybe I'm just idealizing the experience. At any rate, they are much better than the current regular version of peanut M&Ms.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

So has anyone succeeding in biting in half a group of normal M&Ms and Ogre-sized ones (peanut would work best) and giving us a comparitive photo of the cross section?  :laugh:

Jason wouldn't take a picture of it!

HINT: you have to wipe the spit off.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've only tasted one bag of these, but I can shed a little light on the problems of "Ogre-sized" M&Ms. My company has a customer in the candy-packaging business, and one of his accounts is packaging M&Ms "Special Editions". He gave me some samples of these before they came to market. They had one hell of a time packaging these, because the double coating was very brittle, and the candy shell was broken on almost every M&M in my sample. As a result, an entire tanker truck of M&Ms were "surplused" - discarded. I ate what I could, but I'm barely one man. They are now but a distant memory. That said, they appear to have fixed the problem.

Wow. Who'd have thought a little enhancement would make such a difference? The plain are crispier and there's a little more substance to them. That having been said, I think I like the peanut version better.

They should have done this back when "Godzilla" came out or even "Jurrasic Park". Hopefully, these larger M & M's will keep making return appearances.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Enjoyed a bag of Shrek peanut M&M's while watching Shrek 2 today.

The movie is hysterical. I am not the kind of person who usually laughs out loud in theaters, but I couldn't help myself. A real effort was made to entertain adults as well as the kiddies. Well worth the outrageous prices they charge these days.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe