• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mango Curry

Richie111

I've been wanting to experiment with a mango curry dish for a while, and tonight I did. I'm not sure how it turned out. :huh:

Out of all my cookbooks, the only recipe I found was supposed to be a Sri Lankan sour curry. The basic ingredients were green mangoes, onions, coconut milk (I made it fresh), and Sri Lankan roasted curry powder (I made it myself).

I thought I had picked up some green mangoes at the grocer but they were actually Haitian mangoes which were ripe and sweet. To compensate for this I soaked the mangoes in some water with amchoor and lemon juice hoping it would kill the sweetness. I also added a little amchoor while I was cooking.

The end result was interesting, and I'm not sure if I liked it. Although the onions weren't overpowering I could definitely taste them a little in there and I don't know if it's an acquired taste or I just screwed up the dish.

Any thoughts? I'm sure there are a zillion ways to use mangos, but what is a good mango curry supposed to taste like? I found one of Madhur Jaffrey's on a website that used ripe mangoes and jaggery with no onions...That sounds a little too fruity for a main dish for my taste. How are mango curries typically eaten? With what accompaniments/rice/breads?

-Richie

Don't know about "curry", but we Bengalis make a sour dal with green mango slices in the dal. Its called "tok dal" ("tok" pronounced as "tawk", literally means sour :>)

Richie111

I'll post a recipe later for a ripe mango curry - as you imagine, it's sweet and spicy - not for you if you do not like fruity (or sweet) curries.

Raw mangos are used in curries as souring agents.

In the Konkan coast (quoting Vikram from Gujarat to Goa) a yummy shrimp and green mango curry is made. I have given a recipe in the bottle masala post

Richie111

I'll post a recipe later for a ripe mango curry - as you imagine, it's sweet and spicy - not for you if you do not like fruity (or sweet) curries.

Raw mangos are used in curries as souring agents.

In the Konkan coast (quoting Vikram from Gujarat to Goa) a yummy shrimp and green mango curry is made. I have given a recipe in the bottle masala post

Bague25 - Thanks for your response. I just found your recipe under the bottle masala thread. That recipe looks a lot like what I did last night except you added garlic and your main ingredient was fish.

I would be grateful if you posted your recipe, I am not opposed to something sweet and spicy, but one of the recipes I found sounded to me like a mango pie filling, which is not something I typically think of for dinner.

I am wondering if I screwed up the dish last night. Perhaps the onions I used were too pungeant, maybe I should have blanched them, cooked them longer, I don't know. Or perhaps that oniony aftertaste combined with the sourness of the mango is an acquired taste?

mango curry of the uncooked variety

wet grind grated coocnut, mustard seeds and dry red chillies. Deskin the mangoes (of desi variety.... choose the juicy ones). Mash them very very slightly. Juice from the skins also is added to the curry.... add jaggery and salt to taste.....

and voila.......... the GSB amba sansav or sasam as it is sometimes spelt in english

Guest nimki

i read a very interesting article on sukke (sp?) and how amitabh bacchan relishes this dish. it is a maharashtrian dish made with cubed ripe mangoes and cooked with a masala made out of coriander seeds, dry red chillis, fresh grated coconut and a couple of other things i don't recall immediately.

I tried my hand at it from the description in the article. it turned out to be an interesting mix of flavours - the sharpness of spices and chillis with the nutty taste of toasted coriander seeds and coconut juxtaposed with the sweetness of magoes. i quite liked it though my family couldn't make up their minds whether they liked it or not (although the whole thing got polished off).

i guess you could call this a curry. the only thing is i didn;t think it went well with the chapatis. It tasted a whole lot better with crisp paranthas.

Here is my mango curry recipe. I guess this recipe would work for other fruit like pineapples and jackfruit:

Mango curry

6 small mangos

1 T oil

1 sprig curry leaves around (10 leaves)

1 t mustard seeds

½ t cumin seeds

3 cloves garlic crushed with skin

3 red dry chillies

1 T jaggery

Salt to taste

(For mango curry “inferior” quality mangos are used – one that are too fibrous to eat) I guess you could use chopped mango piece; personally I prefer mangos of good quality as is.

Wash and peel the mangos. In a large bowl, add 1 cup water and the peels and squeeze the last bit of pulp and juice out of peels. Discard peels. Add mangos and squeeze to mash a bit.

Heat oil. Add curry leaves, mustard, cumin seeds. Add garlic and fry till golden. The dry chillies now go in too. After a few seconds add the mango (carefully it splutters), jaggery and salt. Bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add more water if required. Serve piping hot with plain steamed rice.

Hi

asked my mom... she says she hasnt heard of seege. But the full name of dry goosebarry saar as she recalls is jeere-meerya aavalboyecho saar (dry gooseberry with cumin seeds and dry pepper)

drat!i was hoping you'd put me out of my misery!i love a good mystery but the recipe calls for gooseberry leaves and then asks that they be soaked to loosen the seeds.. :wacko:

many thanks for trying though :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I happen to see this ingredient in a recipe a long time ago and asked my GSB mom-in-law what seege leaves might be. She says they are the leaves of the shikakai tree.. soap pod i think it is called in english. My mom used to insist on using the pod to wash my hair when I was young despite my great desire to want to use fancy nice-smelling shampoos endorsed by the glamorous fimstars of the day :).. so the thought of putting some part of the same tree (plant?) in a curry sounded a lil weird to me :). Never managed to find the leaf in the US anyway, so the recipe was never tried :(. Hope this helps!

- worm@work

you're quite right worm@work-acacia sinuata to be precise.i tracked it down!this book is full of typos and wild translations but good reading nonetheless.as for cooking with the leaves-well anything 'saar' will do i guess!i love the use of ingredients like hibiscus,orange peel,pomegranite peel and the like.

Also, some south Indian mango 'curry-type' preparations are mangai (i.e. tamizh word for mango) arachu kalakki (literally translated as mixed after grinding!).

Recipe:

2 medium sized raw mangoes

1 cup fresh grated coconut

3-4 green chillies

A lil bit of plain yoghurt (I add a couple of tbsp)

Salt

Mustard seeds

Methi seeds (fenugreek)

A lil bit of oil for seasoninig

Peel the mangoes and cut into large pieces suitable for grinding. Grind the mango pieces, coconut and chillies. Add the yoghurt and mix well. Add salt as per taste. Heat a small qty of oil and when its hot add the mustard seeds and methi. When the mustard seeds begin to crackle, pour on top of the ground mixture and you're ready to go :). It makes a great chutney-style accompaniment to a bland dal or

'kootu'. It's tangy and a lil spicy and can be preserved in the refrigerator for a day or two.

Another mango curry my mom used to make the Maanga Kootan. THis is a sweet n sour kinda curry with coconut and sour curd and jaggery. Very tasty albeit an acquired taste I think. I didnt fancy it much as a kid (the medley of flavours was too much for me to take) but my grown-up palette really likes the complexity of the dish :).

-worm@work

• 3 weeks later...