• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle: Diners / Dives

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Kettel's Korner (or is is Corner?) on 4th Ave S, a couple of blocks North of Marginal is about the closest to the Midwestern Greasy Spoon of Memory I've found out here. Entirely tolerable Chicken-Fried Steak...

and, hey, btw has anyone tried Mendi's Chamorro style restaurant and One Dollar Store in the former new Koba BBQ space? I have to say I'm deeply intrigued...

cg

"...plant a tree for Cesar"

--M.F.K. Fisher

Breakfast Club on Lake City Way is a terrific breakfast only joint. They make a killer Eggs Benedict. They have lots of creative omelettes/egg combos and their pancakes (including real blueberry) are the best I've had in Seattle.

Edited by wubette (log)

What about "Diner" in Pioneer Square? It's not outstanding, but it's solid, cheap, and it really is a diner. It didn't seem exceptionally dive-y, but the neighborhood sure does... is it just me or does it seem like Pioneer Square is getting worse?

http://www.iheartbacon.com/index.php?id=208 (write-up of Diner)

Megan Woo

IHEARTBACON.COM

I think Pioneer Square is always getting worse, the further one gets away from being a 21 year old college student. There are gems, but they are small in number. It's not that Pioneer Square is changing; it's been miserable, according to Tom Robbins anyway, since the 80s, when all of the federal funding for mental hospitals disappeared.

My favorite breakfast is fairly minimalist... quiche and some sort of laminated pastry or brioche with coffee or orange juice, Cafe Besalu, Ballard.

Occasionally I might go out for a warm breakfast, but since every omelet seems to be overcooked these days, I'm usually happier at a good bakery. Another fair option for me was Au Bouchon in Fremont, a creperie. I haven't done it yet, but a coule of the many Thai restaurants in Fremont have been promising Thai-style breakfast/brunch on weekends for the last 6 months or so.

What about "Diner" in Pioneer Square? It's not outstanding, but it's solid, cheap, and it really is a diner. It didn't seem exceptionally dive-y, but the neighborhood sure does... is it just me or does it seem like Pioneer Square is getting worse?

http://www.iheartbacon.com/index.php?id=208 (write-up of Diner)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

• 2 weeks later...

On Madison on First Hill there are Zeenas and also the First Hill bar and grill (acoss from Vitos.) Zeena's is friendlier and brighter, sort of an independent version of an IHOP, The FHB&G is divier but not as low a place as The Turf. It has more of the classic Greek diner feel to it imho.