• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle: Diners / Dives

Anyone know of good diners/dives to go for breakfast? There's the obvious choice of Beth's--and Hurricane (which has gone somewhat yuppy). I drive through SoDo pretty often and see the places like Andy's Diner or Koffee Pot. Never been to any of them and was wondering if it's worth it to stop by. Or, there are all those places on Aurora...

Any ideas or suggestions?

--braincell

Thank you for posting this question...beat me to the punch. I need a greasy diner in the worst way...something other than the Mecca. If anyone has a lead on a Mexican restaurant that serves breakfast in Seattle Metro, please post....I am Jonesing hard for Migas and Chillaquilles.

"I'm not pro-life, I'm not pro-choice. I'm pro-football"

~Kinky Friedman

I think Vera's in Ballard is great-it is a family run, diner style, old Ballard type of place, but it ISN'T greasy or a dive, so it might not scratch that itch if you have it. The food strikes a balance between traditional diner (chicken fried steak for breakfast, BLTs and pie for lunch) and slightly more yuppie (Avocado omelettes).

You might like the Salmon Bay Cafe-I consider that a greasy diner. The Stone Way Cafe is good, too. Neither of these places are dives, though.

Thank you for posting this question...beat me to the punch. I need a greasy diner in the worst way...something other than the Mecca. If anyone has a lead on a Mexican restaurant that serves breakfast in Seattle Metro, please post....I am Jonesing hard for Migas and Chillaquilles.

Not a Mexican place, but does have migas - and a whole lot more:

Portage Bay Cafe

And Peso's Kitchen and Lounge is open weekends for breakfast, though I've never been.

Here's an interesting breakfast link:

lot's o' breakfast ideas

This thread makes me sad thinking about how much I'd like to still be able to recommend Sammie Sue's Diner at 12th & Pine (Pike?). Alas, it is no more. :sad:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Galeria's on Broadway does a nice Sunday brunch. There's a range of good entrees and it's served with Mexican pastries and fruit. At $7.25, it's a great deal.

We like Glo's in Capitol Hill for a very tasty diner breakfast/brunch, but if you go on the weekend, expect to wait a while unless you go very early or very late. It's worth calling ahead to put your name on the list if you're going during normal brunch hours.

Two more diners I thought of, though while they definitely serve diner food neither are dives or too greasy:

Pete's Eggnest on Greenwood Ave at 78th

Hattie's Hat on Ballard Ave

13 coins

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I think Vera's in Ballard is great-it is a family run, diner style, old Ballard type of place, but it ISN'T greasy or a dive, so it might not scratch that itch if you have it. The food strikes a balance between traditional diner (chicken fried steak for breakfast, BLTs and pie for lunch) and slightly more yuppie (Avocado omelettes).

You might like the Salmon Bay Cafe-I consider that a greasy diner. The Stone Way Cafe is good, too. Neither of these places are dives, though.

I've been to Vera's. That was great. But not quite a dive.

I definitely will have to try Salmon Bay Cafe and Stone Way Cafe. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does no one go to the true dive-y places? I'm talking about Turf (which has moved to the Olympic Broiler location). Maybe I will just have to start sampling the offerings on Aurora and S. Seattle.

Andy's Diner still intrigues me.

--braincell

If anyone has a lead on a Mexican restaurant that serves breakfast in Seattle Metro, please post....I am Jonesing hard for Migas and Chillaquilles.

Taqueria Pancho Villa is located on Lake City Way and 80th in North Seattle. They make great tacos (cabeza, tongue, al carbon, etc.) and also make their own tortillas. I haven't been for breakfast yet, but they serve it every day.

Also a great diner that I used to hit almost every weekend was Voula's Lakeshore Cafe on North Lake Union. Good times.

Fyi, Braincell, none of the places I listed were dives. I too think that the Turf (which I've never actually been in) is an example of a dive and no way do these places get that low.

Used to eat at Voula's, when I lived close by. It was always okay, just nothing I'd go out of my for.

There are still a couple of dives in Ballard - the Smoke Shop...noticed they open at 6 am. Cigs and coffee...

I'm always surprised by how many people I see at Voula's Off Shore Cafe on Northlake. Has anyone eaten there?

I've eaten at Voula's only once. I love hashbrowns but theirs were undercooked and flavorless.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Well here's another one. It needs a little access-getting. There's a little joint in Broadmoor that makes burgers to rival Red Mill. Yeah you read right, in Broadmoor. It used to be known as Rosie's but sadly she has passed. Well to me the snack bar at the ninth tee will always be known as Rosie's. I never was a member of the golf club but I did caddy there a couple of summers and did grow up between the pearly gates there too. As such I had plenty of opportunities to eat Rosie's cheeseburger. It sets the standard for burgers as far as I am concerned. And aside from the trick of gaining access to Broadmoor, like just getting in the gates which you can do by perfecting a certain self-assured wave, all you have to do is find the ninth tee and walk up to the window (as I did on my last visit to Seattle) and ask the girl with the pierced tongue who is smoking Camel Lights and reading White Noise to make you one of Rosie's cheeseburgers.

Edited to add: I was thinking dives. Well Rosie's is its own form of dive for sure but I remember now that this thread is about breakfast. I'm not really sure what that girl would do with eggs. You're probably better off going to Beth's. . . or this Chinese-run diner on the way up to Anacortes that sells breakfast meats by weight. Yeah I'd go there. Tell them not to burn the eggs.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Galeria's on Broadway does a nice Sunday brunch. There's a range of good entrees and it's served with Mexican pastries and fruit. At $7.25, it's a great deal.

We gave this a whirl on Sunday. It is a deal, and the food is decent. Not amazing, mind you, but good enough for $7.25, no question. As always at Galerias, the service was aloof and inattentive, so if you're one of those people who needs constant refills on coffee (Cam) or water (me), you may be disappointed.

Maybe we should start a Mexican breakfast thread. :biggrin:

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

We gave this a whirl on Sunday. It is a deal, and the food is decent. Not amazing, mind you, but good enough for $7.25, no question. As always at Galerias, the service was aloof and inattentive, so if you're one of those people who needs constant refills on coffee (Cam) or water (me), you may be disappointed.

Maybe we should start a Mexican breakfast thread. :biggrin:

~A

That's pretty much how I feel. It's a different kind of brunch with solid food that's a few blocks from where I live.

I'm all about the Mexican breakfast. You inviting us over? :biggrin:

or we could just commandeer this thread :raz:

the alki cafe has delicious huevos rancheros. actually everything i've had there has been good - and the portions are absurdly huge. it's the kind of place we always take a walk after eating at...fortunately - we're on the beach so it's a nice walk.

there's a little mexican restaurant in the town where snoqualmie falls is (tiny, one street - right next to the train tracks) they make a great huevos rancheros too - though the eggs were a tiny bit undercooked and there was way too much cheese. the beans were great, the tortillas hot, corn and plentiful. a cold coke and i was set.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 1 year later...

A new "diner" - Geraldine's Counter in Columbia City. Not a dive. Some good food - including sweet potato fries, and aioli. No espresso.

El Camino in Fremont serves Sunday brunch - get your mex specials and drinks! Very good, not crowded. Service on the deck too.

A new "diner" - Geraldine's Counter in Columbia City. Not a dive. Some good food - including sweet potato fries, and aioli. No espresso.

I believe that Geraldine's is just open until about 3pm daily. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to the sweet potato fries. When is Lottie Motts going to reopen as "more than a coffee shop?"

Andy's Diner still intrigues me.

--braincell

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com