• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails With Champagne

slkinsey

If you like color, muddle some srtawberrys, raspberrys, blackberrys, whatever is nice and fresh, in a shaker, add some lemon juice (I don't what size glass you are using so i can't really give you exact measurements) the same amount of simple syrup, twice that of gin and then a healthy dose of champers. Good, and good for you.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Thanks GG these look delicious. However, I was wondering why no usage of pear or apple flavors? I was thinking of some dry sparkling wine/champagne, ginger liqueur, pear eau de vie, maybe a little pear juice, with a garnish of orange zest? Not as gorgeous as these but perhaps a bit more seasonal.

Now where can I buy those glasses used for the poinsettia cocktail? :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Well I like to stick to the original (and work from there):

Champagne Cocktail.

(Pint bottle of wine for three goblets.)

(Per glass.)

Take 1 lump of sugar.

1 or 2 dashes Angostura bitters.

1 small lump of ice.

Fill the goblet with wine, stir up with a spoon, and serve with a thin piece of twisted lemon peel. A quart bottle of wine will make six cocktails.

from Jerry Thomas' Bar-Tender's Guide with maybe some Cog. or Brandy though Splifs recipe sounds great.

Thanks to Darcy our very own dsoneil for making this great resource avaible online.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my adaptation of a Russian Spring Punch...

Belladonna

1 shot vodka,

1 shot fresh lemon juice,

1/2 shot sugar syrup,

1/2 shot peach puree,

1/2 shot peach liqueur.

Shake with ice, and then strain into an ice-filled tall glass. Top with sparkling wine.

Garnish with a slice of lemon.

The unimaginative would probably call this something like a Peach Spring Punch.

Cheers!

George S.

High Heels

1 oz. X-Rated Liqueur (it's a passionfruit/blood orange/mango vodka based liqueur)

1 oz. Ruby Red Grapefruit juice

3 oz. Cava

Pour X-rated and juice into champagne flute. Top with Cava. Garnish with a lemon curl.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i've been toying with these proportions for a month now, taking off from a recipe in the babbo book

6 blood oranges are juiced (which generates in the neighbourhood of 1.5 C of juice)

3 oz. grand marnier

2 oz. sweet white vermouth

this usually gets made in the afternoon and then at the cocktail hour 1.5 oz of that mix gets poured into a flute and topped with cava and a dash of orange bitters. the goal is basically to have a tart/sweet drink with discernible brandy and bubbles.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

Glad to see this thread coming back to the top. Looking at my original premise for the thread -- "cocktails made with a mixture of liquors and then lightened with champagne rather than drinks that are fundamentally champagne with stuff added in (Bellinis, etc.)" -- I guess these would all be some kind of "Imperial Daisy." The "Daisy" part signifying that the drink is ligntened with a relatively small anount of carbonated liquid and the "Imperial" part signifying champagne as the carbonated liquid. Or does a Daisy also have to include sour?

--

Or does a Daisy also have to include sour?

Yes. It began its life as a sour with a splash of fizz.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

On a whim, I topped off an Aviation with sparkling wine last night; it makes a great drink. The champagne lightens the maraschino without obliterating it, and you end up with something like a French 75.

• 1 month later...

Usually no fan of cocktails with champange. However we had a bottle and tried the Seelbach from Ted Haig's book

1 1/2 oz bourbon

1/2 oz curaco {I used Luxardo Triplum}

7 dash Peychauds bitters

7 dashes Angastora bitters

pour the above into a flute and top with champange.

Ok. This was real. real good. Could drink these all night.

We also made some French 75's which I really did not care for at all.

• 3 years later...

On a whim, I topped off an Aviation with sparkling wine last night; it makes a great drink. The champagne lightens the maraschino without obliterating it, and you end up with something like a French 75.

I was making a birthday drink for a friend who likes sweet-ish whites, and thought of Janet's idea. I just tried this with a Toad Hollow Risque sparkler, made in France using the methode ancestrale, which apparently results in a lighter, sweeter wine. Then I split into thirds the usual ingredients for an Aviation (with violette), put them at the bottom of three glasses with a Luxardo cherry, and poured the Risque over the top. They got raves, in part because the wine released the violette and maraschino in the nose. I wouldn't recommend that wine for most champagne cocktails, but here it is a good choice.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

There's no way this hasn't been made somewhere before, but I stumbled on this yesterday and it's pretty fierce (albeit more of a summer drink):

2 sprigs mint

1/2 lime, quartered

2 oz. Hendrick's

1 oz. simple (2:1)

1 oz. Green Chartreuse

dash Angostura Bitters

Champagne

Squeeze limes into the bottom of a Collins glass and add mint, syrup and Chartreuse. Bruise the mint with a muddler or barspoon, add gin and stir briefly. Add ice, top with champagne, stir again gently, and serve.

I would name this but I'm certain it exists already. Anyone know what this might be called? A Google search is not turning up anything.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

• 2 years later...

I've been experimenting with Champagne in cocktails lately. I discovered a delicious honey daiquiri variation called the Airmail (see here for more details).

7436671696_9ba75a0bfb_z.jpg

Then last night I had my first Seelbach. I used the recipe from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails.

7444697534_89aafa3382_z.jpg

It is a little like a Manhattan with bubbles - what's not to like? It's smooth and spicy with 7 drops each of Angostura and Peychaud's bitters.

I finished the bottle of Champagne with an Old Cuban (Audrey Saunders). Instead of muddling the mint I just shook the cocktail vigorously.

7458188154_415bebb6b0_z.jpg

What an elegant drink. I guess it's considered a Mojito variant, but I feel it's much more interesting with the use of bitters and the mint playing a more subtle role.

• 2 months later...

Dry champagne and the last of the elderflower concentrate I made a couple of months back, in a 2:1 (volume) ratio. These complement extremely well, really nice balance of tart and sweet, with a surprisingly fresh elderflower scent.

[For the sake of accuracy, I should mention that I used a sparkling wine that is not strictly speaking champagne (i.e. it was created outside the Champagne region); I'm also not certain, is this complex enough to be regarded as a cocktail?]

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Dry champagne and the last of the elderflower concentrate I made a couple of months back, in a 2:1 (volume) ratio. These complement extremely well, really nice balance of tart and sweet, with a surprisingly fresh elderflower scent.

[For the sake of accuracy, I should mention that I used a sparkling wine that is not strictly speaking champagne (i.e. it was created outside the Champagne region); I'm also not certain, is this complex enough to be regarded as a cocktail?]

I think that falls under the category of "Champagne cocktails" (aka "Champagne with stuff added in") rather than "cocktails with Champagne" (cocktails with Champagne as in ingredient), but that sounds delightful nonetheless!

I think that falls under the category of "Champagne cocktails" (aka "Champagne with stuff added in") rather than "cocktails with Champagne" (cocktails with Champagne as in ingredient), but that sounds delightful nonetheless!

Thank you, you are absolutely right, that was the topic I was looking for, then, when I didn't find it (but found this one instead), I figured I was remembering wrong, and jumped the gun (instead of doing a search, because, well, I was actually having a couple more of these while I posted).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 2 months later...

Champagne versions of two classic cocktails the other night as we were working on finishing a half-empty bottle of Cremant brut rosé.

For me, the Famiglia Regale (Sam Ross), which is a Negroni with champagne. It's equal parts gin, sweet vermouth, Campari and champagne; grapefruit twist.

8165720375_6da94537ec_z.jpg

For my husband, a Chicago Cocktail which is a Manhattan with an extra ounce of Champagne plus a dash of orange bitters (I used one dash each of Fee and Regan's).

8165749853_308a0b0369_z.jpg

Also (not pictured), I got a delicious Bee's Knees with Aviation gin topped with champagne last week at the Noble Experiment.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Working on a list for a brand new French themed cocktail bar. Lots of champagne cocktail variations, including several that are mentioned in this thread. Some great ideas here too for off-menu back pocket things to keep handy to surprise folks with...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Working on a list for a brand new French themed cocktail bar. Lots of champagne cocktail variations, including several that are mentioned in this thread. Some great ideas here too for off-menu back pocket things to keep handy to surprise folks with...

I mentioned elsewhere that I like a French 75 with sparkling [hard] cider. I think it would work particularly well with a Normandy-style cider.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

More cocktails with champagne.

I found the Moon Walk (on the left) in Gary Regan's Joy of Mixology. It was created in 1969 by Joe Gilmore from the Savoy and contains champagne, grapefruit juice, Grand Marnier and rose water. Light and delicate but still a solid cocktail.

The Donizetti is from the PDT cocktail book and was created by David Slape. It has champagne, gin, Amaro CioCiaro (I used Picon) and apricot liqueur. I feared that it would be on the sweet side with the apricot liqueur, but it had enough bitterness from the Picon to balance it out. It is more or less an orange version of the French 75.

8171009364_d1213b2915_z.jpg