• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails With Champagne

slkinsey

A few recent cocktails with Champagne.

I made these two for a cocktail party last week: Seelbach on the left (using the ratios from Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails) and an Old Cuban on the right. For the Old Cuban, I like the ratios from the Bartender's Choice app which are slightly tweaked to produce a cocktail that is less sweet.

8562939583_816c42047f_z.jpg

Last night was this mini-punch affair, Crimean Cup à la Marmora. Originally from Jerry Thomas and re-discovered by Ted Haigh. It starts with an oleo-saccharum. I changed the prep a bit, adding the lemon juice before the spirits to help dissolve the sugar. I did not add soda water; instead I decided to shake with ice for dilution before pouring into the flutes and topping with Champagne. I reduced the amount of orgeat from 2 to 1.5 oz. I don't have white Jamaican rum in my arsenal so I just used Flor de Cana.

It's a delicious cocktail that goes down too easily... It's practically a tiki drink with the orgeat, rum and brandy combination.

8575604111_61218f9c76_z.jpg

A Punt e Mes Fizz last night for me with Punt e Mes, sweet vermouth, and Champagne. I got the recipe in the Joy of Mixology and it says that it is "adapated on a recipe by Audrey Saunders". I could not find the original recipe online but I like this one as is.

8578238659_39ce5829a1_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

It looks like the Goddess herself had already posted the recipe for the Punt e Mes Fizz a while back. It looks identical to the JoM version except that the Punt e Mes and sweet vermouth are stirred in JoM and that she is a little more generous with the Champagne (3 oz vs. 1.5 to 2 oz).

Here are two I like. They'd probably work pretty well with a fuller-bodied prosecco.

ChamPino (for Pino, an Italian diplomat):
1 oz. Campari
1 oz. Sweet Vermouth
2 1/2 - 3 oz good quality Champagne
Garnish: Lemon Twist
Glass: chilled martini

Measure campari & sweet vermouth into a mixing glass. Add ice, shake (yes, shake) and strain into a chilled martini glass. Top with champagne. Add lemon twist.

>Punt e Mes Fizz
3/4 oz Punt e Mes
1 1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
3 oz champagne
Garnish: Lemon twist (or orange, if preferred)
Shake punt e mes and sweet vermouth with ice. Strain into a chilled martini glass and top with champagne.

A Punt e Mes Fizz last night for me with Punt e Mes, sweet vermouth, and Champagne. I got the recipe in the Joy of Mixology and it says that it is "adapated on a recipe by Audrey Saunders". I could not find the original recipe online but I like this one as is.

8578238659_39ce5829a1_z.jpg

Along similar lines:

1 oz Cynar

1 oz Punt e Mes

3 oz Champagne

Chilled champagne glass

Garnish: orange twist & Luxardo cherry (drop in glass)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

One of my favorites, though I've never understood why it's called a Negroni Sbagliato when if anything it's an Americano Migliorato. (Or Regale.)

Beautiful pic.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

One of my favorites, though I've never understood why it's called a Negroni Sbagliato when if anything it's an Americano Migliorato. (Or Regale.)

Beautiful pic.

Thanks Rafa! It's a good cocktail for sure. It's funny because I was just reading that the Americano was quite popular in France (one of the top ten most requested cocktails according to a survey I just read), but I don't think that they have been introduced to the Royale version yet. :smile:

Beautiful pic.

Thanks Rafa! It's a good cocktail for sure. It's funny because I was just reading that the Americano was quite popular in France (one of the top ten most requested cocktails according to a survey I just read), but I don't think that they have been introduced to the Royale version yet. :smile:

this I will have to try; I love a Negroni, and love champagne

Beautiful pic.

this I will have to try; I love a Negroni, and love champagne

You might also like Sam Ross' Famiglia Reale, a Negroni with an added ounce of Champagne and a grapefruit twist.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Also re: that linked survey, FrogPrincesse, I admit to not being intimately familiar with the bar culture of France, and I know that Mojitos are very popular in much of Europe right now, but 80% of all cocktails sold in France? Wow.

And Piña Colada at #2? I suppose as a Puerto Rican I should feel some pride in that, but mostly I'm just surprised.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Also re: that linked survey, FrogPrincesse, I admit to not being intimately familiar with the bar culture of France, and I know that Mojitos are very popular in much of Europe right now, but 80% of all cocktails sold in France? Wow.

And Piña Colada at #2? I suppose as a Puerto Rican I should feel some pride in that, but mostly I'm just surprised.

Mojitos are indeed very popular in Europe. I was proud to see the Ti Punch as #10.

The Pina Colada on the other hand was a little odd. Although I have to admit that it is indeed the very first cocktail I have ever attempted. Part of its popularity is probably because rum is widely available and very cheap, pineapple juice and coconut cream are easy to find. I thought for sure the French taste with respect to cocktails must have evolved by now. I guess not that much!

I imagine it's popular too at coastal resorts and other areas catering to tourists and vacationers, as is the case worldwide. Curious: how common is rhum agricole in France? I know France is Martinique's main export market, but I don't know whether AOC rhum is the main kind of rum consumed there.

Moving back on topic, the Airmail is a delicious and balanced Champagne cocktail. I like it in the PDT ratios with Banks 5 Island.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Here's one I made at a party not too long ago that's good for those who like the herbal/thyme-y flavor of Meyer lemon zest. Regular old lemon would probably work well for those who don't.

1 1/4 oz Gin, Tanqueray
1/4 oz Meyer lemon juice
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur, Luxardo
3 oz Champagne
1/4 oz Crème Yvette (float)
2 twst Meyer lemon zest (one shaken, one as garnish)
Shake gin, Meyer lemon juice, Meyer lemon zest, and Maraschino with ice; strain into a chilled Champagne flute with a Meyer lemon spiral at the bottom. Pour Champagne. Float Crème Yvette.
Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Curious: how common is rhum agricole in France? I know France is Martinique's main export market, but I don't know whether AOC rhum is the main kind of rum consumed there.

Rhum agricole is widely available in France, you can buy it at most supermarkets and you would be astounded by the selection (and the low prices)... There are other rums as well but Martinique being an overseas department of France ("DOM"), its rhums are extremely well represented. The AOC is only for Martinique but rhum agricole is also produced in Guadeloupe and Marie-Galante.

It's not necessarily the main kind of rum consumed in France, but it probably represents a good portion.

• 1 month later...

I need to come up with a cocktail using Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label for a small (under 20) group of female lawyers. They want something fun and fruity. Suggestions?

Thanks!