• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

C'mon Alton, Open Up a Little!

I know you've answered the same questions over and over again during book signings and demos. That's got to get tiring. The PR grinder sucks. But you're among friends here. Let your hair down (well, as much as you can, anyway :raz:).

Anyway, on to my question. In a recent eGullet post, Tony Bourdain talked about a book tour/promo moment that really woke him up. After getting all the usual fan questions (that he'd already answered a hundered times in a dozen different cities), somebody asked, "Dude, can you actually COOK?" :laugh: He said it was a really refreshing question.

What's the most honest, refreshing question you've gotten in your travels, interviews, etc.? How did you answer?

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Hmm... Good question. I always feel a little sheepish when people ask me if I cook at home. I usually say "some" but truth is, my wife does most of the cooking because the spawn's gotta have meal time by 7 or so and most of the time I can't (or don't) get home in time to answer the call to duty. Luckily the Mrs. is a pretty good cook and is completely unintimidated by being married to a quasi food celebrity.