• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Albuquerque

To :

misstenacity

ludja

You're great!!!

Appreciate both your input. They were unbelievably informative. Some of the restaurant reviews and suggestions rock. Will be leaving for Alburquerque in a couple of days and God, can't wait to treat myself to tons and tons of great New Mexico *Christmas* chiles!!!

To :

Appreciate both your input. They were unbelievably informative.  Some of the restaurant reviews and suggestions rock. Will be leaving for Alburquerque in a couple of days and God, can't wait to treat myself to tons and tons of great New Mexico *Christmas* chiles!!!

Have fun, and if you have a chance, report back and share your impressions. :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 1 month later...

GREETINGS TO ALL ESPECIALLY TO THE MOST HELPFUL

* misstenacity

* ludja

Reporting Good Eats and Not-So-Good-Eats

GOOD EATS

Gold Street Cafe - As many said, the thick-cut chile bacon is out of this world. I tried the BLT, as I was too late for breakfast. Coffee was great, but service was problematical.

Duran's Pharmacy - Outstanding. I had green chile and ham breakfast burrito. Generous portion, wonderful flavors, excellent service, clean and homey.

NOT-SO-GOOD-EATS

Bangkok Cafe - I only sampled 2 dishes: shrimp sate with the so-called peanut sauce, and combo fried rice. The shrimp was dipped in thick, overly-salty soy sauce and the peanut sauce was nothing but a bland concoction of sweet chile sauce topped with ground peanuts. For a full-blooded Malaysian foodie like me, this is what I would call "cheating cheating cheating." As for the combo fried rice, I ordered it with moderate heat. The rice had absolutely no heat and had been over-cooked to where the rice was so soft and mushy. I could not distinguish individual grains. Since it was so tasteless, I asked the waitress for some hot chile sauce, and all I got was the same sweet chile dipping sauce for the shrimp sate except that this time, there were no ground peanuts but it had millions of red chile flakes floating on top of the sauce!

While no restaurant should be judged by only two dishes, I assumed that the many people who complimented the restaurant may have been unfamiliar with authentic Thai cuisine.

Frontier Restaurant - The tortillas used in the breakfast burrito were the best, for they were soft and fluffy! However, the green chile cheeseburger was mediocre at best.

Additional Suggestions

For an excellent green chile cheeseburger, try the Horseman's Haven in Santa Fe. The meat is thick and of high quality and the green chile is hot, very flavorful and out-of-this-world!

Guadalajara Grill in Santa Fe - Keep driving up the mountain to the Taos location of this restaurant. The food is anytime better tasting and much fresher at the higher altitude location. Service is friendly. The pork chimichanga we had had pico de gallo and cheese inside and we topped it with the zesty-tasting salsa. Food at the Santa Fe location is just a pale shadow compared to the Taos location.