• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding a niche

Hi Alton,

First, very disappointed not to see you at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival, I was looking forward to the opportunity to meet you.

Love your show - very creative and I can definately see how you've pulled a couple of different backgrounds into a career in culinary.

I was just wondering if you'd have any advice for someone who's trying to break into this industry but doesn't want to be a chef? I'm just finishing my master's in public relations and marketing but don't want to do P.R. per se. I'm working in a wine and cheese shop now selling cheeses which I love but doesn't pay very well. Everyone else in this field seems to have a culinary background and I don't know if it's worth going back to school or if I could make it without the culinary degree. I'm having a bit of trouble thinking outside the box. Any suggestions? Books you can suggest? People I could talk to???

Thanks and keep up the great show!!!

Laura

Laura Langlois-Zurro

http://movingtoargentina.typepad.com/

"People who know nothing about cheeses reel away from Camembert, Roquefort, and Stilton because the plebeian proboscis is not equipped to differentiate between the sordid and the sublime."

Harvey Day

Laura,

If you really don’t like PR I’m perplexed at why you spent all these years getting a masters in it. So, I’d say get a job at a PR firm that specializes in the food industry…amass a bunch of contacts, learn everything you can about food and go from there. Do not use your love of the subject to avoid your own career. Use that masters degree! You earned it, you paid for it, don’t waste it. You do not need more schooling gosh darn it. Heck if I’d had a masters in anything I’d be better off than I am now.

A