• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Young children and food

Hi Alton, thanks so much for taking the time to talk to the eGulleters.

Springboarding off of an earlier question about a cooking show for kids ages 11-15, how old were you when you started cooking? When- and how- do you think it's appropriate to start involving kids in the kitchen? I don't think I'll be handing our 1 year old the keys to the cuisinart any time soon, but just as we're introducing him to a wide array of cuisines and food, we want to introduce him to the thrill of cooking.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Very good question. Wait...Cuisinarts have keys?

Actually, my 4 year old is into baking...which doesn't require the Cuisinart or any sharp things. She started getting interested when she was 2 and we've always cultivated that interest. She dumps, she stirs, and she really likes eating batter. My wife and I really believe in cooking with the kid...I think that in the end it will also make her a better eater, though i have to admit that's a bit of a sore point right now...we've got a food terrorist on our hands.