• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food History

Dear Mr Brown, First of all, you are fab and your show is fab and your books are fab!!!

I recently lost a beloved recipe for ITALIAN CREAM CAKE, and in the process of looking for another one that is similar, I have become obsessed with discovering the origins of this southern staple. I suspect it is about as italian as GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE is german, which is not at all. I have also discovered that I am thoroughly enjoying reading about food history. Can you recommend a good source (website, book, email address etc...) for food history and origins of recipes?

Also, do you have a fave food writer?

xo

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

There are so many books on the subject that it's tough to choose but I'd have to say my favorites are:

The Food Chronology (Trager)

The Dictionary of American Food And Drink (Mariani)

Rare Bits (Stevens)

Good luck with the Cream Cake.

A