• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baltimore Downtown/Inner Harbor/Aquarium/CvCenter

I will be there on business next week and have an open night. Any interesting restaurants worth referencing? Not looking for formal ones, but rather real, honest, consistent cuisine. Ethnic is OK. Thank you.

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

Rather than sticking to the franchised wasteland that is the Inner Harbor development, see the previous threads on Baltimore eating...

"Eats" around downtown Baltimore.

Baltimore dining on someone else's dime (or nickel as the case may be).

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

This brought back real good memories of when we lived in Delaware and often went to Baltimore, mostly for baseball games or the Inner Harbor. There was a real good sushi place, but I can't remember the name. Not right on the water, but Brewer's Art was wonderful. A short cab drive or even a walk away, if you're full of energy, is Fell's Point. Eat Bertha's Mussels!!! That is a do-not-miss, in my opinion. Little Italy which is closeby is good, also. It was fun to go up to Windows, at the Renaissance. I would say stay away from Phillips... they don't always serve fresh seafood. The only problem in my recommendations is that I'm not sure what is still there. If I recall some others, I'll post again. Have fun, and please report back!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Based on your request in the original post, I would say The Helmand would be the perfect fit. As long as you're not insistant on decent wine with your meal. Otherwise it is one of the top "foodie" spots in town.

I haven't been to Mama's on the Half Shell, but second hand reports that I've heard have been positive.

Despite Susan in FL's enthusiastic, if out-dated, suggestions, I beg you to not "eat Bertha's mussels" at all cost. There are a number of places in town to eat good mussels, but Bertha's is no longer one of them. And it would best to avoid Little Italy as well.

The links that hannah listed earlier have the goods. Good Luck.

So sorry to hear that Bertha's is no longer one of the places to eat good mussels. :sad: Sounds like the area has changed. My apologies for the out-dated recommendations!

Thank goodness Brewer's Art is still good.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thank you all. I should have mentioned that we wanted "foodie" stuff, after being locked in a hotel for 2 days...Now the choice will be between Afghan lamb or Mama's crab cakes...I guess it will depend if we will have had a decent crab cake before!

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

If you go to the Helmand, which is great, walk 4-5 blocks north for a beer or two at

Brewer's Art. If you like beer, that is. Last time I had it, their food was good too.

A great suggestion. Make sure you get your reservations with the Helmand soon.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Thank you all. I should have mentioned that we wanted "foodie" stuff, after being locked in a hotel for 2 days...Now the choice will be between Afghan lamb or Mama's crab cakes...I guess it will depend if we will have had a decent crab cake before!

If you get a chance, have a crabcake for lunch at Lexington Market at Faidley's. Best I've ever had. They close at 5pm, I believe.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

If you go to the Helmand, which is great, walk 4-5 blocks north for a beer or two at

Brewer's Art. If you like beer, that is. Last time I had it, their food was good too.

A great suggestion. Make sure you get your reservations with the Helmand soon.

And if you can't get in at Helmand, you can always eat at Brewer's Art. I had a great dinner there. It was a little uneven, but included one of the best lamb chops I've ever eaten. Great foie gras, too.

• 3 months later...

in " BALHMER" I always enjoy CORKS, @1026 So Charles, tel # 410-752-3810. Chef owner Jerry Pelligrino has built this lovely little place from scratch. Good variety on the menu, and a wine list where everything is marked up just $11. over cost. Hard to find a table without at least one bottle on it. He is an Officer in La Chaine des Rotiesseurs and hosts the local "Wine Brats" chapter. This is a "don't miss" place.

Ted Task

Here are a few of my favorites reasonably close to downtown. Don't know exactly what you have in mind, but here goes.

Soigne on Fort Avenue, in South Baltimore, is very good. Fusion done right in a lovely little space.

The Brewer's Art on N. Charles Street in Mt. Vernon. Fantastic house brewed beers and good food in a gorgeous old townhouse.

You can take the water taxi over to Fells Point and check out Peter's Inn or Henninger's. Peter's is very casual, Henninger's is also casual but a bit less so than Peter's. Both are bars. Henninger's has a separate dining room, Peter's doesn't. Both are good, fun choices.

• 4 months later...

Hello! Us Philly kids are taking a little trip to the aquarium this weekend and it's our first time there. Any affordable dining suggestions for us?

Thanks!

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

There are a TON of place within walking distance! The aquarium is right next to Harbor Place. Clickhere for a list of restaurants there. Among that list, the bigger sit-down ones are Califonia Pizza Kitchen, Capitol City Brewing Company, Cheesecake Factory, City Lights, J. Pauls, Paolo's, Phillips Seafood, Wayne's Bar-B-Que, and Pizzeria Uno. There is also a big eatery section IN Harbor Place. On the other side of the aquarium there is an ESPN Zone and a Hardrock Cafe right there as well and Little Italy is a very short drive away.

What type of food were you looking for?

Edited by mhberk (log)

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

I don’t know if you are looking for lunch or dinner, casual or deluxe, but in any case, my suggestion would be to get out of the immediate Inner Harbor area.

You could head to the Harbor East area and check out Pazo, the current fav of nearly everyone. If you are in town on a weekend evening though, be prepared for huge crowds and a long wait. If you get there early (they open at 5) it would be a good bet. Mediterranean tapas, great wine list, nice cocktails.

South of the Inner Harbor, in Federal Hill, I like Vespa, casual Italian with great wine service, SoBo Café, a neighborhood place with updated comfort food. Thai Arroy is nice and BYOB. If you are there during the day, the Cross Street Market can be a fun spot for drinking and eating steamed shrimp and raw oysters. More upscale (and fairly expensive) dinner suggestions in the area are Soigne and Corks.

In Mt. Vernon, the Brewer’s Art is a great choice for drinks and dinner. Dukem II for dirt cheap Ethiopian. Thai Landing for Thai. The Helmand for Afghan.

These are a few of my favorite inexpensive choices. I’ll be happy to expand the list of you have some specific preferences. Enjoy your visit.