• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Butcher Shop in New Jersey

RO94

I was reading a discussion on NY board and started wondering if there was a particular butcher that any of you would recommend.  I recently moved to Union County (on the border with Somerset) and I have found two close to where I live:

The first is New Providence - Barth's Pork Store.  Pretty good selection of pork & beef.  I love to grill and have been pretty happy with their cuts.

The second I found was John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains.  Again, very good cuts of beef.  I will say that the last time I was there I asked for 2 inch thich sh*ll steaks and it was ridiculously priced.

Here is there site:

http://www.johnsmarket.com/

My favorite so far is located in Bergen County.  I love the meat at "The Market Basket" in Franklin Lakes.  The butchers really know there stuff and the meat is always excellent.  Only prime cuts.

Any opinions??

The Market basket recently went through a major renovation.  It is quite large now.  The one I am referring to is located on Franklin Lake Road right by the circle.

I know there is an "original" Market Basket but I believe that one is located in Wyckoff but am not positive.  The "original" one is quite small.

We have never had a problem with any of our orders for meat.  We usually make large meat and fish orders during the holidays.

Definitely worth the trip.

Quote: from RO94 on 2:38 pm on Jan. 14, 2002

The Market basket recently went through a major renovation.  It is quite large now.  ...

I know there is an "original" Market Basket but I believe that one is located in Wyckoff but am not positive.  The "original" one is quite small.

yup, i went to the original.  i'll try to find the other (gotta find franklin lakes first i suppose!)

First, I think the beef at John's in Scotch Plains merits a few more words. They have prime, dry-aged (yes, dry-aged) beef. At about ผ per pound for a NY Strip Steak, not a bad deal, at all, imo (and delicious).

On a totally different note, I like Fritz's, which is in Union, near Elizabeth at 550 North Avenue (around the corner from Kean). It is German / Austrian. There are some very nice sausages and hams, as well as very good strudel and prune dumplings (sometimes, apricot dumplings, too). I particularly like a sausage called Cabanossi. All in all, a good find.

Thanks, Rosie.

This group seems to have a great job of finding the places I like, such as Wondee's (by the way, has anyone mentioned that there is a very good Thai / Indonesian grocery just down the block from Wondees in Hackensack?)

I had to think for a while to come up with a place that is off the beaten track and worthwhile, and I came up with Five Burro Tacos in North Bergen. It's a hole in the wall, with a couple of stools, but they make good, authentic (Mexican, not Tex-Mex) tacos. The owner is actually a CIA grad, who used to work in NYC and opened this place with some Mexican colleagues.

On another note, I met a Portuguese man who has lived here for a while who recommended the following restaurants in Newark (I haven't tried them yet):

Seabra's Marisqueira (this is the only one I had heard of)

Sol Mar Vila Nova

Taste of Portugal

Fernandez Steakhouse

Pulaski BBQ (for grilled chicken and ribs)

Anyone familiar with any of these?

Hi, Jason. Guilt about posting somewhere other than you-know-where.....

I realize I drifted from the original thread topic in my last post. Should I just repost the restaurant piece as a new thread?

Nah. Topic Drifting is fashionable here. Our software doesnt crash your system when you do that on this site :)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Quote: from jsibley on 9:19 pm on Jan. 14, 2002

by the way, has anyone mentioned that there is a very good Thai / Indonesian grocery just down the block from Wondees in Hackensack?)

there is one, probably the one you're talking about, about 2 doors down from Wondee's.  it is indeed a great little place, filled with hard-to-find products.

I like Seabra's Marisqueira a lot, especially when I can sit at the bar - the locals tend to eat at the bar or at the tables in the bar area, and it's a more lively scene than in the back room. Either way, the fish is very good, they have decent bottles of inexpensive Portugese wine, and the staff are accomodating.