• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shavuot

pleasure!

So here is the dessert I chose:

Cheese Cake with whirls of Silan (100% natural date honey) and Tehina

Use a cake pan that the bottom can be separated from the top. So the cake remains onthe bottom base. I don't know what they are called- with a diameter of 24cm.

Base of cake:

150 gr Petit Beurre biscuits. If you don't get these then graham crackers or similar biscuit for base would be fine. Grind in a food processorto make it into a fine crumbly consistency.

100 gr melted butter

Tehina and Silan filling

2 Tbl Silan

2 Tbl unseasoned Tehina

Cheese Filling

225 gr cream cheese 30% fat natural flavour

200 gr 15% cream. If you don't get different percentages I am sure half and hlaf is fine

200gr (1 cup) sugar

4 beaten eggs

Method:

Prepare the base: Mix the biscuit crumbs withthe meltedbutter to a homogeneous consistency. Place on the base of the baking tin that is covered with baking paper. Flatten down till hard and all together. Keep in freezer.

Preheat oven to 160C. Place a pan of boiling water on the oven's bottom in order to develop a moist environment.

Mix the Silan and Tehina in a bowl until the consistency is smooth and homogeneous.

Mix all cheese filling ingredients together in a bowl. If there are lumps of cheese,wait10 minutes and mix again. The cheese softens at room temp.

Pour the cheese filling onto the biscuit base. Spoon puddles of the Silan mixture on top of the cheese filling and with a knife make marble looking swirls very gently.

Cover very well with silver foil.

Bake for between an hour and a half to 2 hours, until the cake is firm on the sides and yet still wobbly in the center. Turn off the oven, open the oven door slightly and leave the cake in the oven for another hour. Place in fridge overnight.

Just to follow up and complete the circle I took some pictures and want to make some comments.

1. The pear juice must be squeezed out very well. I had difficulty with this and so I made them more like pancakes than like patties. But everyone really loved them so all's well that ends well. The cake needs to be in the oven 2 hours I think as the center was still wobbly the following morning!

gallery_53591_4944_4402.jpg

Quinoa salad:

gallery_53591_4944_146439.jpg

up close to see the colors of the quinoa

gallery_53591_4944_502925.jpg

quiche

gallery_53591_4944_9882.jpg

cheesecake

gallery_53591_4944_206833.jpg

patties

gallery_53591_4944_129098.jpg

pleasure!

So here is the dessert I chose:

Cheese Cake with whirls of Silan (100% natural date honey) and Tehina

Use a cake pan that the bottom can be separated from the top. So the cake remains onthe bottom base. I don't know what they are called- with a diameter of 24cm.

Base of cake:

150 gr Petit Beurre biscuits. If you don't get these then graham crackers or similar biscuit for base would be fine. Grind in a food processorto make it into a fine crumbly consistency.

100 gr melted butter

Tehina and Silan filling

2 Tbl Silan

2 Tbl unseasoned Tehina

Cheese Filling

225 gr cream cheese 30% fat natural flavour

200 gr 15% cream. If you don't get different percentages I am sure half and hlaf is fine

200gr (1 cup) sugar

4 beaten eggs

Method:

Prepare the base: Mix the biscuit crumbs withthe meltedbutter to a homogeneous consistency. Place on the base of the baking tin that is covered with  baking paper.  Flatten down till hard and all together. Keep in freezer.

Preheat oven to 160C. Place a pan of boiling water on the oven's bottom in order to develop a moist environment.

Mix the Silan and Tehina in a bowl until the consistency is smooth and homogeneous.

Mix all cheese filling ingredients together in a bowl. If there are lumps of cheese,wait10 minutes and mix again. The cheese softens at room temp.

Pour the cheese filling onto the biscuit base. Spoon puddles of the Silan mixture on top of the cheese filling and with a knife make marble looking swirls very gently.

Cover very well with silver foil.

Bake for between an hour and a half to 2 hours, until the cake is firm on the sides and yet still wobbly in the center. Turn off the oven,  open the oven door slightly and leave the cake in the oven for another hour. Place in fridge overnight.

Please note a mistake- I am soooo sorry:

Cheesecake:

That would be:

225 x2 gr cream cheese 30% fat natural flavour

200 gr x2 15% cream. If you don't get different percentages I am sure half and half is fine.

Here each container is 225 and 200 respectively- I forgot to say it was 2 containers so those amounts should be doubled. Hope no one had a flop. Awfully sorry!

Edited by Lior (log)