• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ever "done time" on "the line?"

First I have to say how much I enjoy your program. Its one of only a handful that are worth watching on FoodTV. Not only is it truely funny, but its actually informative as well. For example,there was one episode that was all to do with corn and one bit of info you gave was to never put salt in the water when cooking corn on the cob. Well I've been "in the biz" shall we say for many a year, done the culinary school thing too, and never absorbed that "kernel" of wisdom.Who knew?............anyway... my question is Have you ever worked as a chef/cook in a professional kitchen? You know.. slammed with orders, sweating profusely, cursing the wait staff?

Cindy from Vancouver

Yes, I've done my time on the line...mostly the grill and saute station, though I'm no stranger to the cold side. I've done a fair amount of catering too.

By the way, I don't believe anyone should be allowed to review restaurants for a living without having worked the line on a Saturday night. One must truly know the weeds to understand what it's all about. I'm fond of saying that nothing will knock the love of cooking out of you like 400 covers.