• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Perryville - Perryville Inn

Rail Paul

had dinner Saturday at the Perryville Inn (I-78 x12 in Hunterdon County). Party of 40 for a birthday. The restaurant did a fine job of delivering orders quickly and keeping them hot.

Very pleasant, colonial inn just off the Jutland interchange. Careful, competent service, filet mignon was done perfectly, Dee's chicken in wine sauce was very nicely done. I perused the menu while waiting later, most entrees appeared to be in the ฟ-ษ range. Very affluent looking iron in the parking lot.

Active bar scene by midnight, small bar, lots of people.

Will definitely put this on the list of places to revisit.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Why is it that a really excellent, warm, comfortable restaurant with terrific food and an extraordinarily professional staff is so hard to find these days? Last night was my first visit to the Perryville Inn, Exit 12 in Jutland. What a great place. Really interesting menu, and the specials included lobster and a trio of filet, lamb chop and ostrich. Best foie gras I've had in ages as a starter. One drink served shaken not stirred was replaced instantly with good humor and no fuss whatsoever. Waitress (Melissa) was friendly and obviously very interested, and she knew the menu and preparations cold, even to exactly where the hazelnuts appeared in one special dessert. Support service, especially the bar waitress, was just as crisp, well turned out, helpful. Maitre 'd was a little formal until we thanked him when leaving, when he was genuinely pleased. Bartender very professional and also very friendly. This was a Tuesday, but 3/4 full or so, and they made it all look effortless. What a terrific evening.

Anyone who trains their waitstaff this well, and presents their terrific food in such a pretty and efficient way, deserves every patron they attract, and it's a nice drive out from NY on 78. Another plus for this terrific place is a very comfortable lounge where the smokers (not us) can have a drink before or after dinner without feeling guilty. I suspect it's very busy on weekends, as it should be. Tuesday's the day for us when we return, which will be soon.

• 5 months later...

Have been a few times, recently, for lunch. Paul put together a five course tasting menu for me and few co-workers from Beringer Blass Wine Estates about a month ago.

Quite wonderful.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

• 2 months later...

We recently tried the three course/two glasses of wine. "Fall Festival of Food & Wine" dinner at The Perryville Inn, 113 Perryville Rd, Perryville which is offered Tuesday through Thursday from 5 to 7 PM for $38. There were a variety of choices on this special menu. We enjoyed the entrees much more than the appetizers. I certainly would return to this restaurant again.

For appetizers we had a classic seven onion soup with parmesan pastry twist. It was served lukewarm and we didn’t care for the broth. The salmon was sliced too thick in the house cured salmon gravlax with crisp vegetable salad and wasabi crème fraiche. The vegetable salad was similar to cole slaw. The wines we choose were a Pinot Grigio, Prima Terra Italy 2003 and a White Rioja, Marques de Caceres, Spain 2003.

Our entrees were an excellent lamb shank with roasted vegetables and goat cheese mashed potatoes and my favorite dish of the evening which was an outstanding sautéed monkfish with parma prosciutto surrounded by linguine tossed in a lemon sage butter sauce. The wines for our entrees were Pinot Noir, Laboure Roi, France 2002 and Shiraz, Austin Vale, South Eastern Australia 2001.

Desserts were a too hot to eat apple crumble and an unset lemon tart. For reservations call 908-730-9500.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE