• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taquerias in North Jersey?

Oddly enough, it took moving to South Bend Indiana to get me hooked on taquerias. Yes, believe it or not there is a large Hispanic population there that supports quite a few taquerias and carnecerias. And they're all pretty good. So I'm really hoping to find a good one or two when I arrive in NJ.

Any suggestions.....?

-David

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

There are numerous ones in Passaic, its become something of a Mexican enclave.

In Bergenfield both La Batalla and Mi Pueblo are very good. El Paso is very tiny and relatively new but they make mean Tamales and Tortas in addition to their very good tacos.

In Bogota, there is El Gran Mexicano and you should also look at our

North Jersey Mexican thread.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Try the Brenda Lee Taqueria at 76 Market St. in Passaic. It does lots of business so the food is always fresh, the tortillas are handmade, and they have a half-dozen or more kinds of soft tacos. Plus, there is a great jukebox there.

Thanks everybody!! Sounds like I've got some great options. It's so nice to be moving back to a part of the country that has such a plethora of food options. Now I just have to figure out where the hell all those towns are :shock:

Bring a NJ map to the pig roast and we'll circle the towns!

I'm playing Mr. Mom this summer, so I'm sure I'll have some time to sit with a map and figure out my way. And what better way to learn the area than by going on food-hunt adventures with my son. :biggrin: Granted, he's only 7 months old so the fine nuance of the Torta de Barbacoa might be lost on him....

Besides, I'm not sure I want to wait until September to find the good stuff.

Thanks!

It might help if we knew what town you are in David

I'm going to be in Hawthorne, at the Wycoff end of town. The nice thing that I've found while driving around the area is that it seems like you can be anywhere in 20 minutes.

Hawthorne is a mere 7 miles from Passaic. They are, in fact, both in Passaic County.

So you can report back to us on the taquerias there, since most of our forum reporting on NJ taquerias has been in Bergen County.

Although, actually, I just looked it up. Bergen County town Bergenfield--which Jason has given you some hints about--is only 9 miles from Hawthorne.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

It takes longer for me to start my car in the morning than it does to drive across the county line into Bergen from our apartment, so I'm sure I'll be getting to all the places you mentioned, regardless of the county. And like I said, I'll have some free time on my hands this summer. But I will certainly post what I find.

Edited by chefdavidrusso (log)