• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Schools

Hi Alton,

Long time fan from Indiana here. I am 35 and I am contemplating a career change. Do you think that it is too late to go to cooking school? I've always loved food and cooking. I am very motivated and willing to work the long hours. Do you think it would be advisable to chase this new career or stick to my original *boring* plan of going to law school?

Thanks!

Mel

:wub:

I went to culinary school at 34 and it didn't kill me. Still, law school...hmmm. I think that I'd have to see the rest of your resume to say. The food game is darned tough and that's if you're independently wealthy. If you've been doing something else that you can combine with food (as I did) then you've got a better chance of rising above the pack.