• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What school has a good baking/pastry program?

Mr. Brown, first off, your show is great. My family and I watch it whenever we get the chance. I am a senior in high school and I want to be a pastry chef. We had some representatives from NECI come to our culinary class. They had mentioned that you had graduated from there. I was wondering if there are any good schools besides that one. And although I am visiting NECI this summer for a tour, I would like to stay close to home (the midwest). Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Well, NECI is certainly good but so are Johnson & Wales and the CIA. I've heard that theres a darned fine scool in Chicago but I don't know about their baking program...or even the name of the school, but I'll ask around and get back to you.

A