• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best wings in NJ?

Pete Guy

My friends and I are huge wing fans and this has been an ongoing discussion for quite some time now. For my money, it's Cluck-U in Jersey City. There are other locations, such as the Rutgers campus in New Brunswick, but Jersey City seems to be the best. Others claim that Hooters, Bazookas, and even the wings at the Outback take the prize. They don't seem to meaure up to the size, texture, and wing sauce of Cluck-U in my opinion. I'd highly recommend them to anyone who hasn't tried them. They even have a sauce called nuclear fusion, which has made grown men cry (myself included). Any other ideas? I'd love to try some new places.

Cluck U is definitely a great wings place (I've been to the Morristown one) -- I've had their top level sauce ("global") and its pretty insane. However I really dig their chicken sandwiches -- their "little roman" with the parmesan cheese sauce is great. Messy though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I nominate Kinanra, in Edgewater, for best wings. Their Hariyali Kebab are basically wings, coated with fresh mint, cilantro and chili oil and pan seared along with onions and peppers.  The wings are a bit puny, but the "sauce"/coating is so different, its a worthwhile endevour for the curious.

For traditional wings, Pluck U is okay--although the one by City Hall in NY isn't nearly as good as the one in Morristown.  Hooters' wings are good as well--but they are served in a very inconsistent manner (sometimes absolutely dry without enough sauce and sometimes SOAKED in sauce to the point where the wings are soggy).

I wonder... have any major restaurants/chefs tried to conquer Chicken Wings, or have they permanently ceeded this item to fast food?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've seen Pluck U in the city and it is definitely NOT the same company as Cluck-U (I think it's a knock-off). I've also had Thai style wings, which were pretty good, at the Lemongrass Grill, but I don't think that qualifies as a major restaurant. I've seen Kinara mentioned a couple of other times on the board, sounds like a place to check into.

Yeah I totally forgot about Kinara's Heriyali Kebab. Man if only I could figure out how to make those at home.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Quote: from Pete Guy on 2:29 pm on Oct. 25, 2001

I've seen Pluck U in the city and it is definitely NOT the same company as Cluck-U (I think it's a knock-off).

You got me!  I didn't even notice that one was "Pluck" and the other "Cluck".  Gee I feel like a Schmuck. :)

Actually, they are both playing off the very human tendency to associate things that sound like each other.  I'm not sure why an association with a questionable phrase people say to each other when they are angry sells chicken, but apparently it does.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

For my money the best wings I know of are served at Memphis Pigout in Atlantic Highlands.

Go figure, they also serve the best New England Clam Chowder in the area...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, i'm so grateful to find eGullet.

By your recommendation, yesterday i drove to Cluck-U( Eatontown) to get take-out. It was a mistake to have

my dog and wings in the same car: the dog got insane.

The other mistake was to warm the wings in microwave:

when my husband finally came from work, they were cold, so i put them in micro, and they got soggy. I should

put them in the oven, or maybe under the broiler. Or even better, Cluck-U offers delivery, so i'll order it tonight.

• 1 year later...
For my money the best wings I know of are served at Memphis Pigout in Atlantic Highlands.<p>Go figure, they also serve the best New England Clam Chowder in the area...

Some of the best clam chowder. Ray's in Long Branch and Klein's in Belmar are in fierce competition.

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

For my money the best wings I know of are served at Memphis Pigout in Atlantic Highlands.<p>Go figure, they also serve the best New England Clam Chowder in the area...

Some of the best clam chowder. Ray's in Long Branch and Klein's in Belmar are in fierce competition.

still ignoring. :biggrin::wink:

Fink's Funky Chicken and Ribs makes damnned good wings and his Screamin Chicken sauce is pure evil.

Theres also a new Wings/Pizza/Deli place in Bergenfield right by the interesection of Clinton and Washington Ave thats pretty good. I recently had their "hot" wings (three levels below the hottest) and it nearly blew my head off, I think because they were done in a dry style. They have about 4 different types of sauces as well as the traditional wings glaze in various heat levels. They also have like 60 dfferent types of specialty sandwiches on their menu.

I feel Cluck U is the best locale for Wings in New Jersey.  Their chicken sandwiches are also very good.

Both can be extremely messy.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Yeah, theres one sandwich called the Little Roman which I really like, which has a garlic/parmesan sauce on it.

EDIOT: I said this earlier in the thread, I think I am getting Alzheimers.

still ignoring. :biggrin::wink:

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!

When will it end? :sad::huh::sad:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Mr. Cluck U is my neighbor. He was the original owner of the New Brunswick store, and then established the franchise. He is very involved with all of his franchisees, including financing, suppliers, quality control. staffing...its a great franchise. And the premise: start in college areas, make a name for yourself, and spread out from there, show that his marketing skills are as strong as his "wing" skills.

Cool to see this thread revived. I have been trying to nail down Cluck-U's sauce at home. There's something in there I can't quite nail, like a molasses type flavor. Anyone make this type at home or have any ideas on what's in the sauce? Thanks.

AKA Pete Guy

I really like Jimmy Geez's wings on Belmont Ave. in Haledon. They are larger than average (more meat per wing), they have 3 different heat levels although I've only had medium. They are deep fried with no breading which is something I really like. Nice crispy, delicious skin. Then they sprinkle them with parmesan cheese which is a great touch that I haven't seen anywhere else. Served with a generous portion of celery, carrot sticks and peppery blue cheese dressing.

They have some newspaper articles on the wall where they are reviewed. Under the previous owner (when the place was called TJ's) a publication (can't remember which) named them the best wings in Jersey. I don't think they changed the recipe at all.