• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chianti Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

gruyere

Both Greve and Panzano have Bancomats.

The limit on most ATM's is 250 Euro a day.. at the Banco di Toscano I can get 500 euro, I think it is the only one .

Try to have your limit raised if you need more cash, or bring several cards.

Always let your bank know you will be travelling..

Bancomat is what you want, they're everywhere. Just got back to Paris from Tuscany today and there are ATMs everywhere. If you don't see a Bancomat sign look for a slightly stylized 3, that seems to be the symbol for the most prolific bank in the region and their ATMs have an English language option for added ease.

They're everywhere.

Occasionally an ATM (anywhere, not just Italy) will retain a card, particularly if you've made several unsuccessful attempts. If you're concerned about the possibility, make a point of using an ATM that's attached directly to a bank, during working hours (heh heh, just try figuring out when an Italian bank is actually open---one of the reasons ATM's are so wildly popular is that Italian banks are generally very inefficient) so that your card can be retrieved immediately if it's retained.

Also note that the schedule on which you can withdraw money may be affected by both the Italian banking "day" and the U.S. banking "day" (for which you'll have to consider the time difference), such that you may get the message "invalid for international withdrawals" if you try and withdraw too much within whatever the relevant time period is. I don't know why this is the error message that shows up (because of course the card is valid), but I've had it happen in more than one town and on more than once occasion while travelling in Italy.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I just returned from Italy, including 5 days in Greve, Montalcino, etc. No problems with any Bancomats there.

Heed the advice of people here in avoiding traveller's cheques. My Dad didn't listen to me and he brought some. They were virtually useless the entire trip and he ended up withdrawing from Bancomats just like I did.

No problems finding a Bancomat in the larger towns, although you may have to go to the next town if you're visiting a tiny village.

There is a Banco di Toscana ATM machine directly across from the street from the Farmacia on the SS 222 in Greve. That's at the stop light that leads you into the piazza. If that one isn't working, there is another one about a block down the SS 222 heading towards Panzano on the same side of the street. It's just inside the front door of the bank (whose name I can't recall.)

In Panzano, the Banca di Toscana machine is on the piazza on the same side of the square as the Enoteca (which is a decent place for lunch and a glass of vino rosso) and the art store called "Artemesia."

It's been my experience that it's fairly easy to find ATMs throughout Italy.

kyleb

Once upon a time I was advised when going to Europe to make sure my ATM code was four characters, so I changed it. I don't know if more than that is actually a problem but in Italy and France I've never ever had a problem. Never had a card retained or anything like that either...

And like somone said earlier in the thread, they're all over.

• 1 year later...

Planning my honeymoon through Italy this summer, and have of course been using eGullet to plan my "restaurant schedule." Yes, it is all laid out on a spreadsheet, and yes I will NOT be showing said spreadsheet to my bride. She already scoffs at the level of my food-nerdiness.

However, I could use a specific recommendation for a Castellina in Chianti restaurant. We are staying two nights at the agriturismo Collelungo, and I am planning on at least one night where we get drunk on their wine, stagger into Castellina in Chianti, and have a great meal with more wine. Needless to say I will be leaving the car in the parking lot that night.

Anyone?

Planning my honeymoon through Italy this summer, and have of course been using eGullet to plan my "restaurant schedule." Yes, it is all laid out on a spreadsheet, and yes I will NOT be showing said spreadsheet to my bride. She already scoffs at the level of my food-nerdiness.

However, I could use a specific recommendation for a Castellina in Chianti restaurant. We are staying two nights at the agriturismo Collelungo, and I am planning on at least one night where we get drunk on their wine, stagger into Castellina in Chianti, and have a great meal with more wine. Needless to say I will be leaving the car in the parking lot that night.

Anyone?

You'll be staggering for a good half hour on the road from Collelungo to Castellina. That's how long it'll take you by foot.

I have lived in Tuscany for over 22 years...

I would suggest NOT walking home in the dark.... drunk.... after a dinner in Castellina or it may be your last dinner.

Really.. becareful, the road are not lit, people drive really fast..and they may also have been drinking and there is no space for people walking on the side of the orad ( of people biking)

really if you want to enjoy a late night... stay in town!

PLEASE!

there aren't even cabs you can take.. they may have private driver that acts as a cab...

if you are planning in having pizza and beer..and getting on the road before dark.. ignore me!

I would reiterate the fact that the roads are very dangerous, no lights,and other people are drinking. Try to avoid walking any great distances at night.

But back to the fun stuff - like eating. Here is a list of restaurants in Castellina -

Albergaccio di Castellina (see also) (Castellina in Chianti Via Fiorentina, 35 Tel. +39 577 741042 - 741056 (Ab.) E-mail c/o assopec@chiantinet.it) - also mentioned in Fodor's (p. 126)

Antica Trattoria La Torre: In the main square, Castellina in Chianti. Closed Fridays.

Ristorante le tre Porte - Via Trento e Trieste 4/6/8 TEl 0577 742939

al gallopapa Ristorante Enoteca - (where Randi & Mimi ate the second night)

Pizzeria Il Fodaccio - pizzeria with a lively atmospher.

I went to Tre Porte a few years ago and it was wonderful. I had Cinghiale, wild boar, and my wife had ravioli with pumpkin and sage, zucca e salvia, with a brown butter sauce. A great meal and good prices - wine prices were reasonable too.

Buon viaggio!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks! I will definitely check a few of those out. And I promise to be home before dark - I know Italian roads and its crazy drivers pretty well.

I will second the recommendation of La Torre. We were just there last week (I'm from Canada too, eh!) and had a terrific lunch. We had a simple dish of porcini fritti (fried fresh porcini's) with just a squeeze of lemon, and it was one of the best simple dishes I've had in years.... only 11euros or something, it was a special of the day.

then a grilled hen and grilled pigeon... i think it was grilled over a charcoal fire. had some good local red wine.

If you've ever driven in the CHianti area you would know not to walk on the roads because there are many blind corners and Italians drive very fast. IT would not be wise to get drunk in Castellina and walk back to your place if it takes 1/2 hour. Even in the daytime it is not the safest walk.

If you really want to get a little intoxicated I would advise you to buy a bottle of 2 of good local wine and enjoy it outside on your farm without any worries of staggering home. There is a really good enoteca in the village and they have some wines available for tasting.

As for visiting the wineries, get a map from the tourist office in Castellina for 2 euros.... it's made by the Consorzio Vino of Chianti and is actually one of the best road maps of the area. It's almost impossible to get lost driving with this map because it lists all the wineries along the roads so you know exactly where you are.

One of the best wineries to visit is Castello di Fonterutoli.... they give a great tour and tastings are in Reidel glasses. Ask locally and look up wineries on Wine Spectator (I assume you already know which ones you plan to visit though). The wine map is similar to the Wine Route map put out by the VQA in Niagara.

Have a great time, and once again, I really advise against you walking home drunk in the dark on those win-dy village roads. It's really really unsafe.

PM me if you want more info.