• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Indian food in HNL

deliad

We are planning to be in HNL in the 2nd half of Aug. Need some recommendations for Indian food near Hilton village resort in Waikiki.

The reason for asking nearby restaurant is that I am not planning to rent a car for the entire week but will do that for a couple of days.

Would also appreciate your suggestions for 1 or 2 sight-seeing trips within the island for the days when I do rent the car. We have 2 kids 11 and 13.

For the rest of time, we are simply planning to enjoy whatever activities Hilton and Waikiki have to offer.

Thanks.

I knew of only one Indian restaurant in the immediate vicinity of the Hilton Village.

Zaffron Restaurant had an outpost on Ena Road but it is now closed.

The other Indian restaurants (India Bazaar, Maharani, India House, India Cafe) are near the university area and two others (Zaffron, Govinda's) are in the downtown direction, so you may have to use your car if you want to eat Indian food.

Maybe SK or kaukaulesa have a new one on Waikiki Island?

The closest Indian place is probably India Cafe, but it is on the end of Kapahulu Ave. farthest from Waikiki. As far as I know there is no Indian place in Waikiki. Restaurants there reflect the demands of the tourist population, and as of yet there aren't many from the subcontinent or others who demand Indian food. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

SK's right on. And close or not, coming to Honolulu to eat Indian food is like going to New Delhi for good poke.

It is not really the reason to come there, but more like, while we are there we'd like to have a few Indian meals as that is what we enjoy the most.

The real reason is to see, feel and enjoy the sights and sounds of Hawaii.

Thanks for the info, it is useful.

Cheers,

I like Zaffron, but yes, it is in downtown Honolulu... not quite Waikiki. However, if you find the Aloha Tower Marketplace on your itinerary (there are most likely free shuttles to and from the Hilton or nearby), it's a fairly reasonable walk from the Marketplace to Zaffron, which is only four blocks west and one block in from the harbor.

user posted image HawaiiThreads.com - Let's talk story!