• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian culinary euphemisms

Vikram

On one of these threads I recently described how raw jackfruit is cooked by some Muslim communities as a sort of mock meat dish and is called Tree Goat. I've been reading an interesting book, "Indian Mansions: A Social History of the Haveli" by Sarah Tillotson, where I came across this wonderful bit of information. She's talking about how cooking was done in the havelis, and how the vegatarian - non-vegetarian differences were maintained, usually with separate cooking areas:

Any cooking utensils from the vegetarian kitchen which might come into contact with the others had to be ritually cleaned. But though men might pollute their stomachs and cooking pans, purity was maintained at least for the family account books: when the munim (accountant) gave the servants money to buy food, he carefully recorded eggs and chickens as 'white potatoes' and 'moving vegetables'.

I love the idea of moving vegetables! And it occurs to me that this sort of deception is probably more common than the other one, of pretending vegetables were meat. Didn't Bengali Brahmins have a phrase for fish that translated as 'fruit of the sea'? Doesn't anyone know others?

An example of this being done, though without a special name was in a restaurant in Gujarat where the (ostensibly) strict Jain guy I was eating with, asked the waiter to make sure the bill said vegetable curry rather than the chicken curry he'd just eaten. The waiter seemed quite used to requests like this.

Another old example from Madras, with alcohol not meat, is an 'Iyengar soda'. Which was simply a whisky and soda served in a silver tumbler so that the Iyengar (very strict Brahmin) men could pretend they weren't drinking alcohol.

Vikram

Another old example from Madras, with alcohol not meat, is an 'Iyengar soda'. Which was simply a whisky and soda served in a silver tumbler so that the Iyengar (very strict Brahmin) men could pretend they weren't drinking alcohol.

similar story from pondicherry where some places without a liquor license would serve customers' their beer from a tea pot.'special tea' was what one requested and the film of grease in the cups was complimentary!

when buying beef in clandestine fashion one needs to ask for mutton 'of the big one'the small one' being- mutton! :wacko:

Edited by gingerly (log)

great topic.

i've alslo heard of these drinks called "marundhu soda"

(medicinal soda) for similar reasons.

milagai

Maybe the situation has now changed...

Unless it has changed in the past five months. On New year's eve when asked for a jin and tonic we were told at a Taj group Hotel at Cochin, Kerala that new year's eve was alcohol free day and they could't serve jin at the bar. But the waiter added that he would be happy to bring it to our room. When he brought it the bill was for just tonic! He said that they will bill for the jin next morning.

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

i've alslo heard of these drinks called "marundhu soda"

(medicinal soda) for similar reasons.

Some things are universal, apparently.

My grandfather in Newfoundland was a deeply opinionated man. One of his quirks was that he had nothing but scorn for those who drank alcohol. His house, though, was never without a bottle of brandy for medicinal purposes; specifically for those occasions when he had a "bad head" (headache).

For 50 years or so, he had a "bad head" quite reliably every Friday evening. :laugh:

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

And what my mother said when i described this thread to her is

all the old Brahmin guys doddering into the Century club Bar

and drinking their "marundhu sodas" out of silver tumblers

(silver ritually purifies anything it touches); drinking it

the SI Brahmin style "from up" (i.e. throw your head back

and glug the liquid without the cup touching your lips)

called "oopar se" in Hindi or "thooki kudikiradhu" in Tamil'

not only that, but they would cover their mouths with their

angavastrams (the upper cloth in the dhoti set)and drink

through that.

:smile:

milagai

I was visiting friends in Haridwar a holy city in the North so pure that no meat is allowed in the city bounds. At dinner I quizzed my host about the fish on the table to which he replied that it was ' ganga fal' ( friut of the ganges.

Also in delhi during the days when alcohol could not be served in restaurants, we would go to chinese restaurants and ask for 'cold tea'. They would pour beer into a teapot and we would sip it in those little cups for jasmine tea and the bill would have some very expensive cold tea on it.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
I've just picked up an excellent looking book on traditional Udipi recipes - 'Udipi Cuisine' by U.B.Rajalakshmi

thanks for the reminder!i've retrieved my copy and came across this-

milk is forbidden during ksheera vrata,but by adding a drop of buttermilk to the milk,it is considered as buttermilk which can be consumed.this is called anukoola shastra(practice of convenience)which does not interfere with the vow.

:wink:

My Bombay Gujarati/Jain friends have a code when referring to Non vegetarian expeditions in front of their Families.

A 2 wheeler is Chicken and 4 wheeler is Lamb/Goat/Mutton.

I forgot, they also refer to Non vegetarian food as :

SPARE PARTS

:laugh:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com