• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Length

Hi Alton. Nice to see you.

What would you say is the average length of time from a story idea to finished production? Could you give us some idea of the process?

(These are two questions but they're connected. I guess that's my quota.)

Ta ever so.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I get asked this one a lot and I never have a good answer. The script writing process for a set of shows (6-8 eps) can take a month or two and each show eats up two and a half days (average) of production time. Then there's a day of editing each...then voice overs and color correction and music and sound mixing...there's just no way to tell. I will tell you that by the time it's all said and done, 3.5 months can pass from the first stroke of the pen to the delivery of the last master tapes. But that's really a guess on my part. it could be as little as 3.

This is all because I'm slow...