• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thank you, Alton

What a tremendous response we've gotten for Alton Brown so far! It's only Monday morning and there've already been over twenty topics posted, amazing. I'd like to ask everyone to be sure to read through the questions already posed of our guest, before posting their own, to avoid duplication. Second, just because we're accepting two questions per user, doesn't mean you have to ask two questions. :wink: Thanks for the great response everyone.

Note: Since there are already 31 topics here for Alton to address, we're going to not release any new questions from the queue until he gets a leg up on answering these. Hopefully, we'll be able to release some more soon.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

As this Q&A passes the halfway point, I thought I'd take a moment to let you all know where we stand. Normally, during a particularly busy Q&A we might close the forum to new questions to allow the guest to finish the Q&A by Friday. However, Alton is doing his best to get to everyone's questions and didn't want us to do that. But out of consideration for his time, and in the hopes of stimulating a deeper discussion, we're going to slow down on approving new topics, while we ask him some follow up questions.

Please note, if your question doesn't make it through the mod queue, you will still be eligible for the book giveaway drawing at the end of the week.

Thanks for your understanding.

I feel it is time to shut this Q&A down to new questions. There are about 20 topics that Alton needs to get to in the public forum, and dozens still waiting to be released from the moderation queue. We'll be leaving this open for Alton to reply to questions as long as he is willing. But unfortunately, I doubt he'll be able to get through everything, so there's no point in accepting more questions.

A lot of the questions that haven't been released seem to be ones that should be posted in our regular forums, so I hope the new members who came to eGullet for Alton Brown's Q&A stick around and post them in the appropriate forum. Actually, as I have time over the next few days, I may move some of these myself. Like this one, about grinding nuts, which I felt would get a good response in the Pastry & Baking Forum.

If your question did not make it to the forum and you would like the text sent back to you so you can post it elsewhere on eGullet, just send me a PM (click the Messages link, under the Members link, in the upper right hand portion of the screen) and I'll send it back to you.

Thanks for your understanding and I hope you enjoy the rest of the Q&A even if your question doesn't get answered.

~~~

May 30, 2004

Congratulations to the following members for winning a copy of Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen. Please send me your mailing address so AB's publisher can send you your book:

• chicagowench
    FoodMan
    LemonZest
    PoetsGirl
    SWoodyWhite

In addition, Alton said he will try to get to some more of the remaining questions this weekend. Unfortunately he's been having trouble with his ISP. We all know how that goes!

~~~

I just wanted to add a big THANK YOU to Alton Brown for participating in this eGullet Q&A.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)